my god i just re-fell in love with the Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
havn't really listened to the Fly in a long time...but heard it today, and just fell in love with it all over again...the solo alone makes my hairs stand up

The album version is outstanding, and it pales into comparison to any live version of it.

That says it all.

its tied with streets for my favorite song eva

i could never fall out of love with it

Boston Elevation version owns all

The Fly was the worst omission on U2:18 IMO. Clearly the song of the 90's. Not just because it's great, but because of what it is...if one song embodies what U2 did in the 90's it's Fly - song, video, and live performances/arrangements.

i got two early demos of the fly on a album i made up of studio demos/album outtakes.
One is a very clean sounding song, with until the end of the world riff through the main verses, but with a clean jangley, wah fly solo, and alot of bono an edge singing at the same time (ala fly chorus).
from what i can gather, the first song was an idea that split into two songs, end of world, an the fly. great to listen to it and realise where the songs came from.
the second version i got is not that much like the fly we no today. and can quite easly be passed as a seperate song (maybe it is?). the guitar sounds like bullets being shot with the main riff, amazing sound. it dont really have much in common with the fly, except the key its in, and some of the music. it has the fly feeling there.

if anyone wants me to email them give me a shout. i dont read this thread much, so its easyer if you contact me direct.
MSN/Email- Deano.uk@gmail.com
ps, fly is a great song, studio and live, lounge mix on KIWI is great too.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Edge has gone on record saying he feels the song is dated. It's up there in my all time top ten tunes (that counts for a lot) and includes the greatest ever guitar solo bar none. Sounds more fresh and relevant to me than anything on their past two studio albums.

mandrake said:
Sao Paulo is the best version from the Vertigo tour.

:yes:

And what a great great song... It's a shame that it's not very known among general public... It's one of the best songs of the 90's in my opinion (wich can't be taken very seriously cause, honestly, I don't know much about the 90's music:wink: )

I love the second verse from San Paolo...the cool little riff that Edge does way up high on the neck

Back
Top Bottom