MTV News: Everlasting Love may be on 90-2000?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453263/20020404/u2.jhtml?headlines=true

They're in the studio recording new material, but U2 aren't working on a new album just yet. Instead, they're writing songs for inclusion on an upcoming greatest-hits package that will feature songs released between 1991's Achtung Baby and 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind.

The album is due out by the end of the year and will be a companion piece to Best of U2: 1980-90, which the band released in 1998. While some pressings of that record included an additional disc of B-sides, this next installment of greatest hits will likely be contained on a single disc, since the band didn't amass as much material in the past decade as in the one prior, a spokesperson at Interscope Records said.

The new hits LP may also contain the 1995 track "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from the "Batman Forever" soundtrack; "Miss Sarajevo," which also came out in '95, on Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1; and the band's cover of Mac Gayden and Buzz Cason's 1967 hit "Everlasting Love," from 1999's "Forces of Nature" soundtrack. And if the studio sessions are especially productive, they may yield additional material for the group's next studio record, the spokesperson said (see "U2 May Have New Album Out By Year's End").

?Jon Wiederhorn

Also note that it says it will include ATYCLB material

------------------
"Shame on you! Ugly baby judges you!"

Yes, I heard that too. It's a rumor that's been going around for a few days and now we have proof. No one wants to believe it, like the 'cancelled' tour, but now we have to. But I don't want to! I'd rather have a new album. I think they were wrong to give up on the idea of making a new album right away, they said they were going 'to keep the energy of Elevation going.' Now how long will it be?!
frown.gif

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-04-2002).]

This article is flawed. As stated above Everlasting Love was on the last B-sides set. And also there is a ton of b-sides from the 90's to make a second disc as the initial reports from U2News have indicated.
To say that there isn't enough material from the 90's is bull shite There were 15 b-sides on the first 80's here are 15 from the 90's off the top of my head.

1. Lady with the Spinning Head
2. Holy Joe
3. North and South of the River
4. Where did it all go Wrong
5. Salome
6. I'm Not your Baby
7. Slow Dancing
8. Two Shots of Happy
9. Paint it Black
10. Fortunate Sun
11. Happiness is a Warm Gun
12. Satelite of Love
13. Pop Muzik
14. Night and Day
15. Can't Help Falling in Love

------------------
Your love was like a light bulb..hanging over my bed.

I fail to see how U2 possibly releasing some new songs before years end can possibly be disappointing??? They never said they would have a new studio album out this year. They said they would have new music out by the end of the year. It appears that this is what they are doing.

Did you really think we would have a new studio album this year? U2 doesnt typically work on that short of a time schedule. I think they could do it if they wanted. But I think they probebly went into the studio after Elevation and laid the ground work for the album based on that energy and decided to do it right would take more time. That IS still using the energy of the tour for the album.

Personally, I would rather U2 take their time and do something they are happy with. If they felt a studio album was ready to go they would probebly be releasing it. Another guess on my part is that they also want the studio album to come out late 2003 so they can follow it up with another big tour. That would fit what has been their normal time schedule for albums and tours.

I agree with the B-side list...don't forget about

-Your Blue Room (Staring at the Sun single)
-I'm Not Your Baby.

There is PLENTY OF MATERIAL!

Originally posted by *Wolverine*:
I fail to see how U2 possibly releasing some new songs before years end can possibly be disappointing??? They never said they would have a new studio album out this year. They said they would have new music out by the end of the year. It appears that this is what they are doing.

Did you really think we would have a new studio album this year? U2 doesnt typically work on that short of a time schedule. I think they could do it if they wanted. But I think they probebly went into the studio after Elevation and laid the ground work for the album based on that energy and decided to do it right would take more time. That IS still using the energy of the tour for the album.

Personally, I would rather U2 take their time and do something they are happy with. If they felt a studio album was ready to go they would probebly be releasing it. Another guess on my part is that they also want the studio album to come out late 2003 so they can follow it up with another big tour. That would fit what has been their normal time schedule for albums and tours.

I agree.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

I heard it wasn't Everlasting love, but a couple of new songs they are recording added as bonus tracks on the greatest hits.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

Everlasting Love did get a lot of radio air play in the early 90's.. Makes ya wonder.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

As far as this normal schedual thing, it should be mentioned that October, WAR, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle And Hum, and ZOOROPA all came out in less than 2 and a half years after the previous album. The average for all U2 albums is around 2 years.

I JUST HOPE THEY MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE SOME B SIDES ON THAT ONE... SINGLES ARE VERY HARD TOP GET WHEN UR IN HONDURAS. (sorrry for CAOPS LOCKD)

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Originally posted by Anticipation-is-a-liar:
This article is flawed. As stated above Everlasting Love was on the last B-sides set. And also there is a ton of b-sides from the 90's to make a second disc as the initial reports from U2News have indicated.
To say that there isn't enough material from the 90's is bull shite There were 15 b-sides on the first 80's here are 15 from the 90's off the top of my head.

1. Lady with the Spinning Head
2. Holy Joe
3. North and South of the River
4. Where did it all go Wrong
5. Salome
6. I'm Not your Baby
7. Slow Dancing
8. Two Shots of Happy
9. Paint it Black
10. Fortunate Sun
11. Happiness is a Warm Gun
12. Satelite of Love
13. Pop Muzik
14. Night and Day
15. Can't Help Falling in Love

And if ATYCLB material is going to be included, you can add Always, Summer Rain, and Big Girls are Best to that list.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

They're giving us something, and that's good. I'm not the one to traditionally look on the 'bright side' of things, but I had a short talk with sula about this today. So they'll release the 90-00 before Christmas and get good sales (duh). Then they'll release one maybe next spring and be forced to tour of course (AND go to South Dakota, hint hint, wink wink....oh it's no use), and be on top of the world again. The one that could come next spring is the 6th in their 6 record contract deal from back in 1992. That would place them in SUCH a good spot for renegotiation....not like they'd need to work on getting a good spot for that, but more can never hurt.
biggrin.gif
Then they'll make more beautiful, awe-inspiring, thought-provoking, and other adjectives music that we can sit on interference and dissect. Ahhhh....the circle of life.

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

What about "Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk off" "The Fly" Single? Why hasn't that been mentioned yet?

Does "I've Got You Under My Skin count as well"?

And if Miss Sarajevo could be included wouldn't that mean its B Sides "Viva Davidoff" and "Bottoms" would be eligible as well?

Seeeeeee... Plenty of stuff!

Sting2, I'am not quite sure why you are so against the Best Of if it has new songs on it. I guess you will be disappointed then this fall on two counts.

I dont think anyone said all U2 albums take 3 years to release. But the most recent 3 out 4 albums have taken that long. Also, if you look at history most of the normal studio albums since the Joshua tree have taken 2 years to record. U2 started recording this album in January. Larry has even said in interviews that it takes them at least a year to make an album properly. By my calculations that puts the new album in 2003.

Anyway, most credible sources are indicating the Best Of is coming out this fall. I doudbt they would follow that up immediately with a new studio album in a month or two time frame. I feel about 98% sure that we will not see a new studio album this year and that doesnt bother me at all. Because if they did release a studio album that quickly they would probebly only do a short tour or no tour at all. I can wait an extra year and get a big tour.

I take it with a grain of salt. MTV News is as useful as someone from Iowa in NYC [and vice versa].

MTV is not the only one reporting this though. Launch has indicated that Island Records has told their distributers to get ready for it this fall and a recent interview with Daniel Lanois also confirmed it.

I know that. But MTV didn't get it entirely right. Everlasting Love was on the first best of.... and you would only have to take five seconds to check the b-side listing online somewhere to know that.

"MAY ALSO INCLUDE"

"MAY ALSO INCLUDE"

"MAY ALSO INCLUDE"

How does prove anything?

There is a "Best of" coming out, but we are no better in knowing what the actual track listing is than we were yesterday.

------------------
"Pull the trigger on a rock n' roll ****** bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker!" -Bono, Bullet the Blue Sky.

I posted about this on Tuesday but no one listened me. I think nobody wants to hear it because they will be bored with no new album to talk about.

[This message has been edited by Shine * Like* Stars* (edited 04-05-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom