MSG #2: The most emotional concert in my whole life.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hi all,

I am normally not a big fan of writing concert reviews, since I find very hard to convey all the emotions I normally feel, particularly in U2 concerts. However, after the amazing experience I had last night, i thought I would just share a few words with my fellow Interferences.

Yesterday, I lived through the most emotional concert of my life, and perhaps the best one ever. And it was like that because it went beyond the setlist, or if Bono's voice was ok or if Edge played the right riff at the right time. The concert yesterday managed to blend in all U2's and New York's greatness.

All you had to do is look at the crowd as they were exiting MSG. Look at their faces. They felt proud of their city. They felt greater than ever. All you had to do was look around during One and see everyone in my section holding hands and perhaps weeping. All you had to do was listening to the crowd go "U-S-A, U-S-A" after Sunday Bloody Sunday. And even hear them go crazy after an illustration of the Twin Towers was reflected on the silk screens while they were playing New York.

Yesterday, I danced during Elevation, sang along during Bad, jumped up and down during Streets, felt proud during New York, cried during One and felt hope as I heard the last verses of Walk On. I just could not believe all the emotions I felt during those two hours.

Whoever said the band was not emotional enough about their visit to the Big Apple was wrong. Yesterday's concert is perhaps the best example of U2's love for the Big Apple. Although some people may consider that Bono throws out his emotions way too easily, I have not ever seen him more authentic. As he made the audience feel his pride to play in New York, he made me feel proud to be here, and even prouder of being a U2 fan.

And I am not even American.

Some highlights of the show, if I am supposed to mention any, were SBS, Kite, an acoustic version of Stay, an amazing powerful version of ISHFWILF and the snippet of Unchained Melody, right after one, right before Walk On. These are just short moments of an amazing concert. The whole thing was the true highlight.

Sometimes I criticize U2. Sometimes I consider them way too political and confusing. And I have criticized the setlist many nights as well. Yesterday, I was dazzled. Enchanted by the best band in the world. And the only band that could make you feel proud of being a New Yorker, even without being one. The only band that, despite being Irish, belongs to the whole world.

My band.

U2.

God bless you all.

Pablo

[This message has been edited by U2@NYC (edited 10-26-2001).]

Pablo I'm coming to NYc in a few hours...is teh connect four set ready?

Pablo,

Yesterday, in another thread, I said "I wish you have the time of your life on the concert tonight".
I'm glad that it was exactly what you had. You deserve it.
Thanks for the emotional review amigo, I truly appreciated it.
smile.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Pablo-

I agree with everything you said. MSG 1 & 2 are by far the two best concerts i have ever been to. The band clearly loves New York, and last night they made us feel so very proud of our city. The chants, the cheers, and the tears all helped to set these New York shows apart from any others on this tour. "One" was the emotional highlight of the night: just seeing all of those names scroll down the screen brought tears to my eyes. How could there have been so many lost? And the thuderous cheers elicited by the appearance of the Flight Numbers, NYPD, and NYFD names were amazing. Even the security guards were screaming and whistling at that point. I was in the front row of the heart at MSG 2, and at the start of "One" everyone grabbed their neighbor's hands and held them high in the air. It was beautiful- I have never been so moved at a concert.

Again, thank you for your wonderful words, Pablo. What an amazing night.
smile.gif

Pablo,

I was wondering if you?re going again tomorrow night...cause it seems that it would be hard for you to beat this one. Anyway, if you go, have a great night.
smile.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Thank you Pablo for your words. Although I wasn't at #2, I was at #1, and you expressed a feeling that was there those nights in N.Y.
This is why I like to read multiple reviews of the same events, because they paint different shades of our perceptions, and together they form powerful records of our experiences.

Yesterday, I danced during Elevation, sang along during Bad, jumped up and down during Streets, felt proud during New York, cried during One and felt hope as I heard the last verses of Walk On. I just could not believe all the emotions I felt during those two hours.
You perfectly described the U2 experience.
Thank You for the amazing review.

Back
Top Bottom