Most Overrated Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImOuttaControl said:

City of Blinding Lights: has one of the cheesiest sounding choruses of all time.
The Unforgettable Fire: Live it is a great song, but it was murdered in the studio. Those synths and strings turn a song that could have been timeless into a relic of the 80's.

wrong.

besides, what version of unforgettable fire "live" are you even talking about?

Though it's one of U2's recent offerings, I have to say MIRACLE DRUG :yikes: I mean, seriously people; I do not see what is so great about this song. It's standard U2 fare and one of the weaker tracks off Hot Tub...all in my opinion, mind you :uhoh:

Discoteque is not overrated. It was, is, and always will be cool. :wink: And anyone who calls ATYCLB 'poor', 'horrible', or 'crap' is no friend of mine. I wouldn't really call any U2 song overrated. There are definitely some that are underrated though.

Beautiful Day. I simply don't get all the adulation of this song. To me it sounds like another band trying to sound like U2 and only managing to pull off a very generic, "lite" version of the '80s U2 sound.

I can't see how people think Pop is overrated because most people didn't rate it very well to begin with.

As for an overrated song, that is really tough. Although I love the song, based on the overexposure it had, I'll go with Beautiful Day.

Pride & Beautiful Day

If I'm in a store, at a bar, or somewhere there's a radio playing, these are the only U2 songs that might come on that won't make me glad to hear them. I don't skip them on the albums, but I think both have been overplayed to death.

WOWY has been overplayed live, but for some reason it's not as in your face. The other two are far from subtle.

laz

Ultra Violet, by a mile. Utterly boring pop drivel. (What did you expect me to say?)

You cannot possibly over-rate COBL or the entire Unforgettable Fire. Even I under-rate them.

I just sobbed in my room for those who think that ONE is over-rated, poor souls... :wink:

anyway, for me I cant really think of one, I'm thinking "original of the species." It's a very solid song, but I can't see how people think it should be a single or it's the best they've done. I see it as a possible great song that was pushed down to good because of the cheesy strings, the burying of Edge's brilliant guitar work, and the "dooo dooo dooo" lines. Still like it though, which I guess is a nod to u2 as a band

JOFO said:

wrong.

besides, what version of unforgettable fire "live" are you even talking about?

1. RIGHT! COBL has an incredibly cheesy chorus! I mean, seriously, I had my brother and sister in law listen, along with a few of their friends and they all said it sounded cheesy. Like they couldn't have thought of at least a better melody for "Oh-you-look-so-beau-ti-ful--tonight!" Wow, it just sucks IMO.

2. Any version.. The song is great without the synths, which is my point. From the boot DVD's I have, the Syracuse and L.A. '87 shows have great versions, along with some audio boot versions I have. The live version is far superior to the cheesy 80's sounding version that was recorded for the album.

Stuck in A Moment....

although most U2 fans seem to dislike it, the media and general public seem to love this song for some reason...

Catman said:
Though it's one of U2's recent offerings, I have to say MIRACLE DRUG :yikes: I mean, seriously people; I do not see what is so great about this song. It's standard U2 fare and one of the weaker tracks off Hot Tub...all in my opinion, mind you :uhoh:

Miracle Drug is incredibly verage by their standard.
I'm with you here. Worst song off the album, excluding Yahweh mind you.

Back
Top Bottom