My completely arbitrary U2 video top 10!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here you go. At least I try and explain why - U2 aren't exactly known for their good videos but they do make a good go at it on occasion!

Discotheque (1996) You either hate or love this one. I love it. This is the video that should really be played more often. Instead, a lot of people couldn't quite grasp the concept of U2 having a bit of fun, so it isn't. Shame.

Mysterious Ways (1991) From the same director as Discotheque, this is one of those videos which has become intrinsically linked with the song. Admit it - when you hear Mysterious Ways you think dancing snakes!

Lemon (1993) Where to start on this masterpiece? Men in motion. Widescreen. Black and white, yet also colour. Deadpan. Simple. Ridiculous. Yet great.

All I Want Is You (1988) Again those favourites of black and white and widescreen. Always brings a touch of class. But what's this? U2 are barely in this video! No matter, we're too bothered about who died at the end (by the way, it is the small guy. I think).

The Unforgettable Fire (1985) Okay, so parts of it are a rip-off from New Year's Day, but it matters not. Another one of those videos which follows the mood, with the song itself conjuring up its images. And who can fail to be impressed by those twirly lit-up carnival thingies? (I'm sure someone can contribute the correct terminology there!)

One (1992) Three to choose from here, but in this case I'm talking about the buffalo version. This really is simplicity itself - and again, for the most part, U2 are barely in it. In fact, it would have been better had they been left out. Minimalistastic!

Numb (1993) You'll probably notice that most of the best videos have a simple premise. In this one, it's to try and put Edge off his singing. Fair play to the lad, he manages to keep a straight face... but did they really do it in one take?!

Beautiful Day (2000) Little did us believers know it at the time, but this could very well have been the video which safeguarded U2's future, at least for the next few years. Carpets, apples and airplanes all feature. Nice hair Bono!

The Fly (1991) "Prepare for Zoo TV" was the main point behind this one... get ready for the new U2. It also helped that his was also the best ever performance video by the group. Complete with what appears to be a flying Larry.

Miss Sarajevo (1995) Technically not a U2 video, but hey let's not quibble. Bill Carter's documentary spliced with more performance video, it works perfectly. And it actually does seem to carry a message.

Red Hill Mining Town (1987) Possibly the most talked about U2 video of all time, and little wonder. A myriad of cameo appearances - not least from the foursome's naked bodies - and amazing special effects mark this out as a classic. What do you mean you haven't seen it?!

bullet the blue sky said:

Red Hill Mining Town (1987) Possibly the most talked about U2 video of all time, and little wonder. A myriad of cameo appearances - not least from the foursome's naked bodies - and amazing special effects mark this out as a classic. What do you mean you haven't seen it?!

Wha? :eek: Are you for real? :eyebrow:

My list:

1. Desire ( :larry: fireman)

2. Numb

3. Electrical Storm :D

4. Unforgettable Fire

5. Chiristmas Baby Please Come Home (I just like it, don't know why)

6. Spanish Eyes (c'mon, Larry riding a bike, daww!)

7. ISHFWILF

8. EBTTRT (Remix)

9. One (drag)

10. Stay

Re: Re: My completely arbitrary U2 video top 10!

flaming june said:

Wha? :eek: Are you for real? :eyebrow:

My list:

1. Desire
2. Numb
3. Electrical Storm :D
5. Chiristmas Baby Please Come Home
6. Spanish Eyes
7. ISHFWILF
8. EBTTRT (Remix)
9. One (drag)
10. Stay

I agree with these!!!!:yes:

I love how goofy bono is in Spainsh Eyes and i LOVE adams wink in Baby its Xmas!!!!

Numb (1993) You'll probably notice that most of the best videos have a simple premise. In this one, it's to try and put Edge off his singing. Fair play to the lad, he manages to keep a straight face... but did they really do it in one take?!
Two takes, actually, according to the Bible. During the instrumental bit in the middle, Edge falls over or something (I can't remember) and the rest is from the second take.

Anyway:

1. "Lemon"
2. "Miss Sarajevo"
3. "Beautiful Day"
4. "Stay"
5. "Hold Me, Thrill Me..."

I like the artsy-fartsy ones.

In no particular order:

Stay
Electrical Storm
One (the one in the bar)
WOWY
HMTMKMKM
Numb
Desire
Sunday, Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Honorable mention: The Sweetest Thing, Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)

A Sort of Homecoming
Beautiful Day
The Fly
Last Night on Earth
Lemon
New Year's Day
One (Original Version)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
The Unforgettable Fire

Weakest Five:
Elevation
I Will Follow
Staring at the Sun (Original Version)
Stuck In A Moment That You Can't Get Out Of (Europe)
With or Without You

Red Hill Mining Town (1987) Possibly the most talked about U2 video of all time, and little wonder. A myriad of cameo appearances - not least from the foursome's naked bodies - and amazing special effects mark this out as a classic. What do you mean you haven't seen it?! [/B]

do you HAVE this?

One (bar)
Stay
Desire
The Unforgettable Fire
Pride (version 2)
Stuck (European)
WGRYWH
WOWY
Mysterious Ways
Streets

My reasons? BONO LOOKED HOT IN ALL OF THEM! :drool: And that is what visual U2 is all about (to me)- Bono's beauty and sex appeal :love:

Ooh...let's see...

In no particular order:

10. Mysterious Ways: I like the camera work in this video, the funky, weird, spastic movements and all that, the guys all stretched out and everything. People on an acid trip would have a field day watching that video.

9. Discotheque: I love this video, too. I think it's hilarious-the guys are dressed up in Village People-esque outfits at the end and doing their little "boom-cha!" dance...priceless.

8. Lemon: It's artsy. It's weird. And that makes it cool. Plus, I think the black and white work very well for the video.

7. Stay (Faraway, So Close!): I like the whole thing with the guys as angels of sorts or something to that effect-that's neat.

6. I Will Follow: I think this video's just too cute...the guys look so young! And I giggle every time I watch Bono attempt to dance in that video. My sister loves to joke about that now...every time she sees the video she's like, "Do the Bono!"

5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: I like how the guys are just hanging out downtown and interacting with the people on the sidewalk and the passerby, and Bono's dancing and being all flirty and everything...it's just neat. Plus, Bono's actions he does throughout the video I could've totally seen my crush from last year doing, so that is a personal reason as to why I like this video.

4. One: I'm talking about both the bar version and the buffalo version (I haven't seen the drag version yet, so...). The bar version I like because of how simple the video idea is. The buffalo version I like because of the whole thing with the word "one" against a black background in big letters, and then there's all the other ways to say "one" in other languages, and then the whole thing with the flowers and the running buffalo-that version's actually kinda creepy in a way...but at the same time it's neat.

3. Please: Again, another creepy video, kinda, but it's got an interesting concept to it, and with all the stuff that happens in there...just interesting.

2. Where The Streets Have No Name: I so wish I could've been at the place where this video was shot. Just the fact that it was all real, that the cameras just kept rolling as the police were freaking out and U2 just continued to play despite the police being there and all that...awesome. Just awesome.

1. The Sweetest Thing: I think this may be my favorite U2 video. I think it's so adorable-he really goes all out to apologize to Ali. It's such a sweet gesture. And I like that. :).

Angela

10. The Fly
9. ISHFWILF
8. Elevation
7. Electrical Storm
6. Beautiful Day
5. Unforgettable Fire
4. WTSHNN
3. Stay
2. One
1. RHMT- I never knew it existed until now but it sounds awesome even though I can't download it.
bawling.gif

Last edited:
Mine in no particular order:

Stay
Discotheque
Sweetest Thing
Please
Stuck (Euro)
WGRYWH
One (drag)
Streets
Miss Sarajevo
Walk On (Brazil or wherever it is....)

Since I finally bought the best of DVD this weekend, I feel that I can now make some proper comments to your thread. ;)

*note there are many PLEBAesque remarks*

1.Discotheque ?because i enjoy seeing Larry pissed off dressed up as a cowboy. I believe he borrowed that cowboy hat from his son Aaron.
2.Staring At The Sun (not the Miami version) ? the light concept for this video was unique. Not to mention Larry looked pretty damn hot in it. ;)
3.Pride (not the Slane Castle version) ? this video because it was one of the first U2 videos that I remember seeing on MTV as a kid.
4.Stay - one of my favorite songs and just a pretty video, however the female singer's mouth annoys me. I like the concept of U2 being angels.
5.Miss Sarajevo - deep and meaningful video about War
6.Lemon - just a cool concept for a video. Oh and Larry looked hot.
7.Mysterious Ways - uh, bono and Larry on the ground, hello!
8.Desire - :drool:
9.Streets - U2 being defiant in downtown LA. Love it!
10.The Unforgettable Fire - it is all about Larry's smile. ;)

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
8.Desire - :drool:

I think that pretty much sums up why "Desire" is a great video.

Heh, my mom said recently that even though she's not nearly as into Bono as I am, when they were talking about Bono wearing the vest and the leather pants and all that on that "I Love The 80's" thing, and they showed that clip of Bono walking down that alley from the "Desire" video, she admits that he looked really cute there...I was so happy to hear that.

Bono in "Desire"...ohhhh myyyy...:drool:...

*Fans self*

Angela

:yes: Desire and Bono = red hot! :combust: i love that Vh1 80's special and how they were talking about how he looked like a rock god in this video. my co-workers were quick to remind me about that the following morning at work. lol my friend came up to me and admitted to me that she thought Bono was hot as hell in this video. haha!

I'm surprised that more people aren't giving props to the WOWY video.

It, IMO, still ranks up there with one of those "gives you chills cause U2 is so damn cool" moments.

Bono looks slightly gay in his leather vest sans shirt, but the Edge is kickin' ass with that huge guitar and I like the lighting direction - very cool.

Bono strikes some of his JT-era signature poses in the vid too (guitar on back, one arm hanging down swinging slightly).

Great song, great video!

One Tree Still said:

Bono looks slightly gay in his leather vest sans shirt.

HUH?! How could you say that?! That is the look and pose that turn most of us ladies on! :drool: He looks very, very straight. Don't flame me, you started it, but I always thought POP Adam and Edge looked very homosexual most of the time. They all look rather gay on the back of the Best of 1990-2000 cd cover (not the two pack, just the one with the best of cd alone. I'd have gone with the Times Square AB pose myself. )Not that there's anything wrong with that, not being offensive, I have gay pals and all, it's just that I don't understand anyone seeing WOWY Bono as 'gay' when he looks about as hot a ladies' man as I've ever seen:shrug:`

Desire4Bono -

It's all in the eye of the beholder - I was 16 years old and Bono looked a little gay to me in that vid. I quickly came to appreciate that it was more of a bad-ass look than a gay look, but what can I say?

(I'm a guy btw)

:wink:

Last edited:
in no particular order:

numb--just really entertaining

HMTMKMKM--cartoon!

don't take your guns to town--don't know, just really like it

stuck (euro)--it's just cool.

elevation--hey, you can't go wrong with good and evil u2 and edge winking

please--anton corbjin did that, right? of course he did...awesome...it just seemed to work, although it got a bit too literal when everyone started geting up off their knees"

even better than the real thing--the spinning...the spinning...

gloria--maybe it's just the song, i don't know...and i'm mad i accidentally threw the file in the recycling bin...

discotheque--one word: BOOMCHA!

*wild card cos i'm so fucking incapable of chosing favourites*

...and...the hands that built america...just cos of the piano intro...

Back
Top Bottom