Most Outdated Song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bones58

The Fly
Copying a bit from the other thread about dated albums. Anyway what U2 song has aged the worst? As in, does the effects sound cheesy? Or dodgy Lyrics? Anyway I would probably choose The UF, very 80's sounding with the synthesizer and Larry Mullen's drumming. Still good song though :)

The Refugee

But I don't throw up when I lsten to it. I actually like it.

Bones58 said:
I would probably choose The UF, very 80's sounding with the synthesizer and Larry Mullen's drumming. Still good song though :)

Totally agree with this, although you could say that about almost the entire album (Pride somehow manages to escape sounding pretty fresh). It took me a long time to appreciate TUF the song (I bought it in '92), and even though I like it now there's a certain cringe factor.

This is one of the still reasons I wanted to hear it on this tour so badly. It's way overdue for an update.

The Refugee is pretty dated too, although I wonder if that EVER sounded good...

I disagree with the UF being dated....
To me it is clearly songs like The Refugee, With a shout (that I actually love!), When Love comes to Town and Love rescue me that sound very dated.....

TUF is one of my favourite songs dated or not, but in fact I don't think is dated... But I agree that The Refugee among others is. Wich doesn't mean they're bad songs... Except for When Love Comes To Town... I don't like it:reject:

Bones58 said:
Copying a bit from the other thread about dated albums. Anyway what U2 song has aged the worst? As in, does the effects sound cheesy? Or dodgy Lyrics? Anyway I would probably choose The UF, very 80's sounding with the synthesizer and Larry Mullen's drumming. Still good song though :)

I can't say I agree with that. I heard The Unforgettable Fire on the radio for the first time this past Friday and it sounded completely fresh. It does have an 80's feel to it and at parts sounds like early Cure but it doesn't have an in your face 80's cheese sound to it. I think this song has aged very well. I would have to go with The Refugee or maybe Seconds which by the way I also heard on the radio last week for the first time ever(Seconds I mean). Also as good as Mofo is it has more of a distinct 90's sound than any other U2 song in my opinion.

Anything off side two of WAR sounds incredibly dated to me. I mean, October sounds kinda dated, but the whole album oozes an original atmosphere, whereas half of WAR just sounds like U2 trying to rock out and be exciting but not really pulling it off. I do love "Two Hearts" tho. TUF never sounded dated to me at all. I think it sounds far removed from the time it was recorded. Not your typical 80's fare.

ozeeko said:
Anything off side two of WAR sounds incredibly dated to me. I mean, October sounds kinda dated, but the whole album oozes an original atmosphere, whereas half of WAR just sounds like U2 trying to rock out and be exciting but not really pulling it off. I do love "Two Hearts" tho. TUF never sounded dated to me at all. I think it sounds far removed from the time it was recorded. Not your typical 80's fare.

I don't always agree with your posts, but this one is spot on :up:

The second half of War sounds so incredibly 80's. The Unforgettable Fire does have some 80's sounds, but to me it has a very distinct feeling that cannot be tied to a single decade... it is timeless. it's all in the OMG ATMOSPHERE! :wink:

Yahweh_OMG said:
When Love comes to Town and Love rescue me that sound very dated.....
:uhoh: I think that was kinda the idea of Rattle and Hum - To make songs that celebrated the past.

And my nominations for most dated songs: Unforgettable Fire, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat as One.

I agree with the second half of War. Even October doesn't sound this dated. Only "40" escapes the vote for me on the second half of War.

Almost everything mentioned here. Most pre-UF album songs are dated in my eyes. I Will Follow has a horrible melody IMO. That chorus is atrocious.

Red Light is dated as hell. I think all of you folks mentioning UF are insane, though.

WalkOn21 said:
Hmm, dodgy lyrics you were saying?
I nominate Another Time Another Place.

Bono singing about "the open space of my bed" at the age of 17. :crazy:

Bono was 20 when Boy was recorded.

Back
Top Bottom