More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm enjoying the silence. Anticipation of when/what U2 might release is better without the fecking beach clips and the fecking Bonoisms. It's pretty much guaranteed we'll get an album within the next four months, so I can't understand why so many fans are getting so antzy. Chillax, brahs :lol:

I'm enjoying the silence. Anticipation of when/what U2 might release is better without the fecking beach clips and the fecking Bonoisms. It's pretty much guaranteed we'll get an album within the next four months, so I can't understand why so many fans are getting so antzy. Chillax, brahs :lol:

:up:

Same here!

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/merged-i-give-you-vertigo-vertigo-is-here-97011.html

I have it saved for a reason. Please, entertain yourselves by reading it. :wink:

Ax's quotes are still my favourites! :lol:

Thanks Galeongirl, I actually enjoy this place the most when people go crazy!

So, if they follow the same old routine, we will hear the single in late September and the album will be released almost exactly two months later. For many years they've had a big release on Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Maybe not in the last couple of years... Sometimes new studio album, DVD or Boxset.

They might do that again. I've always thought it would be great, though, if they surprised us and dropped the whole album on the internet. People could choose the album or the single. Great shock effect. They could still do the promo tour and then release a second single in Thanksgiving week with some awesome bonus material. :drool:

They should go stealth this time, although I'd love some beach clips...

ATYCLB, HTDAAB and NLOTH were all announced ~2 months and a half in advance, right? If the album will be out mid-October, which isn't very unlikely, we should be getting an official announcement within the next week or so.

By the way, have they ever released a single just out of the blue, prior to announcing the album? (This is the first U2 album release for me!) :hyper:

U2.com (yeah, I know) announced No Line on Jan 14, 2009.

U2 > News > 'No Line On The Horizon'

I just did a quick Google search and it seems many magazines announced it on December 18/19:

Billboard: U2 Looks Toward New 'Horizon' | Billboard

Pitchfork: U2 Announce New Album Title, Release Date | News | Pitchfork

The Independent: U2 announce date for album release - New Articles - The Independent

Telegraph: U2 announce February release date for new album - Telegraph

It seems the tracklist and the artwork weren't unveiled until mid-January, though. I wasn't here when it happened, though, so it's very likely I'm wrong. :sexywink:

Even if there is a teleprompter, it only does any good if Bono is stationed at his mic stand. He tends to stray away from it quite a bit (unless he's "playing" guitar).

There are pros and cons of the teleprompter. The cons are obviously the integrity and the sad fact that he doesn't trust himself to know his own lyrics. However, with a teleprompter, they can put up the lyrics of any song if they ever feel like pulling out a rare track.

It is interesting about him flubbing the lyrics to the warhorses. There's a difference between changing/improvising a line and totally forgetting the lyric, and Bono has done his fair share of both.

I'd say it's also about improvising and/or being in the moment live, though at 50+ he's bound to forget some lines (and as was noted he strays away from it a lot). There's also the quote about him always altering live lyrics to Bad because he feels he never finished the lyrics in the studio version.

Still remember the uproar about the dreaded Bono teleprompter at the Rock and roll hall of fame ... when, in fact, every single performer used it.

Why wouldn't they be capable of it? They just need to rehearse more.

They probably haven't done because they want to play the perfect show each time.

This. Then again, they were never a jam band live to begin with...

Also, most of their tours tend to have a theme, thus the setlist has to bend.

Then there's the visuals involved, another factor that forces them to set a setlist in stone.

The bad part isn't teleprompter per se, it's the entire band stumbling through a unrehearsed song.

I just did a quick Google search and it seems many magazines announced it on December 18/19:

digitize is right.
NLOTH was a special circumstance due to the delay.

This one only missed it by a month. SIX months before the album was released

- September 05, 2008

A band insider confirmed to Hot Press that February 2009 is now the likely launch date for the band's long-awaited follow-up to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

What have I continually said over the last few months, people?
U2 are creatures of habit. You want a date range, here you go...

VH1
August 19, 2004
By: Alyssa Rashbaum

U2's still-untitled new album now has a release date.

The Irish rockers will release their 11th studio album, produced by Steve Lillywhite, on November 23, while the first single, "Vertigo," will hit radio on September 24. A video will be released in October.

Dotmusic
August 21, 2000

U2 have revealed that their forthcoming album will be called All That You Can't Leave Behind and is released through Universal-Island in late October.

It'll be preceded by the release of a new single, "Beautiful Day," on October 9th.

Within the next 24 to 25 days we'll hear something substantial.

digitize is right.
NLOTH was a special circumstance due to the delay.

This one only missed it by a month. SIX months before the album was released

What have I continually said over the last few months, people?
U2 are creatures of habit. You want a date range, here you go...

Within the next 24 to 25 days we'll hear something substantial.

That's a convincing list. We'll know something one way or another at the end of August. Hopefully it will be good news.

@U2DMfan: thanks! I missed those articles. A mid-August announcement seems very likely.

On a side note, I did some more research on the domains registered by Universal today to see if I could find out the name of the new album and found out more than I did last time. I used a method based on trial and error, so it took me a while, but the results are definitely accurate.

These are domains that have been registered by Universal Music since May 31 (I figured they wouldn't have registered a domain for the new album's title before that):

brynterfel.com (Registered on 2013-07-12) - Nope.
vinylrevive.com (Registered on 2013-07-10) - Could be.
recordstoredaily.com (Registered on 2013-06-26) - Don't think so.
pumeza.com (Registered on 2013-06-18) - Nope.
maxmarshallmusic.com (Registered on 2013-06-07) - Nope.
trdpny.com (Registered on 2013-06-04) - Nope.
cyrilhahnmusic.com (Registered on 2013-05-31) - Nope.
thegyutomonks.com (Registered on 2013-05-31) - Nope.

I couldn't find anything about "Vinyl Revive" on Google, but it could be an album/single name. Something retro and kind of hipster-ish comes to mind. :lol:

What do you guys think? Could "Vinyl Revive" be the new album's title?

Nevermind, read post below. :sad:

tumblr_mep6sntUZu1qam9vgo1_500.gif

Sorry about that, I only googled "Vinyl revive." :doh:

If you excuse me, I'm gonna curl up into fetal position and cry.

How the side people light the stage or what they show on the video screens during a particular song, I reckon?

Well it's not as if it's one big sequence of lights and videos. If they pull something out of the bag that'd spontaneous, the lighting/video professionals can set up something simple.

The production has a very minimal, if any effect on any spontaneity. It's all U2 themselves.

Well it's not as if it's one big sequence of lights and videos. If they pull something out of the bag that'd spontaneous, the lighting/video professionals can set up something simple.

The production has a very minimal, if any effect on any spontaneity. It's all U2 themselves.

Indeed. Look at the setlists from the Unforgettable Fire tour. Maybe their 'worst' tour in terms of static setlists. PopMart would be similar. But unlike PopMart there was virtually zero production. Static setlists is all down to U2 and has little to do with production.

The static set lists are due to a combo of overly choreographed production and U2 admittedly being mediocre musicians who can't churn out any random song on a dime. Same goes for their general showmanship. Bono's entire performance, movements and mannerisms, are rehearsed. There are obviously multiple contributing factors here.

The static set lists are due to a combo of overly choreographed production and U2 admittedly being mediocre musicians who can't churn out any random song on a dime. Same goes for their general showmanship. Bono's entire performance, movements and mannerisms, are rehearsed. There are obviously multiple contributing factors here.

I disagree with all of this.

Are U2 the best musicians? While we aren't getting an artist like Springsteen and his band mates up there, I have never been disappointed at a U2 show. Edge's unique style puts him up there. And Bono's vocals also have him consistently considered one of the best vocalists ever. Adam and Larry have separately produced some brilliant bass lines or beats (this was showcased early on with NYD and SBS).

Technology does play a role. The electronics and videos are tied into a playlist. If U2 randomly does a deviation, that will cause problems or look sloppy. That said, I have enjoyed some rare treats, like the sudden performance of "Fast Cars" during the "Vertigo" tour.

While U2 aren't just a jukebox capable of playing all of their songs upon request, I can't blame them. Whenever I give a presentation, I rehearse. Two or three years later, I can't just give that same presentation without rehearsing again. Same is with U2.

Maybe some bands can just jam out, but I assure you, most of those artists that appear to "jam" are well rehearsed. Plus, U2 have "jammed" in their own way, with their extended versions of many songs - such as SBS, "Bad", WOWY, MW, "One", "Elevation", BD, etc.

I realize people like spontaneity, but that's not who this band is. U2 may have mixed things up during the Love Town tour, but really, it was a select group of songs that they simply altered each night.

The band have said that the more or less "static" setlists are due to the dramatic arch they want to convey with the show.

But I thought the 360 setlists, at least during the earlier legs, was much less static than expected.

And yes, technology (lightning, visuals, the whole "moving briges" thing etc.) does play a big part. Without that U2 SHOULD be able to be more spontaneous but they will never reach the level of Bruce Springsteen, simply because they aren't like that.

I'd be happy to have more varied setlists with songs that are properly rehearsed instead of the band stumbling trough half-rehearsed songs just because they try to be "spontaneous". U2 should try to rehearse enough songs to be able to play more varied setlists during the tour, that would be enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom