My undying love for Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pop is my 3rd favourite album... nothing much I can say that hasn't already been said really, great album.

Although Pop seems to be appreciated on this forum by most, Pop is U2s most underrated album IMO... absolutely love it... :)

I really never found a home for Pop. Honestly for me it was too entrenched in the gritty (and not AB gritty either) and too earthbound to be U2. Pop never moved past that hot Miami day towards something more spiritual and powerful. And I like my U2 spiritual and powerful.

Otherwise a fine collection of songs. I guess they just never hit me.

hola amigos :wave:

i just listened to :madspit: :wink: :drool: POP today and i maintain that it is tied for first on my favorite U2 album list with :| :wink: :drool: atomic bomb.

yes, the spanish using :madspit: :wink: :drool: iPod u2 are my band still. pop and atomic bomb share #1 favorite album for me. it is incredibly amazing stuff, both albums amigos!!

that's all for now

I say it again. We should have a Best Ponkine Impression contest! :wink:

Ponkine, if you're reading this.. it's all in good fun.

Pop is definitely in my top 5.
I like the darkness the album exudes. It is very much a 'half to be in the right mood' album.

However, Discotheque is one of my least favorite U2 songs. I usually skip right to DYFL.

StlElevation said:
i just listened to :madspit: :wink: :drool: POP today and i maintain that it is tied for first on my favorite U2 album list with :| :wink: :drool: atomic bomb.

My two least favourite U2 albums!

But I shouldn't be going into a pop appreciation thread without saying something remotely good about the album so, let me just say the discoteque video makes me laugh

and that's about all the praise pop's gonnna get from me

Zootlesque said:
I say it again. We should have a Best Ponkine Impression contest! :wink:

Ponkine, if you're reading this.. it's all in good fun.

I'll say it again holmes, if you make the thread, I'll post in it.

AtomicBono said:

I'll say it again holmes, if you make the thread, I'll post in it.

Yeah... I thought about that. I don't know if it'll get as many responses as we would like. After all there can't be too much variation from the one you made, which was funny as hell. Also, it would probably be kinda mean. :shrug: :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Yeah... I thought about that. I don't know if it'll get as many responses as we would like. After all there can't be too much variation from the one you made, which was funny as hell. Also, it would probably be kinda mean. :shrug: :wink:

Well we could put a positive spin on it... "AtomicBono's Ponkine Impression Appreciation Thread." If you put the word 'appreciation' in it, the thread automatically will live to at least two pages without mod interruption. Add the word "heartland" and you're guarunteed 20 pages of :drool: and :heart: smilies :wink: plus, you'll be appreciating MY brilliance :D :wink:

MsMofoGone said:
I love Pop ... an INCREDIBLE album !! :love:

As for the two BEST songs, check out my username ... that pretty much says it all !! :wink:

Ms? That's not a song. It's not even two... unless you cut it so it looks like M and S. But they still aren't songs.

Do you think this album is worth paying $26 for? I will eventually get it but Boy is only $12.

COBL_04 said:

Ms? That's not a song. It's not even two... unless you cut it so it looks like M and S. But they still aren't songs.

Do you think this album is worth paying $26 for? I will eventually get it but Boy is only $12.

It's worth $100000000000.

Wait, I take it back, no CD is worth that much, move to America so you can buy cheaper CDs.

Go ahead and get Boy. You can buy Pop later and appreciate how brilliant it is, especially in contrast.

COBL_04 said:

Pop is certainly not worth 26 dollars in my opinion,

I'm just curious as to what albums you haven't got yet COBL_04

Unforgettable fire, war and October are only ten bucks in Capricorn records. I'd suggest you get one of these, all better and all cheaper than pop.

The albums I currently own -

War (cost me $10)
The Joshua Tree ($26)
Achtung Baby ($26)
The Best of 1980 - 1990 ($26)
All That You Can't Leave Behind ($21)
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (I didn't pay for it)

(That's opposite to order of purchase).

You live in Geelong. Where is Capricorn records? Can I get U2 albums for cheaper than $26 goddam dollars?

PoP is not the most underrated album, for sure R&H or October are the ones...

But it has the most underrated song: The Playboy Mansion :drool: :drool: :drool:

COBL_04 said:

I was speaking of Mofo and Gone ... as those two songs are in my user !! :applaud:
:hmm: Most people would understand that Ms is of course because I am female !! :wink:

Originally posted by COBL_04
Do you think this album is worth paying $26 for?

That's too bad it costs that much !! :ohmy:
It's not that expensive here in the U.S. but I'd still get it as it is a GREAT album !! :bow:

COBL_04 said:

War (cost me $10)
The Joshua Tree ($26)
Achtung Baby ($26)

You live in Geelong. Where is Capricorn records? Can I get U2 albums for cheaper than $26 goddam dollars?

so?

COBL_04 said:

War (cost me $10)
The Joshua Tree ($26)
Achtung Baby ($26)

If you're asking if Pop is up there with AB and JT then yes, in my opinion it is.

For me, Pop is a great album. Miami is the only song I could do without. However, I hardly listen to the official Pop record anymore. This is because I created my own Pop CD, simply because since the album came out, I have preferred other versions of several songs from it (although I still like some album versions instead). And when I use those songs in place of the album versions, it blows it away.

So I love my version of Pop. :wink:

phanan said:
For me, Pop is a great album. Miami is the only song I could do without. However, I hardly listen to the official Pop record anymore. This is because I created my own Pop CD, simply because since the album came out, I have preferred other versions of several songs from it (although I still like some album versions instead). And when I use those songs in place of the album versions, it blows it away.

So I love my version of Pop. :wink:

I guess you use the best of version of Gone...? I love it, it's so much friendly that the PoP one, Bono's voice is better, as I said in another topic, looks like he's out of the timing of the song in PoP version and his voice sounds bad in some parts

But that's a problem from almost all the PoP album... I really like that album, it's so different from the others, but Bono's voice is a low point IMO.

On the other hand, :edge: and especially :larry: and, maybe even more :adam:, made a great work

I use the Best Of version of Gone, yes. I also prefer the single versions of LNOE and IGWSHA. Additionally, for Please, I kind of edited the first half of the album version together with the second half of the single version. I like the rhythm and vibe of the album version, but having Edge's guitar solo at the end is a must. I must say it ain't that bad.

I also removed Miami and included HMTMKMKM, which to my ears mixes in well on Pop.

COBL_04 said:

War (cost me $10)
The Joshua Tree ($26)
Achtung Baby ($26)

Hmmm, I suppose you live in Geelong. Capricorn records is on the corner of Ryrie street and Moorabool street opposite kfc.

You can get unforgattable fire, october, boy, live at red rocks and under a blood red sky all for for ten dollars each there.

Pop is still probably pretty expensive, and it really is an acquired taste, you either love pop or hate it. I recommend you get one of the above before you get pop

phanan said:
I use the Best Of version of Gone, yes. I also prefer the single versions of LNOE and IGWSHA. Additionally, for Please, I kind of edited the first half of the album version together with the second half of the single version. I like the rhythm and vibe of the album version, but having Edge's guitar solo at the end is a must. I must say it ain't that bad.

I also removed Miami and included HMTMKMKM, which to my ears mixes in well on Pop.

Hey phanan, would you mind sending me that mixed version of Please? Jrasruck2@aol.com - would be greatful.

^Just saw this. I'm not at home at the moment, which is where it is. But I'll try to shoot it off to you this week.

It's not really a mix per se, just the first half of the album version up to the pause about two and a half minutes in, and then continuing on with the second half of the single version. But it kinda works.

Since this thread is on the first page again :rockon:, here's my rankings of each Pop song.

Discotheque 8/5 (it's the song that got me into U2...)
Do You Feel Loved 6/5
Mofo 6/5
If God Will Send His Angels 5/5
Staring at the Sun 4.5/5
Last Night on Earth 5/5
Gone 6/5
Miami 4.5/5
The Playboy Mansion 4/5
If You Wear That Velvet Dress 4.5/5
Please 5/5 (live it's like 100/5, but this is based on album versions only)
Wake Up Dead Man 5/5

So Pop gets an average of 5.3/5 from me.

AtomicBono said:

Discotheque 8/5 (it's the song that got me into U2...)

So Discotheque to you is like Even Better Than The Real Thing for me. :cool:

I got into them after watching that video! :drool:

Zootlesque said:

So Discotheque to you is like Even Better Than The Real Thing for me. :cool:

I got into them after watching that video! :drool:

I don't blame you, what a great video :drool: I think ZooTV era had the best U2 vids, but Pop had some great ones too. I adore the Discotheque video, and I think the Please video was fantastic as well. Staring at the Sun and Last Night on Earth were spiffy.

Jack In The Box said:
Miami is ok, the weak track is The Playboy Mansion

imo Miami is the best track on the album, but i do agree that The Playboy Mansion is the weakest.

I also think Mofo, Please, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, and Wake Up Dead Man are very good.

Back
Top Bottom