My U2´s ultimate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola amigos Here goes a little review of U2´s 30 Greatest Hits, from Boy until ATYCLB, performed live. This is the corrected final version. Also I reduced the number of "Greatest Hits", putting here just the most popular U2 songs.

1- I Will Follow: This song has been played in every Tour since Boy Tour, 1980, until Elevation Tour 2001. In the early Tours, this song was pure young energy but sometimes Adam´s bass sucks Was barely played during Zoo TV tour, only in 1993.
Best Versions: Unforgettable Fire Tour & Lovetown Tour

2- Sunday Bloody Sunday: No words... a Classic. Played for the first time in 1982 ( several months before War LP releasing date )
is one of the U2´s anthems. This song wasn´t played during Lovetown Tour. Then was played during Zoo TV "Outside Broadcast". During Pop Mart Tour was changed 100%, with Edge´s vocals and guitar. Returned full band version during Elevation Tour.
Best Versions: War Tour & Joshua Tree Tour

3- New Year´s Day: Another classic, also played for the first time in 1982. Has been played during every U2 tour since 1982. Early Tours version are just amazing.
Best Versions: War Tour & Unforgettable Fire Tour

4- Pride ( in the name of love ): Another "no words" classic. Also this song has been played on every U2 tour since 1984. Early versions are awesome, as well Zoo TV ones.
Best Versions: Unforgettable Fire Tour & Zoo TV Tour

5- Bad: This is U2 at their best. This song has been played on every U2 tour since 1984, despite during Pop Mart Tour was played just a few times. The Live Aid version is something you must listen. This is probably the song which has the most snippets on it, like "Walk On The Wild Side", "40", "Ruby Tuesday", "Simpathy For The Devil", "Biko", "WGRYWH", "All I Want Is You", "Candle In The Wind", etc. Also this is the longest live U2 live song ever ( more than 15 minutes in 1985 ) as well "40".
Best Versions: Live Aid 1985 & Joshua Tree Tour

6- WTSHNN: without a doubt, is a highlight on every U2 concert.
Played on every U2 Tour since 1987.
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Zoo TV Tour

7- ISHFWILF: Usually this is a sensitive live moment. Played on every U2 Tour since 1987
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Lovetown Tour

8- With Or Without You: One of the most waited songs by fans.
Played on every U2 tour since 1987. The early 80´s versions are clearly the best ones.
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Lovetown Tour

9- Bullet The Blue Sky: A great live number. Played on every U2 tour since 1987.
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Zoo TV Tour

10- Running To Stand Still: Was a great highlight during Zoo TV Tour, with a different version. This song wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour, and was played only 2 times during Elevation Tour, but those versions were just acoustic and Bono didn´t sing all lyrics.
Best Versions: Lovetown Tour & Zoo TV Tour

11- Desire: This has been probably one of the most weak live numbers since Zoo TV Tour, despite studio version is so powerful.
Played a few times during Pop Mart Tour, only Lovetown Tour Versions are truly Great. Another song played on every U2 tour since its first tour, in 1989.
Best Versions: Lovetown Tour

12- Angel Of Harlem: This song was also performed with BB King during Lovetown Tour. Wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour, after Lovetown Tour this has been an acoustic number. Returned back during Elevation Tour.

13- All I Want Is You: Just Lovetown Tour are worth have, since during the 90´s this song was shortened. During Zoo TV tour was just played as a snippet after Bad. Was played as a real song during Pop Mart and Elevation Tours. I don´t know why, but U2 hasn´t played a version with full strings ending.

14- The Fly: A classic Zoo TV tune, wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour, returned back during Elevation Tour, with a different version.
Best Versions: Zoo Tv Tour & Elevation Tour

15- EBTTRT: This song has been played on every U2 Tour since 1992, but it was played a few times during Elevation Tour.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour & Pop Mart Tour

16- Mysterious Ways: This one has been a long live number, with Edge´s slide solo at the end. Played on every U2 Tour since 1992.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour

17- One: "One" of the fans favourite. The best versions of this song has been played in places for an special moment, like Sarajevo, Santiago, etc.
Played on every U2 tour since 1992
Best Versions: Zoo TV & Pop Mart Tour

18- Lemon: Played just 10 times, in 1993, during Zoomerang leg of Zoo TV. Usually was shorter than original version, and nothing special live.

19- Numb: Another song played only in 1993. I think this is not a good live number, but is a good way to show many images, sound effects, etc.

20- Stay: This song wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour. Returned back during Elevation Tour. This song always has been an acoustic number, even during Elevation Tour just with Bono & The Edge.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour

21- Miss Sarajevo: Just played 2 times, in 1995 ( Italy ) and 1997 ( Bosnia ). is the less "Greatest Hits" U2 song played.

22- HMTMKMKM: Played only during Pop Mart Tour, was a great encore number, with killer Edge´s guitar.

23- Discotheque: Played on every U2 tour since 1997, this song was a highlight during Pop Mart Tour. Also this song usually contained several snippets, like "Staying Alive", "Whole Lotta Love", "Staring At The Sun", etc
Best Versions: Pop Mart Tour & Elevation Tour

24- Staring At The Sun: the first version of this song was horrible, the band had to go with another take, like a reharsal. Lately just Bono & The Edge sang this song, and the song really improved. At the first part of Elevation Tour was just a snippet after Discotheque.
Best Versions: Pop Mart Tour

25- Last Night On Earth: When Bono´s voice was on good shape, this song was killer !!, mainly at the end, when Bono went to the crowd with his guitar. Played only during Pop Mart Tour.

26- Please: This song was very different live. Contained an extraordinary Edge´s solo, and it was always longer, and amazing. Then was played a few times during Elevation Tour, but as an acoustic number. Unlike many other acoustic numbers played during this tour ( Running To Stand Still, People Get Ready, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, etc ) this song was really a highlight live, because was so different and beautiful.
Best Versions: Pop Mart & Elevation Tour.

27- Beautiful Day: Played for the first time in 2000, the early version weren´t good, mainly beacause of Bono´s screams, rather than singing. Then improved well.

28- Elevation: When Bono didn´t rap at the end, was so, so good.

29- Stuck In A Moment: Dedicated many times to INXS dead Singer Michael ... ( Sorry I don´t know how to write his last name now ). Usually was one of the best ATYCLB live songs.

30- Walk On: The first versions were clearly better, without all that "40", "Halleluyah", etc because you can notice Bono didn´t know 100% how to sing that snippets. It was a good live song, but I don´t think is a great end number ( Love Is Blidness or "40" were better )

well, as you can see, there´re many "Greatest Hits" that were performed better during the 80´s or 90´s. Also there´re other "Greatest Hits" performed a few times.

So here´s my ultimate question my friends:

For this new tour... U2 should go with a "Greatest Hits" live or with a new and different setlist, with rare songs like Acrobat, Exit, All Along The Watchover, Please ( acoustic ), Running To Stand Still ( back again ), Dancing Barefoot ( acoustic B-side ), In God´s Country, The First Time, Zooropa, One Tree Hill, etc ?

my answer is ... GO WITH A NEW AND DIFFERENT SETLIST !!!! :bow: :up: :heart: :D :yes: :laugh: :drunk:

please Elvis, don´t move this topic, since fans don´t post often on U2 Tour Central area !!!!

Last edited:
Rare stuff is always good from where I sit! Your list is pretty good, but UTEOTW should really be in there somewhere! perhaps instead of ebttrt..

Dirty Day was also quite awesome live, though not much played, as was One Tree Hill, and Love Is Blindness.. but not hits so I can see why they wouldn't be included here.

I dunno if I'd agree with Angel of Harlem being on that list.. good song, sure, but not a live standout

Back
Top Bottom