Most overrated U2 album - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What do you think is the most overrated U2 album?
Boy 2 1.96%
October 2 1.96%
War 10 9.80%
UABRS 3 2.94%
Unforgettable Fire 3 2.94%
Joshua Tree 21 20.59%
Rattle and Hum 6 5.88%
Achtung Baby 4 3.92%
Zooropa 1 0.98%
Passengers 3 2.94%
Pop 7 6.86%
All That You Can't Leave Behind 40 39.22%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
omg, i didn't even read the post, I just wanted to say...

LIKE SOMEONE...where the heck have ya been????

Tax season over yet?
Technically, yes, tax season is over but in reality it's NEVER OVER for us tax accountants!

I just needed some time to "recharge" the discussion forum batteries again...so I'm looking forward to contributing my 2 cents here again on a more regular basis...starting today!

In response to the forum member who mentioned in this thread that "Trip" would have fit better on Rattle and Hum I just have to say.....Amen, brother (or sister!

Old 06-12-2002, 03:53 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:28 PM
well, it's nice to have you back. Check your private message inbox. I think you have mail.

Old 06-12-2002, 03:56 PM   #23
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:28 PM
It's all a matter of when you became a fan.

Context is huge.

If you became a fan in the post-AB years, you aren't going to fully understand how powerful JT is/was.

You might still really like the album, but it won't have the same effect on you that it did if you were between the ages of 14-22 when you first heard it.

I consider myself fortunate to be 32 years old because I was at just the right age to really appreciate U2s finest work.

WAR - 13
UF - 15
JT - almost 17
AB - 21

Pretty great years to be totally immersed in U2
Old 06-12-2002, 03:58 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:28 PM
[QUOTE][i]

UF is a transitional album for the band that produced a resounding radio hit with Pride and a terrific arena rock, U2 concert classic in Bad. The title track is good, but songs like "Promenade" "Elvis Presley and America" and "Indian Summer Sky" are mediocre. I just think that UF gets more kudos than it deserves based on the emergence of Pride as a radio hit. In other words, U2 was largely unknown to U.S. radio listeners until that song came out...Pride sort of "introduced" U2 to the masses here in the States...yet the album itself was (possibly still is) hailed by many as a "great" album because of the success of Pride and to a lesser commercial extent, Bad. In my opinion, those are really the only two legitimate songs on the entire album with the possible exception of the title track and Homecoming. The rest of the album is more conceptual in nature and experimental due to the Eno/Lanois team working with the boys for the first time. It is for these reasons I just feel UF is a little overrated...but I still enjoy it and appreciate it's work nonetheless!

I completely, completely agree, I think that UF gets propped up so much because of the presence of "Pride." I have seriously listened to each U2 album, one after the other in order to get a feel for where the band was coming from and where they were going, and after that experiment I put my very favorites into a super regular rotation. UF didn't make that cut because it just doesn't stick with me the way "Boy," "October," "Joshua Tree," "Rattle & Hum," "Achtung Baby," "Zooropa," "Pop" and "ATUCLB" have. The real strength of an album lies with the songs that weren't released as singles, and on UF they just don't stand up that well, don't really make it worthwhile to me to listen to the entire thing. On the other hand, I could listen to any track from any of the other U2 albums I listed and dig them all, regardless of if they were singles or not.
I do have a great appreciation for UF because it did push U2 to the forefront in America and it laid the groundwork for "Joshua Tree."
Old 06-12-2002, 04:02 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Um, it's a tie between Zooropa and Pop.
Hey girlie, thank you so much for being the first to say this!
Old 06-12-2002, 04:03 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:28 PM
I voted for Rattle and Hum because I think that people were expecting too much from the album and the message they put out was misinterpreted. I loveveral songs but as a group of songs it is probably my least favorite "album"
Old 06-12-2002, 04:03 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:58 PM
like I said
Pop was never loved by anyone outside the hardcore fan circle

zooropa is anything but over-rated.
great unique piece of work there
Old 06-12-2002, 04:13 PM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

GRRRRR for not having multiple choices!

anyway, i voted for atyclb.
second choice would be jt.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:11 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still
ATYCLB

Just not my cup of tea. I'm left scratching my head as reviewers compare it to The Joshua Tree and other earlier works.

It's definitely it's own album - in that it sounds like 50% adult contemporary radio music.
These are my thoughts exactly- I have always thought that this album sounds very 'adult contemporary/easy listening' now I like this album (even though to this day I still dont own a legit copy of it- I have a few singles and mp3s) but it just hasnt completely won me over yet and when I look at the back catalogue of music, well to me it is clearly a bit lacking and I think very overated
Old 06-12-2002, 05:42 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 07:28 PM
*follower comes from the shadows and looks around...where are the POP haters?*

No, please, dont shoot me!

Gotta go with ATYCLB as the most overrated. But I love it.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:45 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

how could anyone choose POP??

I picked R&H on this one. It was number one for about 6 weeks, sold 6 million copies in the U.S. and is thought by most of the public/fairweather U2 fans as one of the few classic records that U2 had. BULLLLLLLL !!!!!! And everyone here knows that. To think that this album was almost as succesful as AB, and more successful (sales-wise) than any of their post AB releases, makes my stomach turn. To me it is U2 at their least "U2ishness" and is overall a mediocre album with a couple of highlight tracks (Heartland, All I Want...)

POP was panned by critics, shunned by record buyers, and given little respect by even pretty solid fans. I LOVE this record - no way in hell was it over-rated.

As for the JT being over-rated debate. I tend to disagree. While I think AB is the superior album, I do think that JT should be in the top ten of every top 50 list ever done. I just think that AB should be in the Top 5 of every top 50 list!

I just think it's a shame that JT overshadows the complete greatness and shere brilliance of AB. Like I said JT deserves the praise that it gets, But for some odd reason the critics and even the public don't want to see two U2 records in the top 10 on their lists. They seem fine with putting two or three beatles records near the top, but that's life guess.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:12 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ATYCLB, hands down. I like it, but I honestly don't see how anyone could put it on the same level as JT and AB, which a lot of critics and fans seem to be doing. I don't think it comes within a mile of either of those albums, or within a mile of either War or UF for that matter. I agree with the earlier posters who said it sounds just a little too "adult contemporary." It might be good adult contemporay music, but I want U2 to be daring, be passionate, be interesting, to ROCK!
Old 06-12-2002, 07:24 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
like I said
Pop was never loved by anyone outside the hardcore fan circle

I just recently had the updated version of Niall Stokes's Into the Heart out from the library--I own the version up to and including Zooropa and Passengers, but this one goes up to ATYCLB--and according to him it was "their most highly acclaimed album ever." I really don't think that's true, and that opinion doesn't have a whole lot to do with the fact that I don't like Pop very much. However, though I enjoy that book it irritates me as well in that he disses some of my favourite U2 songs, including Another Time, Another Place, Rejoice, and Like a Song, for no very good reasons, and he refuses to say one single tiny little bad thing about any of their 90's work. Since he's pretty critical in some places, I find it hard to believe that he could love every single note of the 90's work, without even one second of dislike, as he seems to...but who knows.

To add to what someone else said, Pop certainly was not panned by critics when it came out. This is a myth that has grown up since. I read one review which said, no lie, that it was U2's "first great album." I think that even most people who really love Pop wouldn't say that. I saw a lot of four star reviews, even though when you read them, you discovered that in some cases they were two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half reviews--the reviewers just didn't want to give less than four to U2. The critical backlash came later. I think that it started with the first show of the tour, which apparently was severely under-rehearsed and disappointed a fair number of people. However, friends of mine went to the second show--I think that was San Diego? and they really enjoyed it.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:46 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight

To add to what someone else said, Pop certainly was not panned by critics when it came out. This is a myth that has grown up since. I read one review which said, no lie, that it was U2's "first great album." I think that even most people who really love Pop wouldn't say that. I saw a lot of four star reviews, even though when you read them, you discovered that in some cases they were two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half reviews--the reviewers just didn't want to give less than four to U2. The critical backlash came later. I think that it started with the first show of the tour, which apparently was severely under-rehearsed and disappointed a fair number of people. However, friends of mine went to the second show--I think that was San Diego? and they really enjoyed it.
Yeah, I remember that...That's exactly right. MTV was U2 mania leading up to the Popmart Tour and the album...They played U2 A-Z all day long when Discotheque premiered...And then it seemed like shortly after that there wasn't so much U2 on MTV, not at all...You know, I hadn't even seen the other music videos from that album until a couple of months ago, when I was able to acquire them on tape!

And it seems like in just the last couple of years the Popmart TOUR has gotten a LOT of flack. It's pretty much been labeled the "lemon" of the band's career, yet it was one of the biggest tours here in the USA in the summer of 1997!

So overall, imho (and as someone else here stated), there's no way in hell that Pop is overrated!
Old 06-12-2002, 09:34 PM   #35
Kid A

I think Sula, One Tree Still and OzAurora summed it up nicely on the reasons why All That You Can't Leave Behind is the must overrated U2 album; and I do like the album, but not as much when the newness of it wore off, while with every other U2 album I've grown to love them more and more over time, with the exception of perhaps Rattle & Hum

and maybe hardcore fans among us feel that Pop or Zooropa are overrated, but neither is highly rated by casual fans
Old 06-12-2002, 09:54 PM   #36
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
ATYCLB, hands down. I like it, but I honestly don't see how anyone could put it on the same level as JT and AB, which a lot of critics and fans seem to be doing. I don't think it comes within a mile of either of those albums, or within a mile of either War or UF for that matter. I agree with the earlier posters who said it sounds just a little too "adult contemporary." It might be good adult contemporay music, but I want U2 to be daring, be passionate, be interesting, to ROCK!
I agree with everything you said here, haven't listened to ATYCLB in months, probably listened to it less than ten times since I bought it. It does have some good ideas in it but I just don't find it that interesting, just not as as "dangerous" and exciting as other U2 albums. Part of the reason I was so dissapointed with ATYCLB is that I started liking U2 in the 90s, around the time of AB and Zoo tv. I was 17 when Discotheque came out and I've always been a fan of the more experimental U2. ATYCLB just sounds too mainstream and "easy-listening" for me. I still don't understand why critics are putting it up there with JT and AB....
Old 06-12-2002, 10:04 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Someone asked me if I was under 12 when JT came out.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Apparently, you must be a newbie.

Also, PLEASE don't give me this nonsence about listening to the album again. This is not a "DoctorWho hates JT" thread, for that is simply not true. I think JT is an exceptionally strong album. I thought I stated this very clearly when I posted it before, but I guess some people, in their anxiety to reply, missed it.

I listed reasons why I felt JT is over-rated, not why I do not like it. In my mind, JT is STILL the best album released in 1987, one of the best albums released on the 80's and one of the best albums released of all times. However, I just don't feel it is one of U2's best (that is, if I were to "grade" it, I'd give it an A-/B+ instead of an A) and I'm tired of hearing about it.

What makes something over-rated? It's an item that you hear about constantly that you don't think merits the attention. Well, that holds true for JT for me. Every time a casual fan mentions U2, there's JT in the conversation. Every time I see a top album poll, there's JT. And since I just don't think JT is *that* great of an album - as compared to other U2 albums - I've grown tired of constantly hearing this album praised. Hence, this is why I feel it is over-rated.

To reiterate - don't tell me to relisten to the album. I've heard it plenty. This isn't about trying to convince me that JT is a good album. I already think that. I just think it is also over-rated. We can like something and still feel it is over-rated. For example, I liked "Spider-Man" - but I don't think it merits all of the attention it is receiving. Hence, it is now risking being over-rated.

*edited - adding more comments.

As some in this thread have stated about other albums, the more I listen to JT, the less I like it. There are some songs I'll always love ("One Tree Hill"), but that "newness" factor wore off on my a long time ago. When I reach for U2, JT is often the last album I'll grab. ATYCLB may be a little too "adult contemporary" but this does not make it over-rated. How some of you are connecting these two thoughts is beyond my comprehension. In other words, if that's your only reason for saying ATYCLB is "over-rated" then I don't accept your explanation.

As Womanfish wisely stated, it seems that JT overshadows all of U2's other work, and THIS is the reason it is over-rated. It simply isn't strong enough of an album - IN MY OPINION - to do this. In contrast, I do think AB, UF, and ATYCLB are strong enough.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:32 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

there was this guy in chat the other day who bashed my skull in for saying that atyclb is as boring as a slab of tire rubber.

i wish hed take a look at this poll - im not the only one who thinks that.

now dont get me wrong, it is a good album - all their albums are at least good.

but its not great.

and when were talking about u2, asking for great isnt too much to ask is it? i mean they are definately, imo in the top 5 bands in the world.

atyclb is pure adult contemporary. i dare say it compares to matchbox twenty on many levels. with the exception of the TOMB RAIDER mix of elevation (they even overproduced it on the album to make it even more quiter!! wtf?!?!?! i thought it was supposed to be "raw and punk"?!?) all of those songs fit right along side matchbox 20 and the calling.

(N)

im being very harsh only cause theyre my fav. band and i can say what i want. i just HOPE they come out with something INTERESTING on their next album.

that is all.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:45 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
there was this guy in chat the other day who bashed my skull in for saying that atyclb is as boring as a slab of tire rubber.

i wish hed take a look at this poll - im not the only one who thinks that.

atyclb is pure adult contemporary.

I feel like bashing your head in too. Not because you think ATYCLB is boring (although that is reason enough), but because...

[rant]

A BORING ALBUM DOES NOT MAKE IT OVER-RATED!

AN ALBUM THAT IS MORE "ADULT CONTEMPORARY" IN STYLE DOES NOT MAKE IT OVER-RATED!!

[/rant]

I'm not a super-fan of JT, but I do like it. However, I think I've listed plenty of reasons why I feel it is over-rated - and NONE of them include the overall style of the album. If ATYCLB doesn't impress you, that's fine. Perhaps you can point out weaknesses in the album and state that for these reasons you feel it is over-rated. But to simply state that the style is more "adult contemporary" that you prefer does not, in and of itself, make it over-rated.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:53 PM   #40
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

What makes something over-rated? It's an item that you hear about constantly that you don't think merits the attention. Well, that holds true for JT for me. Every time a casual fan mentions U2, there's JT in the conversation. Every time I see a top album poll, there's JT. And since I just don't think JT is *that* great of an album - as compared to other U2 albums - I've grown tired of constantly hearing this album praised. Hence, this is why I feel it is over-rated.

As some in this thread have stated about other albums, the more I listen to JT, the less I like it. There are some songs I'll always love ("One Tree Hill"), but that "newness" factor wore off on my a long time ago. When I reach for U2, JT is often the last album I'll grab. ATYCLB may be a little too "adult contemporary" but this does not make it over-rated. How some of you are connecting these two thoughts is beyond my comprehension. In other words, if that's your only reason for saying ATYCLB is "over-rated" then I don't accept your explanation.

I think that the reason why so many people, including myself, connect "adult-contemporary" with "overated" is that adult contemporary isn't usually a type of music that gets a lot of recognition from music critics. It is usually rather blend music that stays on the safe side and doesn't alienate fans with surprising sounds and ideas. Music that is daring and innovative while touching people deserves praise and recognition.

For some reason though, most critics thought that ATYCLB was a stellar record and gave it excellent reviews. Also, U2 has had more exposure this year than I can remember ever having it. For the reasons that you have mentioned above, namely that I'm tired of everyone saying what a great album it is, I think that ATYCLB is overrated. In other words, I don't think it deserved all the accolades it received. I think it overshadows the rest of U2's work and I'm worried about the possible backlash that might follow such a mainstream success. People tend to see U2 now as a big mainsteam arena band and forget about all the creativity and risks that they took in their career. Of course that is just my opinion and I can see how some people who really like it my think that it deserved all the recoginition it received but I just don't see it that way.