Music U2 is Listening To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sconti

The Fly
Hello. During the HTDAAB launch party on Sunday night, one of the questions for the band, was what music are you currently listening to and impressed with? Well, I've been trying to research and listen to some of the bands they listed, but I can't remember all of them. I know REM and Elvis Costello was mentioned. They also mentioned Snow Patrol and The Killers. Both of which I'm really impressed with.

Can anyone help me brainstorm some of the other bands they listed?

Thanks!

The Hives, franz ferdinand, razorlight, and something motorcycle band lol.

i'm a huge fan of the killers! i saw them in a small "club" with about 150 people crammed into this little place. they were fantastic live. i also got to meet the band and talk to them for a while (and got autographs). i spent the most time talking to the guitar player (Dave) about U2 and he said that U2 is his all time favorite band and that The Edge is his favorite guitar player. If you haven't heard The Killers album "Hot Fuss" please do yourself a favour and get it!

The only ones I heard mentioned were Razorlight, Snow Patrol, William Hung, and REM.

nuke126 said:
i'm a huge fan of the killers! i saw them in a small "club" with about 150 people crammed into this little place. they were fantastic live. i also got to meet the band and talk to them for a while (and got autographs). i spent the most time talking to the guitar player (Dave) about U2 and he said that U2 is his all time favorite band and that The Edge is his favorite guitar player. If you haven't heard The Killers album "Hot Fuss" please do yourself a favour and get it!

Thanks, I've heard some, but not enough of the Killers album. I do like what I've heard so far... :up:

Larry= The Who, Killers, and POP Music
Adam = Elvis Costello. RazorLight
Edge = Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Motorcycle club
Bono = everyone

Thanks everybody. I like what I've hear from Snow Patrol, The Killers, and Franz Ferdinand. The Who, Elvis Costello, and REM speak for themselves. I still need to check out RazorLight and Motorcycle Club.

Bono likes Nickelback lololo (I know that was a slip up but still)

BRMC (black rebel motorycycle club) are fucking great dont miss out. If you like LAPOE on HTDAAB you will dig BRMC big time.

I wasn't there, so I can't help with their current likes, but here are
Adam, Edge, and Larry's picks for U2's zooradio. (Bono didn't have a setlist :shrug: ).

--Adam--
Angel” by Shaggy
“Bug Powder Dust” by Bomb The Bass”
“Californication” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
“Dy-Na-Mit-ee” by Ms. Dynamite
“Elevate My Mind” by Stereo MC’s
“Guns of Brixton” by The Clash
“Housewife (Instrumental)” by Dr. Dre
“Without Me” by Eminem
“In The Garden” by Van Morrison
“Into My Arms” by Nick Cave
“No Surprises” by Radiohead
“No, No, No” by Dawn Penn
“Original” by Leftfield
“Out Demons Out” by Edgar Broughton
“Pan Within” by The Waterboys
“Sir Duke” by Stevie Wonder
“Take California” by Propellerheads
“Tease Me” by Chaka Demus & Pliers
“Waiting In Vain” by Bob Marley
“What Ever Happened To My Rock ‘N Roll” by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

--The Edge--

“A Girl Called Johnny” by the Waterboys
“All The Time In The World” by Louis Armstrong
“Born To Run” by Bruce Springsteen
“Cattle & Cane” by the Go Betweens
“Do The Strand” by Roxy Music
“Elevation” by Television
“Fast Cars” by the Buzz****s
“Flamenco Sketches” by Miles Davis
“Gloria” by Patti Smith
“God Only Know” by the Beach Boys
“God Save The Queen” by the Sex Pistols
“Gone Till November” by Wyclef Jean
“Heroes” by David Bowie
“How Soon Is Now” by the Smiths
“London Calling” by the Clash
“Lust For Life” by Iggy Pop
“Maggie May” by Rod Stewart
“Monkey Gone to Heaven” by the Pixies
“Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin
“No Woman, No Cry” by Bob Marley
“Pale Blue Eyes” by the Velvet Underground
“She’s A Model” by Kraftwerk
“She’s Lost Control” by Joy Division
“Staying Alive” by the Bee Gees
“Street Fighting Man” by the Rolling Stones
“Tangled Up In Blue” by Bob Dylan
“The Light Pours Out Of Me” by Magazine
“The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” by the Band
“The Saints Are Coming” by the Skids
“We Can Work It Out” by the Beatles

--Larry's --

“Die Alright” by The Hives
“Hidden Place” by Bjork
“I Love NYC” by Andrew WK
“Main Offender” by The Hives
“Words” by The Doves
“October Swimmer” by JJ72
“Outsmarted” by The Hives
“Oxygen” by JJ72
“Pagen Poetry” by Bjork
“Party Hard” by Andrew WK
“Pounding” by The Doves
“She Is Beautiful” by Andrew WK
“Snow” by JJ72
“There Goes the Fear” by The Doves

www.radiofreevirgin.com/channels/zooradio.html#

Does Larry only listen to The Doves, The Hives, Bjork, JJ72, and Andrew WK? :D

Liked The Edge's list the best. Some of Adam's too, but I would switch away from most of it.

Last edited:
I thought I read a quote where Bono was pretty complementary of Scissor Sisters - I think thier name has been mentioned as a possible opening act for the upcoming concert as well.

Last edited:
Bono mentioned in a interview with a Norwegian paper that he listened to Scandinavian bands sent to him by Helena Christensen, although he didn't remember any names.

JulioArca said:
Bono mentioned in a interview with a Norwegian paper that he listened to Scandinavian bands sent to him by Helena Christensen, although he didn't remember any names.

Probably Aha & Abba.

Bono has been pretty big on the Scissor Sisters and rightfully so, they are incredibly unique and fun to listen to.

However, I cannot understand those of you who are raving about the killers. . .what year were you born? The Killers are recycled pop. They're sound is straight from the 80's and it's kind of upsetting to listen to all this "new" music when half of it sounds like cover songs from the past 3 decades. If you like the Killers, go buy CDs from New Order, Erasure, Electronic then give credit where credit is due.

This isn't meant to flame, as Larry and Edge might have mentioned they are good but I just don't get it. That's one CD I'm trading in.

Thanks for the post from the NYC HTDAAB show regarding what the band is listening to & currently likes etc.

It is very interesting to hear as I was kind of wondering :huh:

"Bono has been pretty big on the Scissor Sisters and rightfully so, they are incredibly unique and fun to listen to.

However, I cannot understand those of you who are raving about the killers. . .what year were you born? The Killers are recycled pop. They're sound is straight from the 80's and it's kind of upsetting to listen to all this "new" music when half of it sounds like cover songs from the past 3 decades. If you like the Killers, go buy CDs from New Order, Erasure, Electronic then give credit where credit is due. "

The Killers are certainly no more derivitive than the Scissor Sisters. And they are better.

While they are good songs, anybody notice that three of Edge's songs share titles with U2 songs?

"Gloria"
"Elevation"
"Fast Cars"

Acrobatic said:
Bono has been pretty big on the Scissor Sisters and rightfully so, they are incredibly unique and fun to listen to.

However, I cannot understand those of you who are raving about the killers. . .what year were you born? The Killers are recycled pop. They're sound is straight from the 80's and it's kind of upsetting to listen to all this "new" music when half of it sounds like cover songs from the past 3 decades. If you like the Killers, go buy CDs from New Order, Erasure, Electronic then give credit where credit is due.

This isn't meant to flame, as Larry and Edge might have mentioned they are good but I just don't get it. That's one CD I'm trading in.

I listened (Ok still listen to) to everyone who influenced the Killers album and i still think they are brilliant. Listen to the album. They've done a magnificent job.

bonojr62 said:
Please no scissor sisters opening,.

AGREED!!! Especially if there are GA tickets again this time around and I have to listen to the entire opening act!

I have to say, it's kind of nice to see the guys were listening to a lot of the same stuff I've been listening to (The Killers, Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand) in the "off-season"!

Back
Top Bottom