More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight or so? Ha. That song has no positive qualities. Boring music and melody and Bono-on-autopilot lyrics.

I agree on the second point of your post, in fact the "mail it in" Bono lyrics are my biggest sticking point to the song, but the base melody I really like. My minds eye brings back the intro to The Fly on Elevation, it was just kinda cool.

I'm betting after NLOTH, there will be more songs that are "live ready" this time around.

I think you hit the nail on the head. :up:

I think it'll be a 2 pronged attack:
1- The songs will be more easily reproduce-able in a live environment
2- The actual structure of at least half the songs on the album will be more conducive to getting fans involved at a show.

Think Vertigo, COBL, Pride, Elevation, etc..

The NLOTH album, although I personally love it, doesn't lend itself to the live setting. I really enjoyed the sound of Magnificent on the album, but it's too mid paced. You can't really move to it. The lyrics aren't really singable.

The song NLOTH, I can see why they cut it. I enjoy the song on record and live, but it's something people stood and watched politely clapped and hooted for.

North Star seems to be hated here by the masses but I like it, even when it was the opening reincarnation of The Fly during Elevation Tour. I think it has some redeeming qualities to it but needs to be "tweaked" a little bit. :shrug:

Good ear. I never noticed the connection between the two.

What would be really cool is if during soundchecks, they'd play live versions of deep tracks and stuff they aren't going to play during the show.

It's a captive audience- only hard hardcore's who give a shit will be listening.

I wouldn't mind hearing stuff Fez- Being Born, Acrobat, White as Snow while waiting on line.

What would be really cool is if during soundchecks, they'd play live versions of deep tracks and stuff they aren't going to play during the show.

What would be even cooler is if they played them at the shows, too. :wink:

I get your point, though. At a soundcheck, the only people who'd care enough to listen would be the ones who know Acrobat, Fez, and the likes. The same can't be said for an entire audience of 50 thousand.

The best love songs are not the happy ones!

Yet One is written about a gay son and his father. How the hell is that a love song? :crack:

North Star was great to hear live at the European gigs, but they neutered it on the US gigs already, so I've little hope for that if they ever release a studio version.

Kind of playing reverse psychology here, but I wonder what the general opinion of "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" would have been if we had all heard the live version first.

My point is that you never know what kind of landscapes a studio version "North Star" could add compared to the live demo version. I'm still willing to keep an open mind and definitely won't flip out if it makes the final tracklist. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the final version, if that ever happens.

Kind of playing reverse psychology here, but I wonder what the general opinion of "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" would have been if we had all heard the live version first.

My point is that you never know what kind of landscapes a studio version "North Star" could add compared to the live demo version. I'm still willing to keep an open mind and definitely won't flip out if it makes the final tracklist. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the final version, if that ever happens.

This is a very good point that you make about maybe adding some "landscapes" to that song and I don't feel either way too strongly if it is on final Tracklist or maybe a Bonus Song - it woudn't matter much to me. Glastonbury on the other hand.... ugh!

So will there be no news until August? That's cutting it close if they really are planning on a September release, unless it's going to be a surprise. If that's what they're doing and August ends with no news, we're all going to be on pins and needles.

Way back when during the your when a new album was shelved someone guessed October 2013. I've been sticking with that date since.

So will there be no news until August? That's cutting it close if they really are planning on a September release, unless it's going to be a surprise. If that's what they're doing and August ends with no news, we're all going to be on pins and needles.

Indeed, I am marginally going like this :panic: but I am going to go with my earlier prediction of single out in September and album November hitting two Grammy's cycle's and maybe boosting Holiday sales.

September was likely a guess all along. I think Larry said that. It seemed to me at the time to be another in a long line of guesstimations. We've heard enough of those throughout the years, from all 4 members of the band and Paul McG to know to take it with a grain of salt.

But it could still happen. If U2 finally decides they don't need a lot of time to get everything ready and promote it, etc. But I doubt that happens. They could very well release a quick single (not necessarily the 'big' song but a game-changing 'announcement' song, like The Fly or Numb) and then have the big 'push' with a different single (the obvious 'hit') a few weeks before the album drops. That could be something new for them. But they may not want to try something new. They are notoriously creatures of habit. Speaking of...

The album is much more likely going to be out in November. I would think. They are on target to do, more or less, what they did with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. ATYCLB dropped right around Halloween (Oct 30th/31st), and HTDAAB was about three weeks after that.

Also, Achtung Baby and Rattle and Hum, if memory serves, were out in that time period as well. So in the last 25 years, everything but Zooropa (obviously not the norm) and two albums (POP, NLOTH) that were delayed were not released in that period. And POP, I know, was targeted for Christmas 1996. And NLOTH was on target for Fall 2008...before it wasn't.

November, methinks.

Yeah, I'm with you all. I've been pretty much assuming news in late August, single in September, album in late October/Early Novemeber.

:up: I agree. I do like the song and I am interested what a studio version will bring.

Incidentally, am I detecting "recycled lyrics" in that one? Or a least a similar theme? North Star: "I can't wait any longer for your love."

Miss Sarajevo: "E quell'amore non so pi aspettare" roughly translated "And for that love I can't wait any longer (more)" or "And that love can't wait any longer." I think that's the translation, anyway. Anyone know?

I think a big reason they've been quiet so far is that they're waiting to watch how the releases and marketing of other albums like Jay- Z go. Much of the way they used to market is obsolete and they're stepping into uncharted territory. By watching other big name's marketing methods and the response from the public, they'll be able to form a model.

North Star seems to be hated here by the masses but I like it, even when it was the opening reincarnation of The Fly during Elevation Tour. I think it has some redeeming qualities to it but needs to be "tweaked" a little bit. :shrug:

doesn't Every Breaking Wave bear a closer resemblance to this version of The Fly? I dont hear it in North Star

I liked the simplicity of North Star when I heard it live, even the lyrics. It has always sounded very unfinished to me, with raw lyrics and basic arrangement. I haven't heard the Transformer version, I know it was discussed here, but I hope whatever they decide to do with this song doesn't result in overproduction. Sometimes simple songs are U2's strength, like The First Time, which is one of those underrated songs.

Which one is the one from the movie? Transformers, maybe?

It was all so unmemorable. I hope they all got the axe.
I was under the impression U2 weren't all that excited about it either.
They kick-started the Danger Mouse thing after all that music had been aired.

Kings Of Leon recently announced their Sept release. Pearl Jam announced their October release today. U2 announce November release next month?

It has redeeming qualities in the way that cowshit can be repurposed as fertilizer to help other plants grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom