Most Disappointing Thing About The Best Of 1990-2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the worst thing about The Best Of 1990-2000?

• Tracks from ATYCLB are included

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • The Fly is going to be a hidden track (or may not even appear at all!)

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Lemon isn't included.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • The tracks from Pop are all remixed

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • The cover art

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The b-sides disc is filled with remixes of album tracks

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Electrical Storm

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
I happen to love Electrical Storm, the new cover art, and the b-sides disc. However, choices 2 and 3 are the ones that really bug me. Not including Lemon is bad, but it's almost acceptable when thinking about how it was never a hit to begin with here in the U.S. and that it's a bit too weird for the casual listener (not to mention that it's length would probably take away a song from the album). Unfortunately though, the fact that The Fly isn't going to be a listed track, or may not even appear on the album just makes me :rant:.

None of the above. It's that Walk On and Elevation aren't on it. ATYCLB is the album that made me a U2 fan and I think those should be there instead of the non-U2 projects of Miss Sarajevo and the Batman song.

Ultravioletbabe said:
None of the above. It's that Walk On and Elevation aren't on it. ATYCLB is the album that made me a U2 fan and I think those should be there instead of the non-U2 projects of Miss Sarajevo and the Batman song.

While "Miss Sarajevo" was actually a Passengers track, HMTMKMKM is an official U2 song, though it was not on a U2 album. I think that U2 even won Band of the Year at the MTV Europe Video Music Awards the year that HMTMKMKM was released (or year after...however that timeframe goes...). That's pretty cool, since they didn't even release an album that year.

i'd like to vote for more than one, but nearly every band's greatest hits appeal to the lowest common denominator so I don't really care.

No matter what the track listing, I would not buy it.

My biggest disappointment is all the remixes on the b-sides disc. A few remixes would have been cool, but I wasn't expecting so many at the expense of actual b-sides like Always, Big Girls Are Best, etc. I was also hoping Ground Beneath Her Feet might be on there, if not on the main disc.

i went with lemon. here's why i didn't vote for the other ones:

Tracks from ATYCLB are included: i didn't want them there, but it's not a big deal to me that they're on there. it's only two songs, so i think it's cool.
The Fly is going to be a hidden track (or may not even appear at all!): i already have the song, so again it's not a big deal.
The tracks from Pop are all remixed: it'll be interesting to hear the remixes. i already own pop, so it'll be kinda neato. although i think they should use single versions of the songs instead of new remixes. casual fans will listen and go :scratch:
The cover art: not a big deal. since nothing's official yet, who knows how it will turn out. even so, i hardly look at album covers so it's not that important to me.
The b-sides disc is filled with remixes of album tracks: that kinda pisses me off, since again, it's lame to fill it up with remixes. although some could argue that 90's U2 was all about remixes (i'm sure more of their b-sides were remixes than actual outtakes!) so...blah.
Electrical Storm: i'm actually excited about this one. it'll be cool to have a good quality version of the song.

no disk said:

No matter what the track listing, I would not buy it.

Really?

I can't comprehend this. As a collector, this is an essential item for my collection. However, as a fan, I can't wait to have the TWO BRAND NEW SONGS as well as hear the remade versions of the "Pop" and "Zooropa" songs. Plus, having the DVD is great. To me, there are just too many GOOD things about this "Best Of" collection that merit its purchase.

Didn't vote. I wouldn't care if they decided to record "Mary had a little lamb" and make it one of their new songs. New U2! You can't go wrong! :happy:

none from the above

1) " Atyclb included in 1990-2000 " , yes it's completely right that songs were icluded , ATYCLB release date is the year 2000 + 2 songs from remix and recording in 02 ( e-storm and handsthat build america ).

2) cut this crap about " this not included , that not included " the space on disk is not endless , besides we all have different tastes in music

3) remixes of POP , numb , watever - the right of the band , maybe this new is also pretty good .

b-sides , u2 in 90's were connected with dance hall , so it's pretty fair that some b-sides are dance remixes .

for Electric storm , well you always place something new on disk called "best of " , for fans , critics and don't forget radio airplay to promote the goddamn release !

:angel: :angel: :angel:

you make a good point dr. who, which is par for course, but its hard for me to justify paying for a "Best Of" and "B Side" compilation when U2 can't follow through on their own Propaganda obligation.

unless they prove us all wrong and surprise us with a nice package, I can't help but feel a little jipped by paying for a full subscription and only getting one issue. granted, i did get hooked up with good seats during Elevation, but the agreement encomposed more than this when i paid the fee.

If they play this game, I'll just get the remixes for free online.

None of the above ...

I am disappointed because they did not put more POP tracks. Mofo, Please, Miami, Last Night On Earth, Velvet Dress ...only a moro wouldn't categorize those songs as among U2's best from the 1990-2000 period.

Cheers,

J

Look mate, U2 did POP in 1997 and its history now.Million people's liking or disliking can't change the history. I dont know what you are upto or what's your Propaganda, but I think you should seek some professional help. This kind of serious obsession with a musician's work is a bit frightening. If you think your shenaningans can change something well then take a hard look at yourself.You have a great energy, use it purposefully.

no disk said:
you make a good point dr. who, which is par for course, but its hard for me to justify paying for a "Best Of" and "B Side" compilation when U2 can't follow through on their own Propaganda obligation.

unless they prove us all wrong and surprise us with a nice package, I can't help but feel a little jipped by paying for a full subscription and only getting one issue. granted, i did get hooked up with good seats during Elevation, but the agreement encomposed more than this when i paid the fee.

If they play this game, I'll just get the remixes for free online.

LOL! :lol: Point understood, however, keep in mind that the Propaganda issue and this "Best Of" release are two very different things. :)

Even though I've been a Propaganda subscriber for years (happily enjoying "Melon" and "Hasta La Vista" as well as seats for several tours), clearly this last issue is taking an extraordinarily long time to create. Plus, for the new subscribers, there does seem to be a major issue here - what does U2 do with that subscription $$? New subscribers were promised 4 issues and at best will only receive two. Therefore, U2 has a choice: they can refund the $$, offer something special (CD's) to compensate for the $$, use the $$ for an on-line subscription or do nothing with the $$.

Fans will clealry be furious with the last option - and it could even represent some legal issues for U2, so I doubt that will happen. Therefore, I think the reason this last issue is taking so long is because U2 - and their staff - are working out these details. If U2.com is to fully replace Propaganda, then I'd like to see the third option I listed above occur - namely a special section on U2.com where people can pay for a "premium" membership. This "premium" membership will allow fans access to special CDs or tickets to upcoming tours that are not available to the public. It just seems the easiest and most logical way of handling this whole Propaganda situation. And it gives die-hard fans the chance to get something rare.

However, to return to the initial comment, this "Best Of" is a separate issue. I understand your frustration, but I don't feel the two issues necessarily relate to each other. Granted, while you can download the songs, it's not really the same as having the actual CD. Nor will you have the bonus DVD (which will be far more challenging to download - at least for a while).

But it's your choice. :shrug:

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, I am totally excited about this new release. The only thing that slightly makes me a bit angry is the whole Lemon/Fly stuff. I don't have any of the songs on The B-Sides disc, POP songs will finally sound the way the band wanted them to, there's TWO new songs on the Best Of (the first of which is already a U2 CLASSIC in my book) and a new DVD. There's nothing else I could really ask for.

BTW, I may be in the minority here, but I really dig the album cover as well.

I don't understand why any songs released after 2000 are on it at all. They should all be saved for the 2000-2010 cd. But, I'm extremly irritated that The Fly has been left off. I do not think it should be a hidden track. It deserves to be front and center. The Fly was Bono's persona for a majority of the 90's, it was their first single of the 90's and it kicked off the whole "Zoo" feel. I just don't get it. Plus, it is a great song, and deserves to be included.
I also think (but not quite as passionately) that the B sides should have less remixes. After leaving Gloria off the 1980-1990 disk, I can't believe they're pulling the same shit. Their excuse then was that they had 'moved beyond Gloria-it was no longer relevant'. Is that the same sorry excuse for The Fly? I'll believe that when Bono takes off the goggles for good.

Back
Top Bottom