more on u2 being greedy bastards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2bonogirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Back on the blue crack after a long break
i read a lot of posts from the original post about u2 peaking and all of that. im one of those freak pleba girls who frigging worships the ground any of the band even looks at so maybe my opinion doesnt matter. BUT, who is to say theyve peaked when the album hasnt even come out yet?
and why do they have to be ridiculed for wanting to make money?
bob dylan is doing UNDERWEAR commercials for petes feckin sake!
i love that u2 has done what they want in their albums instead of just going by a formula. the albums show their heart and soul and its so beautiful:(
who else but u2 lifts you to that place where even when youre miserable you can still feel okay about it?
ive never even been able to see a concert because of money and that kind of stuff but im sure if i did i would be even more hooked on the music (if thats humanly possible ;))
uh huh, blah blah.
as for me and my house: we will rock to u2!
the new single saved me from a panic attack too by the way. i got in a big car crash yesterday and i was laying on the ground. my phone rang in my pocket and when i answered my boyfriend who i just had to say goodbye to for a year was playing it to me over the phone.
thank you u2 for lighting a fire in me that never would have been lit otherwise

I notice that bands sometimes get fans who feel such an attachment to them that when the band doesn't meet their (the fans) expectations in any way, it's completely devastating. And sometimes people go from worshipping a band to attacking them as greedy bastards/sellouts/washed up/whatever.

I notice a feeling of "ownership" in many people who do this. They have this "I liked you before you got popular! How dare you make an album I don't like!" attitude going. It's as if the band owes them extra for being a fan from "way back."

My feeling is a band owes their fans the best they can give at the time and that's it. Not everyone is going to like everything, but that's ok too.

i agree totally. its THEIR music and they play to- yes- make money but still. why play if you cant play what you want?
how could they ever let me down? i choose to love them and their music because its the best thing i ever heard. if i dont like something i dont have to get all pissy and grump about it

Poseurs as opposed to fans. It is always the poseurs that become jaded and harsh while people who actually enjoy the music get to have all the fun.

I can understand the disappointment with not really caring for the new work of a favorite band, I adored U2 in the 80's but the newer stuff just doesn't do it for me. But you know, that happens. Their style went in one direction and my musical interests went in another. That doesn't mean I hate them or am angry with them. And I still adore the earlier work.

It would be weird, however, if I was angry at them for not being someone they aren't. Everyone changes, which is great. If you don't change and grow, what is the point of living? Same applies to music and musicians.

i would be bored if a band stayed the same all the time. and one of the things i love about u2 is that they sound different from everyone and yet they can sound different than themselves too.
theres just something that drives me to their music, it has to be the soul and passion in all of it. plus the chemistry i would imagine

u2bonogirl said:
but is it totally obsessive of me that i feel so defensive of the band when people say mean things? i hope im not being possessive but its almost like a mean crack at my family

I'm a huge fan of another band, and I've actually gotten to know one of the members a little bit. It hurts to hear and see mean things said about him, or to read bad reviews of his work, in part because I know they will hurt him too. But, you know, it's part of the business and he knows there are many people who do love him and the band. I think the best thing you can do is be the fan you are...they (band members) know who their real fans are.

The musician I know told another friend that he was amazed at the people who would come up to him and be gushing all over him telling him how much they loved everything etc etc. And he told her "I'm thinking. I know who you are! I read what you said!" because so many of these people ripped the new album to shreds, but when they had a chance to meet him they were all lovey dovey. Hilarious!! (This guy loves to read the forum for fans of his band...he's hooked on it!)

if i was a rocker i would read the forums too i think, just to know what people are thinking. being here i think we represent a good variety of u2 fans. like casual to the more freakos like me. im thrilled to bits that edge has been so interested in this website too!
on the topic of being protective of your favorite bands, i did something kinda stupid once.
this guy i used to work with was twirking my nerves one day and trying to make me mad on purpose. after an hour of his constant pokes at u2 and my boyfriend he sent me over the edge with a comment about bono being gay or something and i beat the crap out of him. like bad. im a girl, and i just beat this guy up for saying bono was gay. isnt it obvious hes not? i felt stupid afterwards but i think it was a buildup of stress.
besides he never said anything mean again!

u2bonogirl said:

hehe, yeah just that.
i hope thats the last time i have to be violent because of such a peaceful band though:huh:
imagine the band witnessing THAT spectacle. sweet mother of god

I'm sure there are some people who would have paid to have seen that!

And yeah, the musician I told you about does say he loves being able to get fan reactions so quickly now. Prior to the internet (he's been around a while) he says he never really knew what real people thought about an album until months or even longer after an album's release. I imagine loads of musicians feel the same way.

IWasBored said:

those creep me out so much.

True. But it's kinda cool that he did say years ago that if he ever allowed his music to be used on a commercial it would be for womens underwear. Creepy, yeah, but funny too.

it's just that they show his face...in the middle of all sorts of underwear.

Queen Bee said:

I had completely forgotten about those commercials until now. :yikes:

They aren't so bad if you can avert your eyes. :wink:

I'm fascinated by the VS ads - Dylan slinking aorund, looking like the devil - can't say it inspired my last purchase but its a fun commerical because it just really isn't right:wink: That being said Dylan DID say that if he was ever going to do a commerical if would be for ladies undergarmets

Back to U2 - I like the path that they follow - even during Pop when U2 sounded "un-U2" (opposed to the sound of the 80s) the feeling was still there - I just happen to like the ride U2 is on - I think sticking around to see what new path they are taking is half the fun - due to u2's changes - I've been exposed to music that I most certainly would have never listened to before

I don't understand how, if you dislike a certain song or album by the band that makes you a "poseur" and not a real fan.

I used to be a "freak-o" fan as well...but now I don't see the point. Their not God's, they're not infallible; they make music. They've been making music for over 20 years and the amount of amazing material they've made in that time has been really incredible, but still they can be subject to criticism...even harsh criticism. a band of their size has to expect that. And fans shouldn't get all huffy puffy over it, like they're defenders of the sacred flame or something.

I just really hopeful that this album will be another favorite to me.

I think there's a world of difference between saying that you don't like a certain song and declaring that a band has "past its prime". Look at some of the threads in this forum. There's declarations of how U2 are past their creative peak and how "Vertigo" sucks and how U2 are greedy. These comments are downright insulting. If one doesn't like "Vertigo", that's fine. If the song isn't innovative enough for you, I can accept that. If the song is too reminiscent of "Boy" and that bugs you, O.K. I disagree with these comments, but I can respect them. However, to declare U2 is creatively dry is not only incorrect, but disparaging and ridiculously subjective.

For example, I am not a huge fan of JT. That said, I still believe it to be the best album of 1987 and one of the best of the 80's. However, I don't believe it is U2's best. This isn't the post to discuss why I feel this, but I can elaborate my views without debasing U2. I feel no need to call U2 "sell-outs" because of JT or ATYCLB or any other work.

What I find most amusing is when U2 really did change their sound and style, there are plenty of so-called fans who still felt the need to call U2 "sell-outs" (like with AB). This notion is so inane that it boggles my mind. It's as if these "fans" don't even know the meaning of "sell-out".

But the biggest thing we have to remember is that ALL professional artists want to sell their work. They want to share it with the world. Does this make every single artist a "sell-out"?

Bottom line: it's fine to not like an aspect of an artist, but one should keep some courtesy and open-mindedness in presenting views.

I just find it amazing when people tend to make band members into something like a doll. They are real, true, living and breathing people who were gracious enough to share THEIR music with US. I can understand being a little starstruck but when people start to get to the point where they feel like because they paid for a ticket that means that U2 should be dancing/singing for them and satisfying thier whims....makes me a wee bit heated under the collar.

i think i would dance sing and do whatever for THEM!! they are such wonderful people, and so kind to the fans that i think we owe them more than they could ever owe us. all i expect from them is to release their work so i can listen to it, and to keep acting like themselves. even when dressed in cabaret clothes and devil horns:wink:

Basstrap said:
I don't understand how, if you dislike a certain song or album by the band that makes you a "poseur" and not a real fan.

I used to be a "freak-o" fan as well...but now I don't see the point. Their not God's, they're not infallible; they make music. They've been making music for over 20 years and the amount of amazing material they've made in that time has been really incredible, but still they can be subject to criticism...even harsh criticism. a band of their size has to expect that. And fans shouldn't get all huffy puffy over it, like they're defenders of the sacred flame or something.

I just really hopeful that this album will be another favorite to me.

There's a difference between critisism and bashing, and knocking on the band does not make one a "real" fan.

I don't see how some defenders act like a certiain album is the holy Grail of U2's work, and get huffy puffy whenever there is an opinion it may not be all that.

I'm sure everyone of us could find a U2 album that we don't like, but if the forum would be filled with "I hate this U2 album" posts it wouldn't make much sense and most of threads would get closed.
Doesn't the fact that we all like their music bring us here, and not the fact that we like some albums more than others? Why nitpick when we can find common points?

Last edited:
What u2ulysses, starsgoblue and U2bonogirl said!

But it really is true that bullies feed off reaction and folks showing they're being bothered..I see it on the playground all the time.
I love my son, admire him so. From the time he was 4 he saw this, cried in private about how shitty the world can be, stood up to those who picked on the weak, and ignored the ones who were just out to get a rise or had some serious emotional disturbance issues...

btw, I am soo tickled by your siggie quote U2Bonogirl, it's too funny! I presume that was Bono speaking...maybe I have very sensitive nasal glands as well, cause just those words make me feel a little queasy...

cheers all!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom