Most annoying U2 thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing that burns my bacon is how they will plan their singles and album releases to cover TWO years of Grammy nominations.

Example: They released "Beautiful Day" early enough in the year 2000 for it to qualify for nomination for the upcoming Grammys. Then they timed the release of ATYCLB to qualify for next year's Grammy nominations. So by doing that they cover both years.

They did the EXACT same thing with "Vertigo" and HTDAAB. Released a single first for the current year, then the album to cover the next year. Makes me wonder if they are trying to set a new record for Grammy wins and/or nominations.

I don't know if other artists do that same thing, if they do I don't pay that much attention. Just seems a little fishy to me, and I am thinking that the other artists notice it, too.

Also, one more thing, not to rag TOO much on Larry Mullen Jr, after all, he's the one that started this whole train ride. But would it kill him to smile every now and then for a picture? Dude, you are in one of the biggest bands in the world and are basically responsible for starting it! You have a LOT to be happy about! It's ok to show it!!

gman said:
But i do think that they could easily break from the more predictable venues once in a while. Doesnt have to be stadiums etc they play. Up to the promoters to be more imaginative i think.

Yeah, I think that's key. The promoters are qualified to make decisions regarding venues.

Pet Peeves of my Favorite Rock Band.

1>. Bono's Charities and the time consumed that I believe has watered down the lyrics and the sound of U2. Bono should remember that he has a pulpit to stand and fight for these charities BEACAUSE he is/was in the greatest rock band of our time.

2>. Also some of the things that Bono says, for example, "I'm going to step back from the charity work and focus more on the Band - I want to serve these men". I wonder how much time he's really putting in on this hiatus. I see pictures of him all over the world and at speeches and stuff but not much is said how much time Bono is putting into song writing. He needs to put up or shut up!!!! I think in many ways the next U2 album will be crucial to a lot of long time fans, like myself.

3>. Enough of the sermonizing at the shows - tone it down a bit. You can still make a political statement without 30 minute speeches and such as they say. sometimes less is more.

4>. Stop trying to make music that the first thought of the Band is "Will this be our next number one hit?" Grow the balls back and unleash The Edge again.

5>. Next Producer Rick Rubin - Eno/Lanois are still great but the music is starting to turn a bit bland.

*steps off of soapbox and qiuetly walks away*

Most annoying u2 thing? People bashing bono's charity work all the time.(someone had to say it..:reject: ) His hearts in the right place, he is making an impact on things, and hes in a band. You gotta hand it to him, thats hard work. Rather him than me!

gman said:
I think you would find that any band would play their hometown more probably than any other single venue!

Actually, it surprises me how little U2 plays Ireland, especially outside Dublin. At the moment, Dublin does hold the record for most concerts, but that is largely in part due to the fact most pre-Boy shows were in the Dublin area. Here's how many times they have played Ireland per European leg since UF (shows are in Dublin unless brackets indicate otherwise):

UF 1st European leg: 0
UF 2nd European leg: 0
UF European Festivals leg: 1 (non-festival in Dublin)
JT European leg: 4 (2 in Dublin; 1 in Belfast; 1 in Cork)
Lovetown European leg: 4
ZooTV European arenas leg: 0
ZooTV European stadiums leg: 3 (2 Dublin, 1 Cork)
Popmart European leg: 3 (2 Dublin, 1 Belfast)
Elevation European leg: 2 (the Slane gigs)
Vertigo European leg: 3
(Disclaimer: as much as I think that's right, I did do it off the top of my head so there might be mistakes.)

That to me seems to indicate their last decent tour in Ireland was the JT European leg, and the stats for UF and ZooTV are particularly odd with those zeros. I don't think there's any doubt today that they'd sell out shows scheduled in Cork, Belfast, or extras in Dublin. The above figures are, to me, surprisingly low.

jmccuanu2 said:

I don't know if other artists do that same thing, if they do I don't pay that much attention. Just seems a little fishy to me, and I am thinking that the other artists notice it, too.

It pretty much goes hand in hand with artist who release around Christmas time, and yes a lot of artists do that...

Axver...............let us not forget that the whole Republic of Ireland has a population of under 4 million. Its all relative when taking facts and figures into consideration. 2 nights at Slane in Elevation tour was seen by 160 000 ppl. Thats a lot more than have got the chance to see u2 in scotland over their last 4 Scottish dates spanning 3 Tours!
Also Belfast isnt part of Rep of ireland. So all in all, the good people of Rep of Ireland always fairs reasonably well on U2 tours.

Last edited:
gman said:
Axver...............let us not forget that the whole Republic of Ireland has a population of under 4 million. Its all relative when taking facts and figures into consideration. 2 nights at Slane in Elevation tour was seen by 160 000 ppl. Thats a lot more than have got the chance to see u2 in scotland over their last 4 Scottish dates spanning 3 Tours!

Yeah, small population, but high U2 attendance, and you have to consider the fact very large numbers of people will travel from overseas to see U2 in Ireland. I believe the promoters themselves said they could've sold out 1-2 weeks' worth of shows at Croke Park this tour.

I think U2 could easily play Belfast, Cork, and then 2-3x Dublin each tour. They did it on JT and they're more popular now ...

I know wat yer saying Axver, But where do you draw the line? Am sure U2 could land a stint at las vegas for long enough if they wanted. They gotta whole heap of places that they could play prob weeks at night after night.

jacobus said:
most annoying U2 thing?
boners ridiculous statements (punk rock etc...) prior to every release.

TOTALLY AGREE MY FRIEND :yes:

Also don't forget "Our best album ever", "Back To our Roots", "Best Collection of Songs ever written" and all that s*** :lol:

:wave:

ponkine said:

TOTALLY AGREE MY FRIEND :yes:

Also don't forget "Our best album ever", "Back To our Roots", "Best Collection of Songs ever written" and all that s*** :lol:

:wave:

Many many U2 fans would consider those statements true, however. Just because you hate the 2000's U2 doesn't mean it's of any lesser quality than their previous work. Maybe the band does feel HTDAAB is their strongest album ever and maybe they don't. Either way, some fans will still believe it and there's nothing wrong with that.

3. Not enough live albums.

haha...you DON'T want to see my hard drive collection in my Safe Deposit box at work...

I must be an acrobat to talk like this//

Lancemc said:

Many many U2 fans would consider those statements true, however. Just because you hate the 2000's U2 doesn't mean it's of any lesser quality than their previous work. Maybe the band does feel HTDAAB is their strongest album ever and maybe they don't. Either way, some fans will still believe it and there's nothing wrong with that.

Thank God for sanity. :|

don't know why, but who of you admins has censored part of my post where i wrote that one of the most annoying U2 thing is boners imo hypocritical CoExIst thingy on stage.

is this the american way handling freedom of opinion ???:eyebrow:

jacobus said:
don't know why, but who of you admins has censored part of my post where i wrote that one of the most annoying U2 thing is boners imo hypocritical CoExIst thingy on stage.

If someone had edited your post, it would say 'Edited by [screen name of editor]'.

And yeah, how is Bono's coexist thing hypocritical? :huh:

Axver wrote: And yeah, how is Bono's coexist thing hypocritical?
AtomicBono wrote: uh...how is Coexist hypocritical??
alright i undo the term hypocritical. but i can't stand this CoExIst part on the vertigo tour. the better word would be pathetic. as he is more of a politician or an activist now, maybe its the right way to transform some basic human ideas to a major crowd.

Originally posted by jacobus: most annoyin U2 thing:
boners
BonoVoxSuperstar wrote:Did I mention fans?
@BonoVoxSuperstar: you don't like BONOS nickname? lots of U2 fans here in central-europe use that nickname. its quite funny:sexywink:

Last edited:
to each his own.

personally, I think religious tolerance is the best thing anyone can be preaching right now. have you looked around the world recently?

AtomicBono wrote: ...have you looked around the world recently?
i look around the world every day and what i see is alot of desaster. i deeply wish, we all can live together in peace...but there are some bad powers out in certain parts of the globe who fuel gasoline into the fire to keep bad things goin... yes my friend there is definetly too much bombing all around... so dream your dream and believe in the CoExIst.
like you see its not possible in the global way, but i think its possible in each own small world

jacobus said:
alright i undo the term hypocritical. but i can't stand this CoExIst part on the vertigo tour. the better word would be pathetic. as he is more of a politician or an activist now, maybe its the right way to transform some basic human ideas to a major crowd.

This makes absolutely no sense...:confused:

jacobus said:

@BonoVoxSuperstar: you don't like BONOS nickname? its quite funny:sexywink:

No, not really.

jacobus said:

No one "censored" anything. We don't go around randomly editing out parts of posts. If someone had done so, a note would show up in the post, as Axver said. I saw when you first posted in here and didn't see anything about Bono's "hypocritical CoExIst thingy".

jacobus said:
i look around the world every day and what i see is alot of desaster. i deeply wish, we all can live together in peace...but there are some bad powers out in certain parts of the globe who fuel gasoline into the fire to keep bad things goin... yes my friend there is definetly too much bombing all around... so dream your dream and believe in the CoExIst.
like you see its not possible in the global way, but i think its possible in each own small world

But that's the problem - everyone does exist in his/her own little world.

For centuries, this worked. Wars were fought over land and sea. But as time progressed, the wars became over ideas and religions.

In our modern world, little private worlds almost don't exist. If we cannot find a way to happily coexist, we will cease to exist. Of course, a lot of that is starting right at one's home - from tolerance of alternative lifestyles, differing political views and ideas of what a "family" is. More kindness towards children and animals is needed. Less focus on the self.

But I guess for someone like you, that message is lost. Far better to be annoyed with Bono's efforts of trying to make a difference and just accept the way things are. Yep. That works great.

Screwtape2 said:
Gavin Friday. Why does he have to pop up in every book about U2 or Bono? Is he like the guys on Entourage?
Seriously, who the hell is this guy?

A musician Bono hangs around with. He "helps out" during the tours and stuff. :|

Back
Top Bottom