Much More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So yeah, time for a new thread. Is there any other U2 song that has caused more division within the fan community than Mercy?

New U2 music, Songs of Ascent, all that jazz...

New thread was locked and I had to continue the
Mercy
discussion.

I'm not sure I should spoiler tag this, but I'll spoiler tag my whole post just to be sure because I saw someone else doing it. (It's about an unreleased song they played in Zurich, you'd never guess)
I just discovered something. Some of you guys who prefer the older version was talking about a bridge being cut - and I went back to the old version and thought to myself "what bridge?" Then I checked @U2 lyrics for the old Mercy and there were some lyrics I couldn't hear in the one I had on my computer. The Mercy I've had for the last 5 or so years is 5:26.
I then went on Youtube and found a longer version (!) and recalled that I might actually have heard that bridge before back in 2004 when some bad quality version leaked. Somehow, when I downloaded a new, clean version, ages ago, it was a shortened one.
That Hear nothing, fear nothing, how can someone fear nothing part, it's missing from my version of Mercy. The bridge isn't there. Which makes it go verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus and it makes it quite boring. Which is why I never liked the song that much, I just didn't go anywhere. I'll take back some (not all remarks) about the old version of Mercy. I still prefer the new lyrics, the new chorus is a lot better, and the because because because part is great. But that bridge is awesome!

This little revelation made me think, am I the only one?
Are there other Interferencers out there who has never heard the full 2004 version of Mercy (or, in my case, forgot they did)?

Too slow, damn.

What thread do you close mods? (I was so careful with the spoiler tags and everything... :reject:)

Seems as though they've whittled "Mercy" down to a single version. I actually like the changes. While the original is, to me, a great epic U2 song, it does kind of ramble along. I think this song could be a big hit for U2. I also think that "you wanna kill me and I wanna die" is a great line, for some reason I cannot explain. I think it'll probably impress the general public, as if to say "Holy shit... Bono went there."

Seems as though they've whittled "Mercy" down to a single version. I actually like the changes. While the original is, to me, a great epic U2 song, it does kind of ramble along. I think this song could be a big hit for U2. I also think that "you wanna kill me and I wanna die" is a great line, for some reason I cannot explain. I think it'll probably impress the general public, as if to say "Holy shit... Bono went there."

Was thinking about that line today and it's a little weird if say it was between 2 lovers, 2 friends, etc., but I think with all of the Christian imagery that U2 uses, it's clearly about Jesus's crucifixion, the Jews wanting to kill him and he wanted to die to fulfill the prophesy as foretold. I know songs can be interpreted many ways, but this makes perfect sense to me.:hmm:

Was thinking about that line today and it's a little weird if say it was between 2 lovers, 2 friends, etc., but I think with all of the Christian imagery that U2 uses, it's clearly about Jesus's crucifixion, the Jews wanting to kill him and he wanted to die to fulfill the prophesy as foretold. I know songs can be interpreted many ways, but this makes perfect sense to me.:hmm:

It's a lover's song to me, but again, that's what makes Bono such a great songwriter.

I'm not sure I should spoiler tag this, but I'll spoiler tag my whole post just to be sure because I saw someone else doing it. (It's about an unreleased song they played in Zurich, you'd never guess)
I just discovered something. Some of you guys who prefer the older version was talking about a bridge being cut - and I went back to the old version and thought to myself "what bridge?" Then I checked @U2 lyrics for the old Mercy and there were some lyrics I couldn't hear in the one I had on my computer. The Mercy I've had for the last 5 or so years is 5:26.
I then went on Youtube and found a longer version (!) and recalled that I might actually have heard that bridge before back in 2004 when some bad quality version leaked. Somehow, when I downloaded a new, clean version, ages ago, it was a shortened one.
That Hear nothing, fear nothing, how can someone fear nothing part, it's missing from my version of Mercy. The bridge isn't there. Which makes it go verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus and it makes it quite boring. Which is why I never liked the song that much, I just didn't go anywhere. I'll take back some (not all remarks) about the old version of Mercy. I still prefer the new lyrics, the new chorus is a lot better, and the because because because part is great. But that bridge is awesome!

This little revelation made me think, am I the only one?
Are there other Interferencers out there who has never heard the full 2004 version of Mercy (or, in my case, forgot they did)?

The only version of Mercy I ever knew of is 6:31. I don't think I was ever aware of a shortened one. That's kind of weird, maybe someone was trying to do their own shorter version and shared it and it eventually got mixed up with the original people started sharing. Bummer. :huh:

OK well just wanted to say to whoever was saying I was offending the Catholic faith: I was just kidding around and the Catholic faith - any faith - was about the furthest thing from my mind, really..had posted a Twilight reference earlier - that's what it and the whole "you want to kill me and I want to die" thing reminded me of, and not in a good way lol. Looking at it through the lens of the crucifixion of Christ, it does have some added meaning and I can see that being a possibility. Having said that I think it's a bit limiting to pigeon hole these lyrics into being about one faith or the other, or about any situation to be honest.

It's clear some love the song and I tend to like it in terms of the melody and Edge's guitar is great as usual, I just feel the opening verses are clumsy and heavy-handed - almost amateurish in the writing compared to some real gems we've had in the past few years (if, like me, you are honest enough to admit that you have in fact liked/loved some of U2's work this decade). I was just using the "o rly" as in "ya don't say" but I guess my humour is a bit off kilter sometimes..maybe an Obvious Cat reference would have been better :hmm:

:wink:

i :heart: this new version... i feel it conveys the same intensity and emotion without getting longwinded, diluted and lost in the twists and turns of the previous version (which i also love)... they've pared it down to its bare bones, and let its essence and vitality shine thru... i love it...

I like the old Mercy better, but I understand why they shortened it. Still, I wish they wouldn't have. It's definitely better than any of the other new songs though. I'm just glad it got its due.

I also agree that the lyrics are kind of cheesy. But like Unknown Caller, I love it despite its cheesiness.

weedkiller.jpg

I miss Edge's solo from the old version.. it allowed him to carry the chorus sans Bono.

not a fan of this bluesy three-peat lick of a solo. but really, who am I to argue with The Edge?

I miss Edge's solo from the old version.. it allowed him to carry the chorus sans Bono.

not a fan of this bluesy three-peat lick of a solo. but really, who am I to argue with The Edge?

at least that solo is still under the last verses after the solo right? it just hit me after listening to it many times.

Could be a lovers song, but with the lines such as "If you're the prosecution I'd get away with murder" (and of course the title being Mercy) a religious interpretation makes sense too.

Isn't the new solo just the pre-chorus notes from the first song (ripping the stitches...) just played higher up? sounds like the same notes to me.

didn't catch that..

Isn't the new solo just the pre-chorus notes from the first song (ripping the stitches...) just played higher up? sounds like the same notes to me.

or this.. haha

Literally just occurred to me how well:

Return Of The Stingray Guitar
We Love You
soon

would go together as a medley, immediately one after another.

Then after 'soon', 'glastonbury'. phwoar, it would come in with a bang. Then mercy, another rocking song, followed by winter (an improved acoustic/brothers version), followed by the linear winter. Then Every breaking wave, and north star to end.

b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

[RUMOR] Song of Ascent Tracklist

Hi, my reliable source send this to me today:

"Hi, I found somes informations about the next U2's album, and Josh from the Rollings stones magazine talk with me about this"

I'm not 100 % sure of this, but two of my reliable source send this to me in french with a little text. More info soon...

(Sorry for my bad english now, i'm french canadian like you know)

1. U2 ' Soon ' (Kingdom Of Your Love) :
From "No line on the horizon session"

2. U2 ' Every Breaking Wave ' :
From "No line on the horizon session"

3. U2 ' If I Could Live My Life Again ' :
Inspireted by Jorge Luis Borges , a beautiful song from "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" session

4. U2 ' Love Is All We Have Left ' :
New rock song rock from "new session and old session"

5. U2 ' North Star ' :
From "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" session

6. U2 ' Mercy ' :
From "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" session

7. U2 ' Lead Me In The Way I Should Go ' :
Song really Rock/Metal from How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb + somes modifications in the new sessions

8. U2 ' You Can't Give Away Your Heart ' :
Song from "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" session and finished in the new session of 2010

9. U2 ' Rose of My Life ' (Glastonbury) :

Bonus Track (Exclusive in some country) :

1- Glastonbury V1 (called Rose of my life)
A new rock/punk song from New sessions
(360 Tour Leg 3)

2- Return Of The Stingray Guitar
A new rock/funk song froum New sessions

SOA has mostly material from HTDAAB sessions? That doesnt make sense. Edge and Bono have consistently stated that they have enough material from the most recent sessions to put together the other albums. I dont believe that they would be pulling so much from HTDAAB after their recent innovations from NLOTH?

As big a crock of bullshit as I've ever seen. Sorry.

A track list composed entirely of song titles we're already aware of? Not a chance.

SOA has mostly material from HTDAAB sessions? That doesnt make sense. Edge and Bono have consistently stated that they have enough material from the most recent sessions to put together the other albums. I dont believe that they would be pulling so much from HTDAAB after their recent innovations from NLOTH?

Recently Bono and Paul Mcgui. said that they have MANY IMCOMPLETE SONG FROM MANY OLD PROJECT AND RECENT PROJECT ! North Star and Mercy are two song for HTAAB ! Also, HTAAB was one of the more famous and popular commercial album of the band ! It's just what my source said to me...

What makes your source "reliable"? Who is he/she?

A old friend that predict a lot of thing about U2...

He his a journalist and he know many people in the "music world"

It's not 100 % sure but it's very realy reliable, he never lie to me seriously

yeah, you would think maybe Winter, or Not as Yet, and a couple of titles we hadn't heard before...I don't think this is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom