Music & politics? No, just the new lyrics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2_Guy

Refugee
I'm back.

I'm back to say the lyrics are really great. And i don't need the music to "judge" the lyrics.

They are giving me an AB/Pop feeling. Really. It's deep, it's personal, it's in yer face, it's creative, it's mysteryous, it's dark, it's sexy. Everything i didn't have in ATYCLB.

Highlights: Miracle Drug (now that's a wonderful lyric..."I want to trip inside your head
Spend the day there…
To hear the things you haven’t said
And see what you might see").

It's like a man or a woman who can't communicate anymore with his/her lover and wants to trip inside his/her head to see/feel the things they are failing to say... But, of course, it's also the touching story of that writer who won a Nobel... So, it's dubious msg, dubious interpretation like One or WOWY. The best U2 lyrics are like that...

SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, AMAAW, OSC, OFTS, Yahew and FC are in the same level. They are really good stuff.

The weak lyrics here seems to be Vertigo and COBL... COBL says really nothing to me.

ABOF and CFYT are very good too. Not brilliant, but better than half of the lyrics on ATYCLB.

I'm a fair guy. I applaud when i have to.

In terms of lyrics, it's one of the best U2 records. For sure. In terms of lyrics...

PS: not many like you there, bsp77... unfortunately...

Welcome back (again). What I read of the lyrics is great. Some of the personal ones are very AB. I only read them once though, don't want to remember them so well that it effects my first listen of the album.

U2_Guy said:
I'm back.

SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, AMAAW, OSC, OFTS, Yahew and FC are in the same level. They are really good stuff.

I had to think very hard to get those acronyms... :madspit:

but now I got it :wink:

I really love the Miracle Drug lyrics...

And from that crappy "beach snippet" that i heard i can tell this song will be a highlight from the new album...

Wow!

Only Bono could deliver that kind of lyrics...

U2_Guy said:
I really love the Miracle Drug lyrics...

And from that crappy "beach snippet" that i heard i can tell this song will be a highlight from the new album...

Wow!

Only Bono could deliver that kind of lyrics...

Alas, we can agree on something!

Hey! Welcome back!

Just to answer your question in your other thread:

Right now my favorite lyric is from BD: "The heart is a bloom; shoots up through the stony ground."

I don't know why. It just hits me in a very poignant way.

I really like the lyrics for Blinding Lights honestly. Yeah, they're simple, but that's fine sometimes. It's just a U2 love song basically, which doesn't have to be extremely deep. Each album should have at least one semi-simple song like this. It's an emotional song eother way.

I think Vertigo does have some of the weakest lyrics on the album. Again, I don't mind too much. It's just a fun rock song in the vein of Elevation. It doesn't need to be too thought-provoking.

You'll want to kill me, but I think the weakest lyrics on the album might be from Original of the Species. The lyrics seem kinda of repetitive and what is there falls flat sometimes it seems.

I’ll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want
You are the first one of your kind

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not

I think that's kind of bad honestly. I'm sure you can see what I mean. I think some of it is just poorly written. Maybe my opinion will change when I hear the song. I hope so.

Shart, I think what you're noticing is the pre music effect. Bono's lyrics hardly ever look well-written without music to accompany them. That said, the lyrics you posted look like with music they could be awesome!

shart1780 said:
I really like the lyrics for Blinding Lights honestly. Yeah, they're simple, but that's fine sometimes. It's just a U2 love song basically, which doesn't have to be extremely deep. Each album should have at least one semi-simple song like this. It's an emotional song eother way.

I think Vertigo does have some of the weakest lyrics on the album. Again, I don't mind too much. It's just a fun rock song in the vein of Elevation. It doesn't need to be too thought-provoking.

You'll want to kill me, but I think the weakest lyrics on the album might be from Original of the Species. The lyrics seem kinda of repetitive and what is there falls flat sometimes it seems.

I’ll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want
You are the first one of your kind

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not

I think that's kind of bad honestly. I'm sure you can see what I mean. I think some of it is just poorly written. Maybe my opinion will change when I hear the song. I hope so.

reminds me of "So Cruel".... that song wasn't bad was it? :wink:

bcrt2000 said:

reminds me of "So Cruel".... that song wasn't bad was it? :wink:

No, it's not really like So Cruel. So Cruel's lyrics were a little cheesy but they were still well constructed and made plenty of sense. These lyrics just seem kind of disjointed and awkward. Lines like "I'll give you everything you want. Except the thing you want" and "And you feel like no-one before .You steal right under my door .And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more" just don't sound very well written. They don't really sound poetic or anything, just kind of bland.

shart1780 said:

"I'll give you everything you want. Except the thing you want"

This line does kind of remind me of "I gave you everything you ever wanted, it wasnt what you wanted" from So Cruel. Anyway, thing about SC is I think it's the second weakest song off AB and I find it brilliant, it depresses the hell out of me but its a great song.

I am soooo tempted to read the lyrics here, see what you're all on about...sooo tempted! glad to hear people are liking a lot of them so far.
I've been listening to So Cruel a lot lately RademR, and though I don't really keep a lineup for strength-o'-lyric on AB tunes, I too find it both a great song and depressing as hell.
:(
cheers anyway....

Back
Top Bottom