MSG #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muh2o

Acrobat
What DIDN'T happen during this show!!

EXTREMELY disappointed in the way GA was handled by MSG security. The line itself was policed properly, with the exception of some rude people who showed up Friday night, got put on the list, and showed up two hours before the line moved inside. It got out of hand from the moment the line started to move inside. They started with a sizeable group, which took a while to get through the detectors, etc, then I was in the next group. All of a sudden, while we were in line to get checked by security, the bone-head running the lines opened up a new line, therefore allowing people in back of us, to get in front of us. One guy behind me caught it, and screamed "Oh no..." to which the bone-head security guard laid into him, telling him not to tell him his job, etc, or else he would throw him out of Ga, or something like that. Buddy, you don't know what your job is. No one there that night did. It got worse from there. They lined the ENTIRE GA line inside, and then it was basically a free for all to get upstairs where they handed out the wrist bands. I started out #38 (getting in line at 2:30am), and ended up double that, at least. Security didn't care. This was incomprehensible to me as I attended the 6/19 show, and had a wonderful experience with the way the whole GA was handled by the fans and security. It was like I was at a different arena. It was the same head of security too, I saw him just before we headed inside. Some people were getting violent, and some nearly got hurt dashing for the stairs. What the Hell were they thinking?

Anyway, the show, which was fantastic:

* Bono himself puts an end to the ridiculous debate over which city is THE U2 city. No question, it's New York. Says he and the band will play "Monday nights" at MSG.

* I can't imagine this was set up, but Bono, during "I Still Can't Find.." went over to a fan in the GC, and it was a bit confusing, at first I thought Bono was reading a banner he had in his hand, but then someone elses voice asked someone to marry him, and the girl replied "Oh my Gawd, yes"

* TWO girls brought up at the tip. I only saw them waving goodbye to Bono, as I was paying attention to the rest of the band.

* Edge having more trouble with guitar. During New York, he was fighting with the thing to get some setting correct or something. At least he didn't bust it up
smile.gif

* A few cameras rolling the whole show. One was a miniature "movie" camera, and the other was a digital camera. Shooting a video? DVD? Interesting.

* Very short show. It ended up running about 2:05, but if it wasn't for the speeches by the Firemen, the show would have clocked in close to 1:45. But let me tell you something, that was incredible. The reception the FDNY received when they came out on stage was thunderous. Some of them started tearing up, hugging each other. Awesome.

* Bonus when they ripped into "Out Of Control". After "Walk On", we all thought the show was basically over as the FDNY were getting pictures with the band on stage. But then I noticed Edge pick up his guitar, and then the song started.

Great show!

MSG Security should respect the fans more than they did. If the fans handled the entire thing, it would have gone a lot smoother. Very shocking after my initial experience was so good. Some fans had been there since Friday night. It was extremely cold all night and day (and night). Tempers were short. Could have been a lot uglier.

Originally posted by muh2o:

I can't imagine this was set up, but Bono, during "I Still Can't Find.." went over to a fan in the GC, and it was a bit confusing, at first I thought Bono was reading a banner he had in his hand, but then someone elses voice asked someone to marry him, and the girl replied "Oh my Gawd, yes"

What's "I Still Can't Find..."???
wink.gif
hehe

I'm surprised that GA was handled so badly on night 3, when just the opposite was true on night 1. Was Trish there, directing the line? If not, that might be part of the problem, because she personally supervised our passage through the building's checkpoints. She did a fantastic job of keeping us under control. (We were afraid! :> )) We were told earlier before we entered, that if we began to run we would be held back and the other lines would be let in first. That worked very well. We were all walking very briskly, but there were no mad dashes to get ahead of others.

Once the line starts moving it gets a little more complex to calmly direct that amount of people. It sounds like another example of security individuals in charge that don't properly have a grasp of how to move people through the gates and checkpoints. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad the show itself was a great experience.

Trish was not there!!! Atleast I didn't see her. Saturday was nowhere near as well run as 10/24, but sounds like it was better than 10/25. No real policing of the line, and I know people without numbers were somehow getting ahead of me (I was around 200). It's so pathetic that the premier arena in the world can't get it right after so many chances. MSG should hire the security director of the Fleet Center in Boston as a consultant. That place was run like a machine, constant checkpoints, but the line kept moving and nobody ran or lost their place in line. And they let you on the floor nearly 2 hours before MSG did.

Unbelievable show otherwise, with the most powerful ending of any show I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom