Mothers 1998_02_11 Santiago del Chile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
I just downloaded this concert...how powerful. I know that this was one of the most uncomfortable moments in U2 concert history. I realize how apparently pretentious U2 might have seemed. But you can feel the hurt, the love, the anger, in the madre's voices. I'm so proud that my favorite band has the balls to bring the Mothers of the Disappeared on stage and ask for justice.

so you are agreeing with me...sorry i'm just really slow right now as my finals are killing me and my lack of sleep and true studying....enough complaining...

I just finished reading "Bono in Conversation," and Bono talks about that moment. Apparently, it was a controversial decision - there were cheers and boos in the crowd when he called out for Pinochet to tell these people where their families were buried.

i have it on vhs. it's one of those moments that you feel pride to be a fan of this band.

EL PUEBLO VENCERA

Santiago de Chile was good but it was better the first concert in Argentina when the Mothers of the Disappeared joined the stage with the band. A unique moment.

"We do not judge you; God is your judge." Pretty heavy stuff for a rock show.
blueyedpoet said:
i don't mean to be a total idiot, but what does that mean?
If you mean "El Pueblo Vencera," I think it means "the people win."
BlueAingeal said:
Santiago de Chile was good but it was better the first concert in Argentina when the Mothers of the Disappeared joined the stage with the band. A unique moment.
Either the same thing happened in Chile, or those were the most sublime Edge background vocals ever. Different mothers of different victims from a different South American military coup, but a fitting moment nonetheless.

Last edited:
Was the footage from the Joshua Tree Classic Albums DVD where the women joined U2 on stage for Mothers of the Disappeared from the Chile or the Argentina concert?

I WAS THERE :dance:

And yes, it was VERY unconfortable... as someone said, a lot of boos, a lot of cheers.

For me, a 13 year old that has his WHOLE family on Pinochet's side was very... wierd. I don't care for the guy. He did well as he did bad. But everyone know the bad parts because it was more "evident". But this country couldn't be as high as it is if it wasn't for the balance in economics that goverment did. I'm not saying that equals the dissapearing persons, not at all. But not ALL the dissapeared where "oh so innocent" (but that's for another time)

At least I DIDN'T liked it at the moment. Because this is a rock show, not a protest. Everyone would've been happy with the Mothers there, because it's a noble cause (even though my mom says that someone pays to those women just to protest :ohmy: , that some of the dissapeared are happy living in other countries, and at least a few really ARE, proved). But them talking, was a little too much.

That's why people cheered or booed. Those who cheered were AGAINST Pinochet all the way. Thos who booed could've been against Pinochet, or had the same sens I had... that this was maybe too much.

But IT DID made that concert extra-special, I agree on that.

PS: Yes, people ARE for Pinochet here, a lot. But now less people than before, at least people who accept it. I'd say that is 35/65. I know is more than you thought it was :yes:

pepokiss said:
I WAS THERE :dance:

And yes, it was VERY unconfortable... as someone said, a lot of boos, a lot of cheers.

For me, a 13 year old that has his WHOLE family on Pinochet's side was very... wierd. I don't care for the guy. He did well as he did bad. But everyone know the bad parts because it was more "evident". But this country couldn't be as high as it is if it wasn't for the balance in economics that goverment did. I'm not saying that equals the dissapearing persons, not at all. But not ALL the dissapeared where "oh so innocent" (but that's for another time)

At least I DIDN'T liked it at the moment. Because this is a rock show, not a protest. Everyone would've been happy with the Mothers there, because it's a noble cause (even though my mom says that someone pays to those women just to protest :ohmy: , that some of the dissapeared are happy living in other countries, and at least a few really ARE, proved). But them talking, was a little too much.

That's why people cheered or booed. Those who cheered were AGAINST Pinochet all the way. Thos who booed could've been against Pinochet, or had the same sens I had... that this was maybe too much.

But IT DID made that concert extra-special, I agree on that.

PS: Yes, people ARE for Pinochet here, a lot. But now less people than before, at least people who accept it. I'd say that is 35/65. I know is more than you thought it was :yes:

i am glad for you that all your family was on pinochet's side, otherwise you would have lived the risk of not having a family at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom