mp3's versus the new CD: sound quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teebee

The Fly
I was wondering, for anyone who downloaded the variable bitrate mp3's and listened to them on a decent system (ipod, good computer speakers, etc), and has now bought the CD, can you tell a marked difference in sound quality?

If so, how?

If not, how?

No variable bit-rate for me, but the .mp3s sound EXACTLY like this CD does--absolutely no discernable difference. I'm only up to "Sometimes..." so far, but I've noticed less than nothing of note; maybe I'm just going deaf, but I'm pretty sure the stuff we got was "complete" in every way.

to my ears there is a pretty big difference, especially in the higher frequencies of the songs. Everything is more crisp and easy to hear.

me too me too, ripping them into lossless encoder actually made it enjoyable to listen to...there is a depth in the sound. although it doesn't seem to help COBL that much, i don't understand why people are raving about it!?!?!?!

Mp3 compress the crap out of the songs. You lose a lot of the small details and the mixing of the songs. It definitely sounds different. Try putting on headphones.

well, i burned the VBR cd and compared it to original on nice dolby 5.1 and i must say : original sounds definitely better

The first thing I've noticed is how extremely layered and awesome Vertigo is on the CD! I love it!

Also, you can hear the bass much better. The songs sound much richer. I think richer is the key word. Man this would sound great on vinyl!

Bono's voice is in front of the mix more, clearer, more treble, nice.

The guitars although layered and panned more (at least more discernable) are not as prominent on the CD.

So, I'll just have to turn it up.

;)

Mark

CD version :drool:

I even think Vertigo on the album sounds better than the singles.

:shifty: Now just waiting to get Mercy on some sort of official release.

The CD sound quality is :drool:

Just a reminder to everyone, the leak was to hold us over for the release. Be sure to support U2's effort & hardwork and pick up the CD for a few $.

CD is definitely better...my mp3 copy had high levels so the bass was distorted some. Also I don't think what I had was the "final" mix as on the CD the guitars seem more prominent. I was like "Ooh, it's The Edge, I remember him!"

thanks everyone. i am definitely going to buy it but if the sound quality was substantially better, i would go get it tonight. as it stands, it's probably not much better than my Ipod, grado sr-60's and VBR mp3s. So I'll go when it's convenient.

the itunes songs come over at 128 kbps bit rate. ONLY 128. Import the cd thru Apple Lossless and it comes in over a 1000 kbps. Click on the tune, and go under GET INFO in the file menu.

Importing the CD thru lossless is the best way to go if you want these puppies on your iPod.

Otherwise — CD quality is at around 1200 kbps or more.

Soooo much more bass, details in the music.

EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH said:
the itunes songs come over at 128 kbps bit rate. ONLY 128. Import the cd thru Apple Lossless and it comes in over a 1000 kbps. Click on the tune, and go under GET INFO in the file menu.

Importing the CD thru lossless is the best way to go if you want these puppies on your iPod.

Otherwise — CD quality is at around 1200 kbps or more.

Soooo much more bass, details in the music.

Your point about Apple Lossless is probably more important than you realize, and if this is an option, more people really need to know about it. I really don't think too many people know you can do this -- so many were complaining about iTunes downloads being only 128 Kbps.

Maybe you should start a thread detailing this -- it would make a lot of people happy (uh, if you hadn't already and I missed it).

I noticeed quite a difference in favour of the CD as soon as Bono said "Turn it up, Captain" and it sounded different to me than the 192kb/s MP3.

Soulrock2 said:
The cd feels like a first listening experience. CD quality is waaaay better IMO.

exactly! I was listening to it on the bus and it felt like I was listening to it for the first time again... the songs really HIT me, you know? The whole thing is like a wall of sound, surrounding me, going down on me, spillin...no wait a minute. Seriously though, I thought there was a noticable difference, especially in LAPOE, COBL, and Yahweh. Listening to LAPOE now... wow. This song is a powerhouse. The drums especially seem more prominent on the CD, and the bass doesn't distort when you boost it like it did with the mp3s (well it did for me anyway). The whole thing feels more complete somehow.

CD versions are louder...

and some chorus and even some guitar lines and bass lines are clearer

the cd is much better then the mp3...

that's bad 'cause i don't want to put the real cd in my car.

victor_f said:
the cd is much better then the mp3...

that's bad 'cause i don't want to put the real cd in my car.

If you directly copy your CD, it will be exactly the same quality -- then you bring that to your car, and store the original in a safe place.

It's mostly about the clarity of the highs and depth in the bass that mp3's mess up. The mp3's sounded really thin in my opinion and the highs were a bit distorted. I'd get the cd, it's only like 9 bucks.

under itunes 'preferences' you can change the importing type. Apple Lossless will give you essentially a duplicate of your cd. Regular imports like AAC, mp3, etc. do lose something thru compression.
Lossless has mininal compression, thus, fuller songs.

here's the deal that i can figure out so far with iTunes. If you own the CD, you can then choose the preferences of how you want to download your songs from the cd onto your computer (mp3, aiff, acc, etc... and at what rate, 128, 192, lossless, etc...) But if you buy songs from iTunes, they are 128kbps ACC files. Yes this sucks. the only silver lining is that ACC is a better compression type and 128 sound about the same quality as a 164, or even 192 mp3(so they say) It does sound better than 128 bit mp3, but not sure if it's as good as a 192 mp3.

Anyway, I haven't found a way to choose the format of the download you buy from iTunes, which is kinda lame.

Back
Top Bottom