My favorite U2 song of all time: "Miami"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My friends and I used to say that Miami and Mofo were the polar experimental songs on the record......it was kind of like Mofo versus Miami battles....which is better.....I remember a lot of jabbing going on at Popmart when all of us went when both songs were played. Larry Mullen Jr. is awesome with his "When the Levee Breaks" impression.

Michael Griffiths said:
I love that spliced up, jagged guitar sound (how did Edge do that?) when Bono just lets loose..."MIAMI!!!" That's one of the coolest noises on the entire album, which is saying a lot.

What Michael said :yes:

The song is great, it sounds like Larry played a drum beat and then they laid it down backwards or something. Pre-"New York."

I just love the funk of this song.Its a very polished one unlike the hip hop thing. Just change the lyrics and you have re-invented the punk rock.

imo the best live Miami version comes from the Nuremburg Popmart. It's a soundboard recording so the samples and guitar effects are very amplified. Bono's vocals explode on this version too.

What's with all the Pop bashing? Sure it's no Joshua Tree, but it's still U2. If bands didn't experiment with their music style they would get bland fast (boy bands anyone?) and just drop off the chart.

I like Pop.......Discotheque was the song that got me hooked on U2 in the first place. Pop made me go out and buy Achtung Baby, and then The Joshua Tree.....then the rest. Pop started it all for me.

Do us Pop fans a favor and stop dissing songs like Miami, Discotheque, and Mofo just because they might not be as good as One or Where The Streets Have No Name.

Apples and oranges!

This message is a reply to the first page of this topic. I just had to write this after reading half of that page.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

If you're saying Pop doesn't have a lot of cool noises, then you're crazy.
cool noises compared to most other U2 albums: perhaps
cool noises compared to work by other artists: maybe
noises that fit the songs: IMO not really

but you can just call me crazy

I love POP but must say that Miami is not my most fave song fromt his album but I like it nonetheless....I think the thing that I love the most about Pop is the whole feel of the album and taht era in U2s career- I love the kind of cuban/castro/sunny/outkast kind of vibe of this album and time- the look and the sound that the guys had was great- my only bummer is that I really did not appreciate it enough when it came out- I always seem to do this since Achtung Baby- it takes me awhile to get into the new music and once I have got into it, which is usually about a year or two later all of the hype has gone and they have moved onto something else- like I was really digging POP in 1999 and to this day I still have not got onto the ATYCLB boat- but I know I will and then in a few years I will be wishing that they still had this thing with suitcases and Edge still wore that really nice glittery guitar strap-----anyway went off topic for a bit....but anyway back tot he question I wouldn't say Miami is my fave U2 sng ever- not by a long shot, but Gone is up there for me and Mofo and If God will send his Angels, lots of POP is goooooooood, pop is goooood:)

POP rules! I think it's my number 3 now...

1. AB
2. October
3. POP

I've just recently been listening to Miami and The Playboy Mansion a lot.

Back
Top Bottom