My Experiment (Zooropa)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Well, if it's true torture, I'll stop.
wink.gif

I think a big problem with Pop for many people was the way it looked and the fact that Bono had no hair.
biggrin.gif

Actually alot of my friends ( including I'ME'MINE ) liked his hair-cut , i just think that he should cut his hair now , better for him will be , not shave his head ofcource but a short hair-cut will be very good to him , cause when he had a long hair during , uf-JT-AB-ZPA period , it looked very cool , but now his old hair isn't so beautiful as it was , anyway i adore his short and long hair , just with short hair-cut he'll be looking much better
smile.gif

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Actually alot of my friends ( including I'ME'MINE ) liked his hair-cut , i just think that he should cut his hair now , better for him will be , not shave his head ofcource but a short hair-cut will be very good to him , cause when he had a long hair during , uf-JT-AB-ZPA period , it looked very cool , but now his old hair isn't so beautiful as it was , anyway i adore his short and long hair , just with short hair-cut he'll be looking much better
smile.gif

All I know is that a friend of mine went to the Popmart show in Vancouver and informed me afterward "Bono is now completely bald" (he had no hair AT ALL at that show) and frankly, I would probably have freaked!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I also think releasing Discotheque as the first single was a bad move, I guess maybe they wanted to make a real statement but a lot of people really didn't like it.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by mug222:

"Obviously"? I had no idea that was the accepted view...I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum, but is this really the popular opinion around here? I have always thought that Bono's voice on ATYCLB was equally, if not more, passionate compared to previous albums.

Again, that was just my viewpoint. I simply don't find his vocals being as passionate on ATYCLB as they were on, say, The Unforgettable Fire or Achtung Baby. However, this is not to say Bono still is not a fantastic singer and capab;e of expressing a great deal more emotion than 95% of the other male vocalists around today. I like the way his voice sounds on ATYCLB; it sounds different, it cracks more, it's somewhat thinner, but I like it nonetheless.

I'm still trying with the Zooropa album. I just listened to it a little while ago actually. I like the songs Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Stay, The First Time, and Dirty Day. The rest of the album I don't like much. I used to not like Numb, but I realised that what you have to do with that song is play it loud in order to appreciate it. If you play it with the volume lower, it loses its effect.

Mulholland:

GREAT POSTS. Well thought out and presented. Not bad for a newbie.
wink.gif

Everyone else, I have to agree with Mulholland that Bonos "sounds" older, but that's not a bad thing: think of Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson. There's CHARACTER in their voices, particularly as they aged.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Mulholland:

wink.gif

Everyone else, I have to agree with Mulholland that Bonos "sounds" older, but that's not a bad thing: think of Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson. There's CHARACTER in their voices, particularly as they aged.

Thanks for the welcome.
smile.gif
I may be a newbie here, but at 20 years old and having spent nearly 3/4 of my life following U2, I'm no newbie to the music.
wink.gif

Well, for me and the people I know, (yes some have been on this forum) it's both- I didn't like the music and I didn't like the lack of hair! Ivan, you are crazy. I am very happy to see Bono grow his hair again! He looks so much better. I hope he never cuts it any shorter than the ATYCLB cover, though I wish he'd grow his ponytail back! Ivan, you're wrong- Bono's hair IS still beautiful. Oh, man, think how old he'd look without it, like any old man. Even though I liked his long hair best, I do think what he has now is the best thing for him the way he looks now, and he knows it! I think there is a reason Bono has had a decent amount of hair for the majority of his life- maybe HE likes it?!
wink.gif
I would say Ali likes it too. Besides, rock stars need hair to shake around
wink.gif

Hair is a taboo subject, Ivan. You'd know that if you read PLEBA. But Scatteroflight, though it IS about the music, and looks shouldn't matter blah blah blah, you gotta admit, he did/does look better WITH hair
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
!

Now, what about this Zooropa album?
wink.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

[This message has been edited by Autumn454 (edited 01-26-2002).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
All I know is that a friend of mine went to the Popmart show in Vancouver and informed me afterward "Bono is now completely bald" (he had no hair AT ALL at that show) and frankly, I would probably have freaked!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I also think releasing Discotheque as the first single was a bad move, I guess maybe they wanted to make a real statement but a lot of people really didn't like it.

year , Bald-Bono was way tooo much , even for me .
Discotheque as a single was a good move , the big mistake was to release it 6-7 months before POP was in stores , the break was too long , and crap music video which is one of the worst U2 videos ever done , the song is so much higher then video , biiiiiiig mistake /.

Originally posted by Autumn454:
Well, for me and the people I know, (yes some have been on this forum) it's both- I didn't like the music and I didn't like the lack of hair! Ivan, you are crazy. I am very happy to see Bono grow his hair again! He looks so much better. I hope he never cuts it any shorter than the ATYCLB cover, though I wish he'd grow his ponytail back! Ivan, you're wrong- Bono's hair IS still beautiful. Oh, man, think how old he'd look without it, like any old man. Even though I liked his long hair best, I do think what he has now is the best thing for him the way he looks now, and he knows it! I think there is a reason Bono has had a decent amount of hair for the majority of his life- maybe HE likes it?!
wink.gif
I would say Ali likes it too.

Hair is a taboo subject, Ivan. You'd know that if you read PLEBA. But Scatteroflight, though it IS about the music, and looks shouldn't matter blah blah blah, you gotta admit, he did/does look better WITH hair
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
!

Now, what about this Zooropa album?
wink.gif

Here's a real Bonolution for ya : to cut his hair in Punk/Taxi-driver/RedHotChilliPepper style
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

TravisBickle.gif

ARGH! NO Ivan, go away! *Shivers*
eek.gif

I have a question- of those who do not like Pop or Zooropa, which do you like best, lesser of the evils, and why? Me, I prefer Zooropa, even though I don't care for anything on it but the title track and Stay. It just does't give me a headache like Pop does. Scatteroflight said she likes Pop better. I would be interested in hearing what others think. I don't mean those of you who love them both, I mean those who don't really care for either.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Mulholland:

wink.gif

Thanks Bubba , but Bono is from the other part of show-biz ( thank god !!!!) , he's not a country singer , not a pop star and his name is not so cool as " Johnnny Cash " . He's just a singer in the group , and besides his voice is really cracking up now
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL, Ivan (I might be the only one laughing...)

Anyway, 80s, I'm glad you're finding some redeeming value in Zooropa
wink.gif
. There's a lot of philosophy involved in it, really. Great music, if you can into the style.

I find Bono's singing on ATYCLB just as passionate as ever, even if it's admittedly not as flamboyant. If anything, I feel that there's more depth to his current singing -because- he's learned to restrain himself at the right moments to the maximum effect, whereas some of his earlier vocals strike me as if he's trying too hard to show how strongly he feels about something.

Bono may not have the power in his voice he once had, but he has the ability to convey much more emotion now. And he actually is a much better singer technically-wise now. A song like In A Little While might have sounded pretty cheesey and silly if done by 80's Bono, but now he makes it seem oh-so sincere. And listen to a recording of Bad from this tour (not the DVD one, that was not a good night). The "wide awake" note has never sounded so beautiful if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom