MPH and my friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
I really do not like this situation I am with my friends... My friends are quite immature and they always insulting Make Poverty History campaign and me for caring about this stuff. I eplain to them time and time again what its about because when they bring it up they dont really know what its all about and they still dont get it.

The thing is they seem to hate the whole idea and they say blunt and make disturbing jokes about Africans that are poor etc.... They like too make jokes about this and they know i dont like it and they go on and it really offends me.

Yes i am having a whine arnt i?

But really i think whats happening in Africa is a discrace like alot of others but my friends dont get it and just say some really bad things... Its getting so bad that i dont even know if i want to hang around people like that....

Am i going over the top here or too sensitive, or should i do something and hold my ground.. whats your advice people...?

First of all, if they are teasing you or not respecting your feelings, that’s a separate issue all together. RESPECT find out what it means to me. You have to set inplace some boundaries and lines they should not cross. Maybe talk to each friend individually because if you talk in a group a lot of people fall back in to their group comfort zone where popularity, humor and ego live. So if you can get them away from that pack mentality and get them thinking for themselves it's more of a fair fight.
It’s important to explain to them how it makes you feel when they do this to you. I also feel you need to explain to them that MPH is something you feel strongly about and they better get used to you believing in it, because you’re not going to stop believing in it. If this still has no impact stop them in their tracks with a question along the lines of ‘How would suggest to end these poverty issues?’

Second, I don't feel your friends have to be MPH campaigners to stay your friends, it’s important not to throw away friendship, everyone in the end wants these issues to go away, some people just patronize as it’s the cool or less sensitive thing to do, but in the quiet and darker times when they really think about it they do feel like they want to be able to help. So if you truly want them to see how great a campaign it is just be patient, as one of the things that we are so cynical about in life are fads. We see them every year but this is really a mega campaign, it’s combined so many campaigns into the one.
So really there are still some people lagging or naysayer’s if you wish. Some of my friends felt the same 7 years ago when Jubilee 2000 was in the works. They do see otherwise now.

The most important thing about this all is to be strong and confident. You seem to know yourself that it's the right thing to be doing and that to sit around and do nothing about this issue is as you quoted ‘disgraceful’. I think with patience and confidence in your self you will find the way.

I deffently dont think they have to agree and join in my views but yes i think there is a lack of respect there.

Trust me if i ask them how ‘How would suggest to end these poverty issues?’ they would say something stupid like blow it up :|

it really frustrated me they say stuff like i "as in me" dont even care saying about these issues saying im all talk that i dont give money and i dont even sponsor a child... that really gets to me... I try explain what MPH is...

i'm sorry to break it you. if they're being that insensitive, and they are, then you don't need them as friends. remember "you" choose your friends. it's up to you if you want friends who respect you and your point of view or if you want the kind that are immature and don't dedicate the time to understanding you the way a real friend would.
they don't have to agree and support yyour views to be your friend, but a true friend will understandand accept you even if they don't agree with you.
just my .02

"insensitive" is the perfect word!

and i really hate that... I have thought about u know ending friendships... or so backing off a friendship...

Have you done any volunteering or letter-writing or related work for the campaign? I'd also be annoyed if my friends made similar comments, but honestly I haven't devoted any personal time to MPH so I can't even justify buying the wristband.

I have bought Wristbands, signed declarations, sent emails to local Mp's throught the website and have enquired about Volunteer work...

So im trying to to my bit.

Jeffo17 said:

its a shame buts that the way i feel... i feel there is little respect between us and thats what friends are about.

Make sure if u get in bars with them , u don't pay for them

And yeah indeed these folks sound like colleagues, school mates , anyway ocasional buddies sometimes , but not friends

Friends hear and in a way respect ur comments , even if u are sayin some serious bullshits , and talk about serious issues

Back
Top Bottom