More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is interested, I've been on TV the past several nights providing legal commentary on the Zimmerman trial.
I thought that witness today, in a way, reinforced the prosecution's case of this guy trying to be a cop ; and your avatar makes sense now

Does this mean we get a 6 hour long album? A six-albums box set? Only instrumental spacey guitar tracks? No vocals? No Chris Martin? :scratch:

I should have also thrown in a few choice gifs to express my reaction.

ku-medium_zps878fbf09.gif

cmt-medium-1.gif

Is that first one from Easy A? :hmm: It seems familiar.

They should play the album in full on the next tour.

I'm betting after NLOTH, there will be more songs that are "live ready" this time around.

consider:
NLOTH - there was talk about how this would be difficult to adapt live.. Larry's recorded drum parts were on an electric kit if I'm not mistaken, which wouldnt really work live for them. I dont think they were ever happy with how the song played out, given that it was dropped so early.

MOS - didnt they try a few arrangement variations for this before settling on the final?

CT - for reasons unknown, they rarely played the album version. what does that say about how they feel about it?

SUC - never played

White as snow - would be dulllllll in a stadium setting

Fez-BB - never played

Cedars - never played

I'm betting after NLOTH, there will be more songs that are "live ready" this time around.

consider:
NLOTH - there was talk about how this would be difficult to adapt live.. Larry's recorded drum parts were on an electric kit if I'm not mistaken, which wouldnt really work live for them. I dont think they were ever happy with how the song played out, given that it was dropped so early.

MOS - didnt they try a few arrangement variations for this before settling on the final?

CT - for reasons unknown, they rarely played the album version. what does that say about how they feel about it?

SUC - never played

White as snow - would be dulllllll in a stadium setting

Fez-BB - never played

Cedars - never played

I think this might be a good bet, after first listen I had thought NLOTH (Album) had so many layers that it was going to be hard to reproduce live. I'm not an afficianado of music but it seemed they used a lot of sequencers for many of these songs so I agree, I would think the sound may be a bit more "stripped down", I'm not saying stripped down like unplugged but maybe a more live freindly arrangements.

I still think Fez-Being Born was live ready and should have either opened the show/encore or had a segueway ala Zooropa.

^ I often thought that too, I felt it was a good starting point of where they were musically and geographically for NLOTH, I still think it could have worked live.

I've been hearing North Star and I have to say it's a beautiful song, I can totally imagine it on the new album as an almost acoustic piece. I hope it makes the cut. But I really hope it's not in there as THE love song of the album.
I want the new album to have a strong-epic love song.
I mean like With or Without You in TJT, like One in AB, like Stay in ZOOROPA, like Staring at the Sun in POP...and I guess The Ground Beneath Her Feet in TMDH and A Man and A Woman in HTDAAB, to a certain extent.

North Star seems to be hated here by the masses but I like it, even when it was the opening reincarnation of The Fly during Elevation Tour. I think it has some redeeming qualities to it but needs to be "tweaked" a little bit. :shrug:

^ Most of these songs aren't "love songs", at least not in the usual sense. On the other hand, almost every U2 song is a love song according to Bono's interpretation of love.

I love North Star, too, I hope they don't overproduce it.

lol, One and WOWY love songs? :lol: Have you even paid attention to the lyrics??

Hahaha! Oh believe me, I did pay attention!
I called them "love" songs for I don't know how else to describe them...maybe "bittersweet love songs"...? I guess it all depends on the interpretation/s each one gives to the song...a long time ago I read an interview with Zack De La Rocha where he said that for him, all of RATM songs are love songs...

^ Most of these songs aren't "love songs", at least not in the usual sense. On the other hand, almost every U2 song is a love song according to Bono's interpretation of love.

I love North Star, too, I hope they don't overproduce it.

I'd rather have an acoustic version compared to the way overproduced sounding version that was briefly played during Transformers 3 (I still think that's so weird that it was in the movie and still hasn't seen the light of day).

Personally, I hope the songs they choose on the album are better than this, but I'm open to the possibility that they may have made improvements to the song as well.

North Star seems to be hated here by the masses but I like it, even when it was the opening reincarnation of The Fly during Elevation Tour. I think it has some redeeming qualities to it but needs to be "tweaked" a little bit. :shrug:

North Star is fine. Plenty of more people besides the eight or so that hate it on here were even singing along to it at the shows it was played at. Heck, I can even remember someone playing it on their portable stereo in the GA line before the Chicago show in 2011. They weren't exactly cranking White as Snow or Cedars for the masses of fans there, you know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom