more on Achtung Baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zooroper said:

Oh Pl-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't star with that lame excuse!

That statement is SO SHALLOW that I don't even wanna comment on that!

Well...looks like all the ZOO TV & PoPMart Fans are into lights, big screens, big lemons & arches & hunged cars.....yea right.

David Bowie - LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!! Mr. Bowie - you're such an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssss! :madspit:

AB is sooooooooooooooooooooo style over substance.

If the AB era is to be evaluated purely on its music you would see that it's heavly weighed down with some awful, commercial, bland songs:

MW,
WGRYWH,
UV,
TTTYAATW

Which is a shame because One, So Cruel and UTEOTW are truely great.

Let's face it, U2 bottled it, worried that the album would have no commercial appeal. The result is a mess IMO.

Then again who cares, Bono looked cool in his shades.......

zooroper said:
that's what i'm saying...JT sounds like the end of the 80's.

AB dosen't! it sounds like out of time.

Although the JT lovers will probably disagree, I'm sure you're right on this one, and that's why AB has, and always will win the JT v AB debate.

Ellay said:

Although the JT lovers will probably disagree, I'm sure you're right on this one, and that's why AB has, and always will win the JT v AB debate.

Joshua Tree sounds like the end of the 80's because it's a landmark album that defined the end of the 80's, just as Sgt Pepper defines the late 60's.

AB has aged as much as TJT IMO, but without the cultural influence...

roy said:

AB is sooooooooooooooooooooo style over substance.

If the AB era is to be evaluated purely on its music you would see that it's heavly weighed down with some awful, commercial, bland songs:

MW,
WGRYWH,
UV,
TTTYAATW

Which is a shame because One, So Cruel and UTEOTW are truely great.

Let's face it, U2 bottled it, worried that the album would have no commercial appeal. The result is a mess IMO.

Then again who cares, Bono looked cool in his shades.......

You think Mysterious Ways is a bland song??????????

That's one of the sexiest, grooviest, rocking songs U2 has ever done. So what if it was a huge commercial hit? It's in my top 5 all-time U2 songs.

Wildhit said:

You think Mysterious Ways is a bland song??????????

That's one of the sexiest, grooviest, rocking songs U2 has ever done. So what if it was a huge commercial hit? It's in my top 5 all-time U2 songs.

MW always sounds to me like U2's lame attempt to belatedly jump onto the dance bandwagon that was happening in Britain in the early 90's.

U2 took the bandwagon upgraded it to a trabant and the rest is history as they say

roy said:

MW always sounds to me like U2's lame attempt to belatedly jump onto the dance bandwagon that was happening in Britain in the early 90's.

AB thematically is the album that holds together best. The unifying themes of faithfulness, temptation, guilt and redemption pervade the entire album -- every song, including MW. The style actually masks the substance -- as Bono said in an interview right before the album came out, "this is a heavy mother." The songs you pointed out -- MW, Who's Gonna, Tryin' to Throw, UltraViolet -- all wrestle with the issues raised in the other songs. Tryin' to Throw is probably the best symbol of Bono during that period -- trying to see how far he could go before he lost his way back home.

I think substance-wise it supercedes anything they've done since (and don't get me wrong, I really like what they've done since!).

nathan1977 said:

AB thematically is the album that holds together best.

If we're talking in terms of 'concept albums' then lyrically AB is the most consistent.

However, musically, it's all over the place. It doesn't know if it is industrial, pop, dance, ballad.....a mess.

roy said:

If we're talking in terms of 'concept albums' then lyrically AB is the most consistent.

However, musically, it's all over the place. It doesn't know if it is industrial, pop, dance, ballad.....a mess.

Ok, can we all just accept that this is YOUR opinion, and it is not shared by most, and move on.

I agree...but that mess is masterfully melted into one part! The track order is brillyant!

zooroper said:

I agree...but that mess is masterfully melted into one part! The track order is brillyant!

Interesting.....

If I may be so bold...why do you think the EBTTRT, One and UTEOTW track order works so brilliantly?

In fact I'll ask the same question of So Cruel, The Fly & MW....

To me these track listing don't work at all.

I dunno man! It just flows! From ZOO Station to LIB.

from the Dance/Rocking "real thing" -> calms you down with heart-broken "one" > and then starts the sky-rocketing (hart-breaking also) UTEOTW.

zooroper said:
I dunno man! It just flows! From ZOO Station to LIB.

from the Dance/Rocking "real thing" -> calms you down with heart-broken "one" > and then starts the sky-rocketing (hart-breaking also) UTEOTW.

ok....

roy said:

Interesting.....

If I may be so bold...why do you think the EBTTRT, One and UTEOTW track order works so brilliantly?

In fact I'll ask the same question of So Cruel, The Fly & MW....

To me these track listing don't work at all.

See my posts on pages 2 and 4 of the Survivor thread to answer your questions about the flow of the album. The order of the songs on Achtung Baby is brilliant. The entire album tells a story.

miss becky said:

See my posts on pages 2 and 4 of the Survivor thread to answer your questions about the flow of the album. The order of the songs on Achtung Baby is brilliant. The entire album tells a story.

I have already seen your posts. I have already stated that lyrically AB is a concept album. I was talking about the actual music, which completely jars...

roy said:

I have already seen your posts. I have already stated that lyrically AB is a concept album. I was talking about the actual music, which completely jars...

:shrug: See, I have no problem with that. To me the music tells the story as much as the lyrics. The music is echoing life, with its ups and downs, its high points and the times when we hate everyone in the world, including the person we are supposed to love.

I can't think of another way the tracks could be arranged, that would not kill the emotional ride that the album takes us on.

Achtung Baby is way overrated. If you're talking concept albums and futuristic album that will never sound dated, then look no further than Zooropa which is the most underrated album of U2 ever. I'd still rank Achtung higher than Zooropa because it has a lot of listenable pop music in it which makes it much much more acessible, but if you are talking conceptual, innovative, and creative - I think Zooropa has more of that than Acthung. And if you want to talk about U2's peak then you have the Joshua Tree.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

Axver said:

I won't even dignify your trolling posts with any reply besides to state your wild allegations against U2's character are nothing short of lies. Seen Larry's letter on U2.com? His ending was directed to people such as yourself.

Allegations? Did these things not happen? As for Larry, I have more than two words for him...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

U2girl said:
Then what did you think when ticket prices went up on Zoo TV, when they were charging 20 USD for Propaganda fan-club, charging for the tour merchandise? (you do know it was the T-shirts that saved Zoo TV from loss?)Who do you think payed for the tour airplane and the TV station they used, or the new clothes and image, and the shades, and all the screens and tech wizardry they used?

I thought that was fine. U2 weren't gouging their fanbase like they are now. Things were affordable back then...

Originally posted by U2girl And what did you think when they released an album, a book and a movie in 1988?

I thought, cool...U2's coming out with a book, album & movie! What's your point?

Originally posted by U2girl When their tour promoter guaranteed them 100 million dollars on Popmart, no matter how well the shows would do?

Let's not pretend that U2 wasn't interested in making money till 2000.

Let's not pretend they weren't gouging at that point in time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

NoControl said:

Allegations? Did these things not happen? As for Larry, I have more than two words for him...

U2 are only thieves and criminals coming to steal money off fans in your mind. I think you're stepping into delusions here. U2 are amongst the richest men in Ireland, one of the richest countries per capita in the world. They don't need any wealth, and they certainly have no motives whatsoever to milk fans for every penny they can. In the eighties and nineties, they did not show a greedy side, and now that they are set for life, they aren't about to develop one.

Get over your hate for post-Pop U2 and stop trolling the forums with your anti-U2 slander. Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

Axver said:

U2 are only thieves and criminals coming to steal money off fans in your mind. I think you're stepping into delusions here. U2 are amongst the richest men in Ireland, one of the richest countries per capita in the world. They don't need any wealth, and they certainly have no motives whatsoever to milk fans for every penny they can. In the eighties and nineties, they did not show a greedy side, and now that they are set for life, they aren't about to develop one.

Get over your hate for post-Pop U2 and stop trolling the forums with your anti-U2 slander. Thank you.

That's not true. There are many more who feel that way. But if you'd like to think that, then whatever makes you feel good.

You know, if U2 truely cared about their fans and not greed, then they'd book a full Stadium tour in North America and charge between $45-$65. That way, they'd still do good business selling out or filling most of the shows and just about everyone who would want to go and see them live would get to do so. But instead (apart from the recent things they've done), they've decided to charge up to $171 for tickets on this tour and $130 for the Elevation tour in 2001. And there's no need to tell me and hence go over how many seats in each arena are sold at $50, $95-100 & $160-171 this year, I know.

Absolutely amazing.

Btw, I guess your definition of a troll is someone with an open mind, someone who's critical of U2 & someone who doesn't kiss U2's ass?

Denial's a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

NoControl said:

I thought that was fine. U2 weren't gouging their fanbase like they are now. Things were affordable back then...

I thought, cool...U2's coming out with a book, album & movie! What's your point?

Let's not pretend they weren't gouging at that point in time.

LOL, and they somehow didn't need all that prior 1991.

My point is that was squeezing out the money as much as possible because they were popular.

Not really. 40 USD isn't that much, nor is 59 USD for the cheapest ticket. Prices for Vienna on this tour here (ticket and bus ride) are virtually the same as Elevation, a bit cheaper actually but with the inflation maybe that evens out.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: more on Achtung Baby!

U2girl said:
LOL, and they somehow didn't need all that prior 1991.

I've never claimed that they didn't need money - everyone does to an extent. I'm talking about gouging and ripping off your fanbase. Big fucking difference.

Originally posted by U2girl My point is that was squeezing out the money as much as possible because they were popular.

I don't see how releasing those things would constitute that?

Originally posted by U2girl Not really. 40 USD isn't that much, nor is 59 USD for the cheapest ticket. Prices for Vienna on this tour here (ticket and bus ride) are virtually the same as Elevation, a bit cheaper actually but with the inflation maybe that evens out.

Now what are you getting at? You're apparently agreeing with me in your first sentence, then disagreeing with me in your second sentence?

You think they don't need the money now, with several kids they didn't have during Zoo TV time? There is no difference, it's just about how much you're willing to pay.

How would it not constitute that? That was an assault on the audiences unlike anything they've ever done since.

Not really. I am not agreeing with you. I don't think 40 USD is that much, nor 59 USD. Prices for Vienna on the previous and this tour are virtually the same, so I do not think I am being ripped off.

jick said:
Achtung Baby is way overrated. If you're talking concept albums and futuristic album that will never sound dated, then look no further than Zooropa which is the most underrated album of U2 ever. I'd still rank Achtung higher than Zooropa because it has a lot of listenable pop music in it which makes it much much more acessible, but if you are talking conceptual, innovative, and creative - I think Zooropa has more of that than Acthung. And if you want to talk about U2's peak then you have the Joshua Tree.

Cheers,

J

Sorry Jick, Zooropa is underrated but Achtung is indeed the peak, The Joshua Tree is probably the best record of the eighties though

Achtung is better than Zooropa only because it set the ground for her. Actung is the overall peak of U2. Zooropa is the artistic peak.

U2girl said:
You think they don't need the money now, with several kids they didn't have during Zoo TV time? There is no difference, it's just about how much you're willing to pay.

U2 have hundreds of millions of dollars. You have to be fucking joking? :lol: So, the cost of raising children is millions of dollars? :lol:
ROTFLMFAO Shit, I'm not a millionaire. I guess I won't be able to afford kids then!? :lol:

Originally posted by U2girl How would it not constitute that? That was an assault on the audiences unlike anything they've ever done since.

They weren't gouging then.

Originally posted by U2girl Not really. I am not agreeing with you. I don't think 40 USD is that much, nor 59 USD. Prices for Vienna on the previous and this tour are virtually the same, so I do not think I am being ripped off.

Ok, U2 are playing Stadium shows in Europe this year. Because they're much more popular there. For the vast majority of the time, you can't charge Arena prices for Stadium shows. I'm assuming the prices you listed above are this year's Vienna show prices?

U2 didn't have kids and were not married during Zoo TV. Yes I would say having 3 (Larry) or 4 (Bono) or 5 (Edge) children affects the family budget. That tour didn't make as much money as Popmart or Elevation.
Kids schooling/clothes/more food etc... for more family members, cars/houses/apartments maintenance, nannies, limo driver, security, plane 1st class tickets...cost money. 1/5 of that money goes to McGuiness, and all the employees of U2's organisation must be payed too. BTW, I remember seeing an article in 2002 about U2 Limited reporting loss.

OK, whatever you say.

You're assuming wrong. 40 USD is the u2.com membership, and 59 USD is the lowest US show price. Wanna know how much Vienna ticket plus a bus ride is? 125 USD this year. I hope you've also seen UK top prices before you complain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom