My 2 cents on early HTDAAB fan sentiments...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
The album’s not even out yet and people already love it like it’s the best thing ever and some hate it like it’s the worst thing ever. I remember when ATYCLB came out and I was on the U2 boards at AOL, I was in the minority of people who didn’t like it. I didn’t ‘get it’ at the time, and that can be said about every U2 album since Zooropa. It’s always taken more than one listen to get the album. I also remember being viciously attacked at the AOL boards for not thinking that ATYCLB was the second coming and that it was going to change my life blah blah blah…and blah.

I never went back to those boards cos it I didn’t like trying to have conversations with people that won’t take the time t stop and listen. What I love about this place is that people do listen, people do hear…oh, sure, you have the odd person out who I always imagine running around in some sort of Polyphonic Spree robe-like gear clutching a tattered copy of Bill Flannagin’s ‘U2 – At The End Of The World’ and quoting things like, “A reading from the book of Bono – Verse One Tree Hill – Line 6”. But they are few and far between.

OK – that’s out of the way.

ATYCLB, in my opinion, is a good album. Not great. Good. It has some strong songs. It has some great b-sides on the album. WILATW is a great idea that didn’t seem finalized. Grace is good, but I felt like there could have been so much more going on. Peace On Earth is a tremendous song with a tremendous idea, that I think got a bum rap because of where it was on the album. Which brings me to my biggest problem with the album (and the only time I’ve ever had that problem with a U2 album) the track listing. It doesn’t flow for me.

Acthung flows. Zooropa flows. Joshua Tree flows. POP most certainly flows. They all have a definitive beginning, middle and end. ATYCLB starts, stops and starts and then lurches and then drags and then starts and then…goes…somewhere… I ended up burning a copy with the track order I preferred, the order that flows for me and you know what? I love that album. This all stems from the fact that I managed to hear 90% of the album before I bought it, and I’ve got no doubt that that was the main factor for molding the album I wanted, not the album I got.

So why am I babbling about this for forever and a day? Two reasons:
1. Because I can
2. Because I want to hopefully point out an example that, even though I didn’t like the U2 album that was presented to me on a whole, I love the U2 album that I had to find in there.

Yeah, extra work on an album shouldn’t be, but sometimes it is. I really like Vertigo, but I’m not blown away by it. I have listened to the beach mix of LAPOE about a dozen times and just from what I could make out, I think I’ll love that song. It sounds bold and daring. I’ve only listened to those shitty clips of COBL and ABOY and wasn’t blown away (mostly cos of the stop-start of the clips) but I’ve vowed that unless it’s 100% crystal clear, I ain’t listening to it.

So that’s my perspective on the whole, “Here’s my judgment on the new album which I don’t have except in the form of crappy clips and one complete song and one Kraftwerk cover.” Take it for what it’s worth. Or don’t at all. It is a free country…sort of…

(hope I didn't offend any one)

They actually changed the tracklisting fairly close to the album's release. I had burned what i thought was going to be the tracklisting once the mp3's surfaced and actually prefer that to what it ended up being.

bsp77 said:
Just curious - can you post your ATYCLB order?

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Peace On Earth
4. Stuck In A Moment
5. New York
6. In A Little While
7. Wild Honey
8. Kite
9. When I Look At The World
10. Walk On
11. Grace

Today, I'd replace the album mix of Walk On with the single mix

Last edited:
I agree with Rafiennes. It is impossible to judge an album by a first single and a couple of live versions and clips featuring atrocious sound quality. I love Vertigo, I think I could love ABOY when I get to hear a clear recording and I can't make heads or tails of COBL at this point. I have sworn off any more MP3s until the album comes out.

I don't think its right to say this is the GREATEST work, But you can tell if you like something or not from a bad quality clip. Its not like ATYCLB when we head 30 seconds, this is the whole song (Vertigo, ABOY, COBL), basically the whole song with L&P, and a minute of miracle drug. That's more than 30 seconds, you get a bigger feel for the song depite the low quality. And even though two were live, they were over pre-recorded music so it couldnt have been that much different than the album version, although COBL was shortened. I love all 5 songs I've heard, I don't think when I hear them in 100% cd quality, I'm going to hear them and say "no, now I dont like them..." That's almost impossible.

But I totally agree with you. I still haven't heard 6 of the 11 tracks so I could hate them. So you can't predict the love you'll have for this album yet because we havent even heard half of it. Can we say this is their best yet? HELL NO. But in the end, who cares? We're all huge u2 fans that are excited about the release, so if people want to get pumped up and say things like that, more power to them.

Like ya tracklisting for ATYCLB. Much better than the real way.

Walk On should have been saved for the last couple of tracks i reckon.

Your ATYCLB tracklist is an eye opener, for some reason it had never occured to me that this may be the problem I have with the album (although I do LIKE the album, I don't LOVE it). Perhaps tracklists are that important.

Regarding the new album, I do think it will be a classic. My reasons are simply this: U2 playing as U2 are utterly brilliant, yet they havn't done this since AB. This album appears to be a reflection of U2 minus the self consciousness, the attempts at diversity, the urge to be fresh. This record sounds like the urge behind the songs is for U2 to be themselves, to get into a room and bash their instruments until an album emerges. It's been a long time since a U2 album has had that trait. U2 are truly talented. There sometimes seems to be an attitude (by some, especially in the media) that because they are so down to earth and easy to relate to, that they are really not much different from us, that they are not gifted. They ARE gifted, you don't make the music they have made without being truly talented!! And by seemingly allowing THEMSELVES to come through on this record, I believe it will be as big as the hype suggests. We will know for certain in a month, but I think we are going to be a happy bunch come release date!

RademR said:
I don't think its right to say this is the GREATEST work, But you can tell if you like something or not from a bad quality clip. Its not like ATYCLB when we head 30 seconds, this is the whole song (Vertigo, ABOY, COBL), basically the whole song with L&P, and a minute of miracle drug. That's more than 30 seconds, you get a bigger feel for the song depite the low quality. And even though two were live, they were over pre-recorded music so it couldnt have been that much different than the album version, although COBL was shortened. I love all 5 songs I've heard, I don't think when I hear them in 100% cd quality, I'm going to hear them and say "no, now I dont like them..." That's almost impossible.

But I totally agree with you. I still haven't heard 6 of the 11 tracks so I could hate them. So you can't predict the love you'll have for this album yet because we havent even heard half of it. Can we say this is their best yet? HELL NO. But in the end, who cares? We're all huge u2 fans that are excited about the release, so if people want to get pumped up and say things like that, more power to them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people being excited. Believe me, I'm extremely excited about a new U2 album. I’m excited to hear some rocking tunes, I’m excited to hear some introspective tunes, I’m excited to hear some U2 tunes. I’ve always believed that listening to music these days was like panning for gold – you get a lot of muck, dirt, rocks, fools gold and occasionally you get a gold nugget. New music from U2 is like gold, no matter how big the size.

Back
Top Bottom