MTV wants to mash up U2 with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theflyshades04 said:
it could be worse. they could pair U2 up with Chingy or Ja-rule.

best point yet...

Eminem is a brilliant lyricist... when he wants to be. i'm not a fan of his more pop type songs, which always tend to be the first single off any new eminem album. but many of his other songs... stan... cleaning out my closet... 8 mile road... lose yourself... the way i am... all very strong, very powerful, very profound lyrics. i mean... they're not as deep and meaningful as "a mole, digging in a hole" or anything... but they're ok.

I fear this would cause me to become less of a U2 fan. If they associate themselves with the talentless hack of a fuckwit that is Eminem ... that is the day that I will know U2's ship is sinking.

Because U2 does a mash up with Eminem you'd become less a fan. Come on. What happened to U2 having a friend in the music biz and wanting to do a collaberative project with him. Would u rather them be feuding and having Eminem blast the holy hell outta them in his songs. Basically your gonna judge U2's talent by who they sing with. Not to be offensive to you, but that doesnt sound like a fan at all to me, just some typical music critic who doesnt like the band. Sure we dont have to like everything they do, but just because they 'MAY" do a project with Eminem, doesnt mean they are lacking talent. It's not everyday u see a band that started in the 80's sell 800,000+ copies of their new album in ONE week.

Theflyshades04 said:
Because U2 does a mash up with Eminem you'd become less a fan. Come on. What happened to U2 having a friend in the music biz and wanting to do a collaberative project with him. Would u rather them be feuding and having Eminem blast the holy hell outta them in his songs. Basically your gonna judge U2's talent by who they sing with. Not to be offensive to you, but that doesnt sound like a fan at all to me, just some typical music critic who doesnt like the band. Sure we dont have to like everything they do, but just because they 'MAY" do a project with Eminem, doesnt mean they are lacking talent. It's not everyday u see a band that started in the 80's sell 800,000+ copies of their new album in ONE week.

I would be so fucking embarrassed if U2 degraded themselves to collaborating with Eminem that I don't think I'd tell anyone I'm a U2 fan until everyone's forgotten about it. The end.

some of u all act like U2 has just said they are gonna become a rap band. Get Lil Jon to scream background noises in there new single, that features snoop dogg and jojo and also record a remix album of all their hits with guest rappers. Ludacris now appears in Mysterious ways, Ja-rule adds his raspy voice to Desire, Nelly appears on Elevation, and R kelly adds new meaning to the song One..... People i'm sorry but some of u are overeacting big time.

i think this would be cool, but dre would be better.

and shit, enough with the killers already! KILL THIS.

It won't happen. Even if U2 wanted to do it (and I doubt it) they don't have time.

They are going to begin rehearsals for the tour soon. If the tour starts March 1st, as rumored, then one week from today would be 2 months to the day.

They simply don't have the time. I don't think they would do it anyways. Plus Eminem wouldnt want to totally be blown off stage.

If anything, this would have been a good idea back in the 90's, and it wouldn't be someone like Eminem, who is talented as a lyricist, but the music in his songs is pure SHIT. Michael Franti woudl make more sense but MTV wouldn't put him on the air, not enough appeal to the teenage girls.

Frst and foremost: @ Moonlit_Angel - Mmmmmmmm!!!!! Those pics!!! Hehehe.....:drool:

As for U2 mashed with Eminem.....why not just line up all of U2's albums and shoot them?

:madspit:

Firstly, I don't see the harm in the mash-up stuff, its just a bit of fun and can have surprising results sometimes. Chill out about it!

I think Eminem is hugely talented. I don't think a lot of his fanbase actually appreciate his lyrics and arrangements but have just jumped on the bandwagon because he's "cool" and his singles have been very catchy. Which is probably why a lot of his fanbase is reasonably young.

I think he's lost his way with his latest album a bit, but the first three were each excellent rap albums. You only have to listen to any one of them to recognise his talent. You might not like him or his music, but you have to respect what he's done and how good he is in his particular field.

As for the spoiled rotten white kid comment, that's not worth replying to.

U2DMfan said:
I don't think they would do it anyways. Plus Eminem wouldnt want to totally be blown off stage.

If anything, this would have been a good idea back in the 90's, and it wouldn't be someone like Eminem, who is talented as a lyricist, but the music in his songs is pure SHIT.

Good reason to put him with U2. I'm not a fan of Eminem, but I really don't think he'd be 'blown off the stage' - U2's had dozens of other performers with them over the years and they've always been courteous enough to let the other performers shine. I think it'd be fun - for one song....

Now, I'd like to see these mash-ups with U2's music:

"Mofo" and Billy Idol's "Mony Mony" (listen to the live versions of Mofo, and you can hear how close they are musically!)

"Electrical Storm" and Alice In Chain's "Would" - two dark and stormy songs with surrealistic lyrics and whang-bang tempo changes that would mesh perfectly

"Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" and the Beatle's "A Day In the Life" - irony squared and spread on toast!

just my thoughts...

goat

U2DMfan said:
If anything, this would have been a good idea back in the 90's, and it wouldn't be someone like Eminem, who is talented as a lyricist, but the music in his songs is pure SHIT.

Then the mash-up would make even more sense. Here you have the combination of one of the best rock bands ever (musically and lyrically, but certainly one that makes excellent music) and a talented lyricist. With the mash-up you don't need Eminem's music, only his lyrics with U2's music.

Michael Franti woudl make more sense but MTV wouldn't put him on the air, not enough appeal to the teenage girls.

Now there is a good lyricist and an excellent musician! :up:

Erin go bragh said:
Sure what Em does in the commercial mainstream seems "poppy", but the stuff ge does that doesn't make it to radio is sometimes simply amazing. And I think Bono and Em will click on a different level in the future as Marshall grows up. He'll take lessons from Bono's humanitarian efforts and apply it to the side that connects with the hip hop world (i.e. inner city youth programs, etc.). People see Em for the controversial lyrics he writes, or the legal problems he's had in the past, but what most don't see is a guy who's not only raising his own child full time, but has also adopted his step brother so he can provide him a better life that he didn't get to have when he was growing up. That doesn't sound like a bad person to me.

:up:. I don't understand why some people freak out over who U2 works with. I really don't like this mindset that in music your favorite artists can only work with people that you deem worthy of their time-that sounds way too cliquey and snobby to me, and I just don't like that. I'm not much of a disco fan, and Bono's said before that he doesn't mind some disco music. Should I stop being a fan because he likes music that I don't? The musicians don't act this way-that's one reason I like U2, because they don't care what genre of music someone does, they'll hang out with them or listen to them regardless. So I don't understand why some fans do.

Meh. Rant over. If you want to act that way, that's your business. I just personally find it silly.

Also, heh, thanks, ravenette :D.

Angela

If the Linkin Park/ Jay Z mashup is any indication, then I'd love to see U2 in such an arrangement. Anyone who hasn't heard the latest MTV mashup should give it a chance, you may just like what you hear.
A mashup would certainly expose U2 music to a different crowd, perhaps U2's way of continuing to stay "relevant"? My vote for a mashup goes to U2/Linkin Park.

Back
Top Bottom