Much More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is posted yet:

Julian Lennon On His New Photos of U2, Kate Hudson | Rolling Stone Music

Lennon says U2 approached him earlier this summer looking for a studio to finish some tracks. He offered at his 14th century home in the South of France. "The Edge came to me and said ‘Please take some pictures," Lennon recalls. Displayed were several intimate black-and-white shots of the band: a close-up of Bono’s weathered-seeming face, a candid of Adam Clayton sitting alone on a white stairwell, and the Edge sitting in a booth on a plane, with a lyric sheet in front of him. "To a degree, it’s a side of the boys that hasn’t been seen before … I just didn’t want to get in the way," Lennon said. "The moment I thought there was any heavy air, I would clear out."

One of the most striking U2 shots is of Bono in the studio, sitting underneath a headshot of John Lennon in his early greaser days. "Initially, I called it a Lennon sandwich," Julian said. "Now I call it ‘Someone to Look up to.’ Bono was there, and I look up to him, and he looks up to dad." Lennon also shot the band onstage in Vienna in late August. "They’re mates, so if they’re on the road and I’m in the neighborhood, I’m there."

It would be nice to see those photos. :hyper:

Not sure if this is posted yet:

Julian Lennon On His New Photos of U2, Kate Hudson | Rolling Stone Music

It would be nice to see those photos. :hyper:

Definitely can't wait to see these in good quality.

58694_439562419659_132703949659_4895275_6735495_n.jpg

58694_439562369659_132703949659_4895265_2936611_n.jpg

58694_439562379659_132703949659_4895267_5867467_n.jpg

:hmm:

Just wanted to throw in my vote that I think Mercy is better now than in the old version. Before I thought it was meandering. Now I think it's a focused, catchy song. I like the new lyrics as well.

Yeah, the new Mercy is definitely growing on me. Hopefully the "Because, because, because" part is very powerful on the studio version!

I like the new version as well even though they have dropped some great parts from the original. I just hope they fix up the ending, repeating the because part 3 times to finish off the song doesn't work at all.

I do have a concern regarding radio play. I can't see a song with chorus 'You wanna kill me, and I wanna die' being played repeatedly on radio and music TV.

Come on, it's clearly their attempt at marketing themselves to the emo niche. :lol:

I will say, the 'You wanna kill me/and I wanna die' thing is interesting, but all of the new additions seem awkwardly smooshed into the existing lyrics, so while the original may be 'meandering' (though that is what I thought the point of it was, introspective stream-of-consciousness kind of thing, and I loved the whole thing) the two don't work paired together, take those lyrics and use them for something else, it's not like Bono hasn't done his in the past. It is a clear attempt to make it single-ready, which is not something they did in the the old days, they made the mainstream instead of attempting to cater to it. Keep the original lyrics, they're some of the best Bono has given us in the past 10 years, if you must keep the more rockin' guitar and drums and trim it for the radio. Their old hits came out of nowhere, were songs like WOWY, Still Haven't Found, MW, One, etc, made for the radio? No, they were earnest creations that happened to catch with the listeners.

Agreed, that's what I wanted them to call it too. Even if it was tied to ine project, it can still work for any material.

Or even just "In the Sound" as a cute "In the Round" pun. Still far better than the ultra-generic 360, at least in my book.

The new Mercy is OK except for the "because because because we can, we must" bit which is horrendous.

The new Mercy is OK except for the "because because because we can, we must" bit which is horrendous.

I was just listening to the mp3 rip of Mercy from Paris, and something dawned on me: I suspect the band will release a radio version AND an extended cut (maybe as a B-side, or maybe as an "extended album version"). I like everything about the truncated version except for a few of the lyrics.

Someone please enlighten me with regards to the positive reaction to this new Mercy, because I reaaallly don't get it.

Also, as if my problems with the arrangement weren't enough, I'm starting to have a big problem with the lyrics to the chorus. I made a statement before that I didn't care if the lyrics were simple so long as they were heartfelt, but I think this is a little different. These lyrics are incredibly cheesy.

"We're meant for eachother", "We're a perfect match", "It's just us" are all incredibly corny. Lyrically, it's like Bono wrote some Ross-and-Rachel anthem which is SO not the same thing as writing about a failed relationship. In theme, this song seems to be similar to With or Without You, but in terms of style, it's closer to something that a professional songwriter would write for Britney Spears or something.

The "because we can we must" ending, while working for me in terms of the way it sounds musically, is awful lyrically. Just incredibly lazy, especially when coupled with another lazy line, "it's just us."

Please, bury Mercy. Let it live on as a beloved unreleased track or b-side or something. But don't try to doctor this song into a hit, because they're going to butcher this song into a shell of its former self.

Don't bury it, just this version. We should start a campaign with those of us going to the shows right now to make posters asking for the 2004 lyrics back, :hmm:.

well, I don't think the 2004 version was done either. I don't like the "Hear nothing, feel nothing" part. It's too weightless, like they were just slapping something down until Bono could come up with a proper melody and a proper set of lyrics for that section.

But yeah, if they could clear that part up, then the song was gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom