Mr BOLD Chris Martin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
This from ATU2.com
Martin Targetting U2's Top Spot

Contact Music, April 28, 2005

COLDPLAY frontman Chris Martin's ultimate goal is to surpass U2 as the greatest rock band on the planet - and he is taking inspiration from Sylvester Stallone to help him achieve his aim.

The "In My Place" rocker put a picture of the "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" legends on his studio wall during recording sessions for upcoming album X+Y to push his creativity to unheralded heights.

And Martin likens himself to all American hero "Rocky" as he prepares to take on the might of U2, who he compares to Russian man mountain Ivan Drago, played by Dolph Lundgren, from the cold war boxing movie Rocky IV.

He says, "What matters is trying to write the best tunes in the world. And having a picture of U2 on the wall, and trying to pump enough logs to take out the Drago that is U2 - that's our mission."

Martin is making a habit of setting himself tough targets - he has already said he is convinced Coldplay will make an album to rival The Beatles' 1967 masterpiece Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

© Contact Music, 2005.

------------------------------------------------------------

I just read this and it kind of made me angry, not sure why?
But I really would prefer Bono and U2 to stay at the top?
Anyone agree ? ha ha ha

Have you heard of the phrase "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"?

It's sort of relevant in that I like the idea of other bands proclaiming they want to be as big as U2. It keeps U2 aware that their "perch" is tenous, that it requires work to still remain relevant and interesting and timeless etc, and it stops them getting complacent about themselves and their work.

Some bands in their position might get lazy, thinking that it doesn't matter what they record or play live, their Pavlovian fans will still lap it up.

(Though I personally believe a couple of songs on HTDAAB are creeping a little too closely to that area for my liking).

$0.02

Hi blueeyed girl thanks for your post..
read between my lines all you want. I wasn't making any big statements about Coldplay. I think it's good he wants them to be the big band in the world.
I just think the articles funny.
Personally though U2 is the only band it seems that have the determination and are willing to sacrifice some silly cliche's attributed to bands to keep at the top of their game, ie: making pop music, singing about love and god etc... I don't see that with Coldplay(so far) I like the fact U2 have songs like Lemon and Discotheque in their catologue as well. Thats what sets them apart. There diversity within their own catalogue.

Cheers
Ryan

Originally posted by blueeyedgirl (Though I personally believe a couple of songs on HTDAAB are creeping a little too closely to that area for my liking).[/B]

HTDAAB is an unbelievable recording! When I first heard it the first thing I thought was, where has U2 been for the past 13 years. And I have loved every album in between AB and HTDAAB. But to me this was a return to that U2 sound and feeling. When I first heard Vertigo I could not believe how energetic it was.
It's a humbling record and thats what I love. It's a consolidation of what U2 is about in sound and stature and it has no complications in it what so ever it's stream line get the job done and say what has to be said.
A bit off topic but I really think HTDAAB is brilliant.

There is nothing wrong with tring to achieve that. My band has almost finished the record and I'm covinced this will be the record of the year in the Netherlands..You should aim for the highest, the best whatever..otherwise what's the point. If you don't want to put out magic you should join a coverband...

The record will be called "paintings of a season"by the way..:dancing:

By the way...Chris Martin doesn't have THE voice...John did, Bono has it, Jim Morrisson had it...Coldplay is a VERY good band but they don't have the X factor...someone who has a daughter named Apple should be committed IMHO and will NEVER EVER be in the leaque of the Beatles or U2...

I'm wearing a Coldplay t-shirt as we speak....:wink:

zwervers2 said:
someone who has a daughter named Apple should be committed IMHO...

Sorry man, had to say....but Edge has a daughter called Blue angel.

Think i'd pick apple over that one.

Not a big poster here, but a big reader.....and yes, I think Coldplay have the best chance of any band in years of attaining U2-style popularity worldwide...

...all you have to do is look at the fact that Speed Of Sound debuted at 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 to know this record is goin to be huge....I see this being the year that Coldplay achieve Joshu Tree style popularity...

...i dont think they're as good a band, and find somethin innately boring in them....nothing much 'to say' if you compare that U2's third album was WAR at the age of 23...but we'll see.

However, I DO like the fact that U2 will be forced to go on the defensive and keep on their toes...I really like Atom Bomb and Vertigo was ONE HELL of a single, but I want them to try and break some new barriers down again like they used to...

my 2 cents!

:|

I'm going to buck the trend here a tad and simply put foward my opinions.

IMO Parachutes is a very similar debut to Boy - some dizzying highs (Yellow vs I Will Follow), some unbareabley boring lows (The Ocean vs We Never Change).

However October vs A Rush Of Blood To The Head is a complete no contest. AROBTTH is an incredible, incredible album. October is a reasonabley weak album by U2 standards.

If CP develop at the same rate as U2 then they will surpass U2. However there is no way we can know this. After listening to Boy & October you cannot invision Achtung Baby. So we don't really know wether or not Coldplay can develop like that - after every album release there are always break up rumours and the like.

I disagree with anyone who says that Coldplay don't have an X-Factor. I would hardly say that they have any less X-Factor at this point then Bono, Larry, Edge & Adam had on that beautiful October cover.

Mind you... X&Y will have to be amazing to beat War.

LemonAid said:
zwervers2 said:
someone who has a daughter named Apple should be committed IMHO...

Sorry man, had to say....but Edge has a daughter called Blue angel.

Think i'd pick apple over that one.
:

Lol..you are right I forgot...both suck tremendously though..Blue angel..man if it weren't for her daddy being loaded she would have a big problem..Can you imagine her first jobinterview; Hi I'm blue angel..what the hell ever....

...i dont think they're as good a band, and find somethin innately boring in them....nothing much 'to say' if you compare that U2's third album was WAR at the age of 23...but we'll see.

Looking at the material U2 made before they reached the age of 26 is very very impressive...

:| [/B]
:wink:

zwervers2 said:
:

Lol..you are right I forgot...both suck tremendously though..Blue angel..man if it weren't for her daddy being loaded she would have a big problem..Can you imagine her first jobinterview; Hi I'm blue angel..what the hell ever....

Looking at the material U2 made before they reached the age of 26 is very very impressive...

:|
:wink: [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I messed up big time...

see, coldplay are great, but:

1. why is he announcing they want to be bigger than u2? you just make yourself look like a jackass with things like that.

2. the fact that he puts their picture on the wall while recording is creepy......not to mention immature. do you own thing knucklehead.

terrible article.:down:

zwervers2 said:

Sorry I messed up big time... [/B][/QUOTE]

No Problem!!
:wink:

The thing I find strange about Coldplay's Ascent versus U2's is the speed....

...I just dont think that Coldplay will be able to have a career at the top much longer than a few more albums at this rate.... the music business has changed so much, bands like Coldplay are being forced to grow up so quicckly that they are now doing 'our change of direction record' on their 3rd Album! ...I mean, where do you go from there in 3 albums time?

U2 did their huge shift with Achtung on their 6th album....which made it all the more impactful because people had a worldwide preconception of what a U2 album should sound like....ie Joshua/Rattle Hum....and BAM!

...Coldplay have had 2 albums and they're already talking about trying to do that kind of schasm......it just occurs to me that you would run out of places to leap to if you dont allow the band to evolve more organically....

...sorry if this isnt making much sense, I hope it is.....:huh:

I can't see Coldplay staying together for 25 years and still be putting out fresh and new ideas.

Hasn't anyone else noticed that Coldplays 'Speed of Sound' is probably their most predictable, and IMO worst single they've released yet?

seems to me they've been getting WORSE since Parachutes. (we'll see when the new "Huge" album comes out I spose..)

*never posts here, but read all the time

agree......totally sounds like Clocks, but not as good...

...and clocks wasn't even THAT good.......third rate atmospherics....
:eyebrow:

Coldplay is a great fucking band.....but keep dreaming, buddy :no:

it's cool their setting the goals high though.

Hey Chris, why don't you give Micheal Stipe a call and ask him what happens when you try to make music that rivals U2's!? BITTER DISAPPOINTMENT AND FAILURE!:lol:

I kid Mr.Stipe, I love REM...pre '94.:wink:

JOFO said:

1. why is he announcing they want to be bigger than u2? you just make yourself look like a jackass with things like that.

2. the fact that he puts their picture on the wall while recording is creepy......not to mention immature. do you own thing knucklehead.

LOL to the entire post. You should read about some of U2's early 80's antics.

1. Bono often said he wanted U2 to be as big as the Beatles, and the biggest band in the world. Yep, what a jackass :rolleyes:

2. Ever watch rattle and hum when U2 had pictures of Johnny Cash and others on the walls while recording? Was that immature? No, it's just a way to try and get a little inspiration.

I think a lot of people here really underestimate Coldplay. They've done MUCH more with their first 2 albums than U2 ever did. You realize that Coldplay are already on the verge of being "the biggest band in the world?" Coldplay is trendy right now, especially among the MTV/VH1 crowd. U2 isn't. Within a few years, Coldplay will probably be considered the biggest band by default because they're able to reach that under 20 crowd that U2 isnt really able to connect with anymore.

Who knows if Coldplay will ever be as big as U2 was in their heyday or as important as U2 have been; that is yet to be seen. Remember: U2 didn't create the Joshua Tree until their 5th album; Coldplay is only releasing their 3rd. Who knows what they'll be able to do in a few years--but they've definitely got the worlds attention already.

Colplay's new single is boring and a dissapointment, I was expecting more, it's not a good start for a Band which is trying to live up to the success of it's previous brilliant record.. :)

I disagree with what your sayin 'ImOuttaContaol' I agree Coldplay are tendy, but so was Oasis and Radiohead.. no longer however.. I think this single will be the end of them.. and it's a pity..

Cheers

I don't think we should compare Coldplay and U2 careers by albums, but we should compare it by AGE.

U2 made 4 albums in 4 years, and by UF they were by 24... they released JT with 27...

Coldplay I think they're about 26... so... they should be trying to make their JT... establishing and making massive their "Coldplay sound"...

JOFO said:

1- there just complementing U2

2- Its not creepy, do you have any posters in your room? Maybe Michale Jordan or whoever you admired and wanted to someday acheive something as big as them, its not immature, it will just make them want to work harder, its a good idea!

LuvandPeace1980 said:

I disagree with what your sayin 'ImOuttaContaol' I agree Coldplay are tendy, but so was Oasis and Radiohead.. no longer however.. I think this single will be the end of them.. and it's a pity..

I like the new single--not one of their best but better than 80% of the crap on the radio. Then again, Coldplay never releases their best song as the first single; rather it seems more like the release a transition song from the last album. (look at In My Place for AROBTTH) Speed of Sound, to me, definitely sounds like a transitional song.

As for thinking this single will be their end? No way. I was reading that "speed of sound" is on pace to break download records, and is even one of the most requested songs on U.S. radio right now. Also, I just read this little bit of news from the bbc:

"Coldplay have become the first British band to have a new entry in the US Top 10 singles chart since The Beatles.
Coldplay's debut at number eight with Speed of Sound is the second time a UK band has achieved the feat. The Beatles managed it with Hey Jude in 1968."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4497001.stm

No doubt I love U2 more than coldplay, but I think Coldplay is on the verge of superstardom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom