More photos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Anton Corbijn says the recent photos he did with U2 in London for the
new album will need to be retaken somewhere else. In a message on his
web site dated last Wednesday, Dec. 17th, Corbijn writes:

"i did new photos with U2 but need to do some more - we worked in
london this time which we had never done before but maybe it wasn't the
right place in the end."

Corbijn also writes about joining Bono and Edge in South Africa late
last month for the 46664 concert, and getting to meet and photograph
Nelson Mandela.

Courtesy atu2

What conclusions can we draw from this news? Hmmmmmmmm AT present I cannot think of anything.

Anton please keep working on your U2 book I'll buy a whole bunch I promise!

Well I don't think that would necessarily delay the rumored Spring 2004 release.

I didn't mean a delay I am actually very curious to see what the album sleeve will look like I was just being cheeky since people have posted a variety of news items/rumors and people have been dissecting them.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
just gimmie an album... put a picture of paul mcguinness on it for all i care

exactly!

and the fact that the photos for the sleeve aren't even done yet makes me believe that we'll be waiting past March. maybe we'll see some new Pearl Jam or Radiohead before that. it takes them half the time to release amazing albums.

Don't waste time with pictures. Just whack in a black sleeve with "U2" written in bright yellow on it and I'll be happy.

In fact, just give us a CD. Put it in a clear plastic sleeve. Just as long as we have a CD and soon!

I think there are about 1,000,000 different reasons why U2 would delay releasing an album

and all of them would have to do with them not being satisfied with how it sounds

Corbijn could do 50 more photo shoots and they'd still have the artwork done before the music

I'll start worrying if there's no single/album news by the end of January

How does anyone figure that music is not done if they're doing some more of the artwork for the album?

Last edited:
I don't know

but why would anyone think an album is 100% finished just because they started on photo shoots for the artwork?

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You people are way too negative...you can't see God, but I bet some of you believe in him/her.

I can't see or hear this album, but I'm confident it is being readied for a March release.

:yes: Amen

If it took Corbijn and U2 until the end of January to take, decide and finalize the CD artwork, they could give it to the label, with the mastered album and it could be out by April or maybe May.

Then again, if Corbijn updated his webpage in 2 weeks and said "we are still working on the U2 artwork" there would be people on this board saying that the album won't come out until fall.

People don't think the band is 100% done with the album, they think the band is done recording the album because Bono and Adam said it was finished a few weeks ago. It was mentioned in at least 3 seperate articles, and it was reported firsthand on the PLEBA forum, check it out for yourself.

The HARDEST part of the process is recording the material. Apparently, they are done with that part.

How complicated do you think taking photos is? It could be accomplished in a matter of hours, or at the most a week. Considering they probably already have some to work with (from London) then it could take them just as long to deal with the artwork as it does for the engineers to mix and master the album.

In fact, artwork is the most simple of the remaining processes that stand between us fans and an actual announcement of a release date.

Look at it this way. In order for Corbijn to begin work on the artwork (as he's stated on more than one occasion) he has to know a theme and prospects for what the album might be titled or else he wouldn't know what to shoot. This is the first clue that the band were done or nearly done, when they first shot in London. All this means is that they didn't like how it turned out.

They had to have known the theme for the ATYCLB shoots when they went to France to shoot in the airport.

I'll do some homework and see if I can find when U2 and Anton Corbijn went to France to shoot in 2000 and look at the realtionship between that time period and when the album and singles came out in 2000. If memory serves me they did it in July 2000, but I will verify.

It might be April, or maybe May (doubtful) instead of March. But that's that big of a deal when we've been waiting this long.

Salome said:
I don't know

but why would anyone think an album is 100% finished just because they started on photo shoots for the artwork?

Well they did say they're done recording and I really think they could do the mixing and mastering till March/Spring 2004. (unless, of course, we're officially told otherwise)

I'm guessing they record the songs - and have the theme of the album - first before they do any of the artwork, IMO a part of the finishing touches for an album.

MTV Europe's newsletter that I got in my inbox today mentions anticipated albums of 2004 and it states that U2's next album is due in February. :shrug:

yeah

I believe it will be released this spring

what I was trying to say is that I don't think it will be delayed because of the artwork
they're probably still fine tuning the album itself

mikal said:

exactly!

and the fact that the photos for the sleeve aren't even done yet makes me believe that we'll be waiting past March. maybe we'll see some new Pearl Jam or Radiohead before that. it takes them half the time to release amazing albums.

This is a silly thing to say. Think about it... in U2's first 10 years they released 6 full length albums.

For Pearl Jam, it was the same:
1991 Ten
1993 Vs.
1994 Vitalogy
1996 No Code
1998 Yield
2000 Binaural

For Radiohead, it was the same:
1993 Pablo Honey
1995 The Bends
1997 OK Computer
2000 Kid A
2001 Amnesiac
2003 Hail to the Theif

All bands release more in their earlier years... If in 10 years, PJ and Radiohead are still crankin' them out at this rate, then you'll have a very valid arguement, but until then, it's apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom