More new U2 album discussion! - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #1001
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
Couldn't stop smiling at that. That guy was totally prepared and yet also jumping out of his skin. How totally fabulous.

Seriously though, I think that taking requests and being spontaneous is just not the way U2 wants to play, even if they could. They are control freaks, in a good way. They want every variable under their control, to make it exactly what they want. It's not only that they can't do randomness and unpredictability- they also just don't like it. They want to hit it out of the park every time, and they want to feel secure about being able to.
That's very nice, good for him as well. When or where was this?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #1002
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
nobody is protecting this house. this is just dumb bullshit.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #1003
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I think also some of the blame should be focused on Willie Williams and his lighting crew. I think that he shares almost equal say in what the setlists are. They obviously work very well together, and Willie is surely one of the best in his field, but he certainly likes things to remain a certain way too I think.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #1004
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *I* View Post
Click Clack
damn right
Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #1005
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
Technology does play a role. The electronics and videos are tied into a playlist. If U2 randomly does a deviation, that will cause problems or look sloppy. That said, I have enjoyed some rare treats, like the sudden performance of "Fast Cars" during the "Vertigo" tour.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #1006
Blue Crack Distributor

U2 used visuals as the "excuse" as to why they didn't play changing setlists.

Then came Elevation and Vertigo, where they didn't have elaborate visuals to worry about, and the static setlists remained.

They either don't want to do the rehearsing necessary, or they can't do it as musicians. The visual excuse is just that... an excuse.

And I'm fine with that... I've accepted that it is who they are, and I'll take the static set lists as long as I get a giant multimedia clust'o'fuck'o'rama.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #1007
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I think also some of the blame should be focused on Willie Williams and his lighting crew. I think that he shares almost equal say in what the setlists are. They obviously work very well together, and Willie is surely one of the best in his field, but he certainly likes things to remain a certain way too I think.
So when REM moved their setlists around with much more regularity during the Up tour, designed by Willie Williams... whose fault was that?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #1008
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This set list and spontaneity talk reminded me of an interview I read earlier this summer with Mike Campbell. It gives some interesting perspectives from the musician's point of view regarding those two things, including rehearsing "deep cuts", so to speak.

Tom Petty Guitarist Mike Campbell: 'We're Free From 'Free Fallin'''
Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #1009
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
This set list and spontaneity talk reminded me of an interview I read earlier this summer with Mike Campbell. It gives some interesting perspectives from the musician's point of view regarding those two things, including rehearsing "deep cuts", so to speak.

Tom Petty Guitarist Mike Campbell: 'We're Free From 'Free Fallin'''
That is an interesting read. Imagine being in U2 and you are in front of 40000 people all singing the main chorus as you do Pride for the umpteenth time. I have to imagine that would still make it seem "fresh" or moving to them. I'm tired of Pride but when they roll through it in person and everyone is singing it, it does not seem that stale. I'm sure that is the place U2 are coming from. I also think Bono hates rehearsal, so it is both most likely.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #1010
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't mind the static set lists but I do like when they throw in songs that haven't been playeduch like Zooropa or TUF. I wish they would get over the hate for pop and play some of the songs like Mofo. But I don't think they will ever include songs from pop on a regular basis.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1011
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Room View Post

That is an interesting read. Imagine being in U2 and you are in front of 40000 people all singing the main chorus as you do Pride for the umpteenth time. I have to imagine that would still make it seem "fresh" or moving to them. I'm tired of Pride but when they roll through it in person and everyone is singing it, it does not seem that stale. I'm sure that is the place U2 are coming from. I also think Bono hates rehearsal, so it is both most likely.
Very true. That's just human nature. If you're continuously given praise for something, you'll continue to do it.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1012
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
U2 used visuals as the "excuse" as to why they didn't play changing setlists.

Then came Elevation and Vertigo, where they didn't have elaborate visuals to worry about, and the static setlists remained.
I don't know...I went to three separate Elevation shows and saw three different set lists. There's a pretty significant difference btwn the Boston and Slane shows too. Vertigo had its share of change-ups too; remember how excited we all were to hear Gloria, An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, Running to Stand still, Electric Co, etc?

On each of these tours they played some combination of 60 songs. That's a pretty shifting set list.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #1013
The Fly

A bit off topic but rumour has it that the b man will perform with springsteen tonight in Kilkenny

Tags
bono, breaking bad, danger mouse, jack bauer, john locke, lost, magnificent, new album please, not manhattan, old arguments, old tricks, orange shirts, space moon, u2, walt