More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, for a long time I've had this thought stuck in my head that their last album would be more directly titled with spiritual references reflecting their collective faith.

Sort of like saying, 'we've been somewhat incognito our career, but here it all is, and we don't care what you think'.

I'm hoping for a mix of arenas and stadiums in the US -- it can be done.

Why do people keep saying that this could be their last album? :uhoh: I don't like this collective hunch, but I have to admit that I have the same feeling.

Eponymous album titles betray a total lack of imagination. I can't stand when artists do that.

Totally agreed. I really hate it. It's like...one of the key creative statements outside the music. You could argue the White Album or Metallica's Black Album - were creative statements in terms of cover art (or lack thereof). But the idea that fans will name the fucking thing anyway (Pearl Jam's Avocado also comes to mind) is just one more demonstration of how creatively lazy it is.

I'm still annoyed by Peter Gabriel's first four albums (although I heard them after the fact, just in principle). I call them by their American titles anyway.

Even The Beatles themselves called it The White Album, perhaps many years after 1968 but nonetheless. Besides, The Beatles were of a different creative and marketing period where they could get away with...

'With The Beatles'
'Beatlemania! With The Beatles'
'Introducing... The Beatles'
'Meet the Beatles!'
'The Beatles' Second Album'
'Beatles for Sale'
'Beatles '65'
'Beatles VI'
I might be missing a few although not strictly self-titled like The White Album

And The White Album was slated (IIRC, and I am certain someone will clarify) to be called Doll's House before some other band released an album with that same name. So you could argue they might not have wanted to make it a self-titled album otherwise. I don't recall.

I edited and deleted that last comment where I was making a joke because it sounded like I was suggesting self-titled albums sucked. Which clearly isn't necessarily the case.

What sucks is the artist choosing to mail it in at the last moment and self-title it.

For what it's worth, for a long time I've had this thought stuck in my head that their last album would be more directly titled with spiritual references reflecting their collective faith.

Sort of like saying, 'we've been somewhat incognito our career, but here it all is, and we don't care what you think'.

Didn't they spend the whole of the last decade pretty much saying that though ("this is us, it's all about the songs now, and we don't care what people say")? :hmm: I think a self-referential album title would have worked in the immediate aftermath of Pop. Releasing album no.10 "U2" in 2000 would have been a fitting swansong, after a decade of throwing all kinds of different shapes. Buy doing that now, after 13 years of being as U2ey as possible, I think the response would be a huge collective yawn.

I don't feel it being the last album, I don't know why.
I felt it for the Vertigo tour, I thought it would be their last tour and rushed to to see them 6 times... It had a strange feeling with a lot of references to the Boy album, I thought that was it. But here, no.... even more if Chris Martin is in the album, what the hell would he do there if U2 hadn't the intention of being known by younger fans? I don't think it's the end, yet....

So, U2BR asked on twitter about the possibility o a new album in November. This is what we got back:

@u2br Según nos informan el lanzamiento se ha retrasado. Quizá para Navidad, pero no te lo podemos asegurar. Un saludo!

"@u2br They informed us the release has been delayed. Maybe for Christmas, but we're not sure. Cheers!"

So, either they don't now, or they were asked for not telling nothing...

What sucks is the artist choosing to mail it in at the last moment and self-title it.

Didn't they spend the whole of the last decade pretty much saying that though ("this is us, it's all about the songs now, and we don't care what people say")? :hmm: I think a self-referential album title would have worked in the immediate aftermath of Pop. Releasing album no.10 "U2" in 2000 would have been a fitting swansong, after a decade of throwing all kinds of different shapes. Buy doing that now, after 13 years of being as U2ey as possible, I think the response would be a huge collective yawn.

Both of these.

NLOTH rules, and whoever likes/loves Cedars Of Lebannon should disappear.

Return...the call...to troll....

Thanks for your work Flying Colors. Perhaps the website registrations are now handled by Live Nation since they run the U2 website?

I thought of that too, but I think Live Nation only handles tour-related stuff. I'll see if I can find any domains registered by them later, though. :hmm:

but did you looked for SOLAR? :shifty:

No results found for "solar".

So, U2BR asked on twitter about the possibility o a new album in November. This is what we got back:

@u2br Según nos informan el lanzamiento se ha retrasado. Quizá para Navidad, pero no te lo podemos asegurar. Un saludo!

"@u2br They informed us the release has been delayed. Maybe for Christmas, but we're not sure. Cheers!"

So, either they don't now, or they were asked for not telling nothing...

I just checked their Twitter page and apparently they got that info from those Spanish stores that were listing U2's album as due in November.

@CAC_Fnac_ESP

@CAC_Fnac_ESP
@u2br According to what we're being told, the release has been delayed. It may happen on Christmas, but we're not sure.

Also,

@CAC_Fnac_ESP
@u2br En estos momentos no hay fecha confirmada. Un saludo!

@CAC_Fnac_ESP
@u2br As of right now, there's no confirmed date.

I really doubt they'd release an album around Christmas. I'm still betting on a mid/late October release. :up:

I thought of that too, but I think Live Nation only handles tour-related stuff. I'll see if I can find any domains registered by them later, though. :hmm:

No results found for "solar".

I just checked their Twitter page and apparently they got that info from those Spanish stores that were listing U2's album as due in November.

Also,

I really doubt they'd release an album around Christmas. I'm still betting on a mid/late October release. :up:

Yes! I forgot to say the source was the Spanish Fnac!

I really doubt as well, but I don't know, they may release an Christmas album, with all 4 dressed as elf in the cover, and do the promo tour in the toy stores around the US. Who knows?

Edit: new info about tour!

@U2Achtung_: When meeting Adam yesterday: When will we see you back on stage? Adam Clayton: Some time next year. #U2 #U2tour

Just an FYI that I talked to my dad about U2 last night, and he remembers hearing the song "Staring At The Sun" on the radio many years ago.

Not sure if this counts as news or not.

I did some more research on the domains and it looks like the u _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ n.com domain I mentioned (registered by Universal) has the word "glastonbury" in it (found out about this by just trying luck with several words).

Reverse Whois Lookup | Domain Ownership Search | DomainTools

A few months ago, Larry mentioned the song had been rewritten.

UPDATE, January 12: During the interview, which aired today, Larry also tells Dave Fanning that "Glastonbury" and "Return Of The Stingray Guitar" are still around, but both songs have been rewritten. The interview will be available soon to hear on the Dave Fanning show web page, or you can listen now via this U2 News upload.

So what could the domain be? It starts with "u2", has "glastonbury" somewhere in the middle and ends with an "n". This could be a fun guessing game. :sexywink:

Edit: Figured it out, it was u2glastonburycountdown.com. Nothing to see here. :reject:

LOL, "u2skylineofmanhattan.com" is just 2 letters short of fitting. :wink:

Edit: u2skylineovermanhattan.com fits. :eek:

Does anyone know if the Band is in Eze? Or where they are now, maybe Windmill Lane? I would like to theorize that if they were in Eze might be a good sign that most of the recording work is finished and they can get some holiday in before they get "Ready for the Push"

Totally agreed. I really hate it. It's like...one of the key creative statements outside the music. You could argue the White Album or Metallica's Black Album - were creative statements in terms of cover art (or lack thereof). But the idea that fans will name the fucking thing anyway (Pearl Jam's Avocado also comes to mind) is just one more demonstration of how creatively lazy it is.

I'm still annoyed by Peter Gabriel's first four albums (although I heard them after the fact, just in principle). I call them by their American titles anyway.

Even The Beatles themselves called it The White Album, perhaps many years after 1968 but nonetheless. Besides, The Beatles were of a different creative and marketing period where they could get away with...

'With The Beatles'
'Beatlemania! With The Beatles'
'Introducing... The Beatles'
'Meet the Beatles!'
'The Beatles' Second Album'
'Beatles for Sale'
'Beatles '65'
'Beatles VI'
I might be missing a few although not strictly self-titled like The White Album

And The White Album was slated (IIRC, and I am certain someone will clarify) to be called Doll's House before some other band released an album with that same name. So you could argue they might not have wanted to make it a self-titled album otherwise. I don't recall.

According to Wikipedia The album's working title, A Doll's House, was changed when the English progressive rock band Family released the similarly titled Music in a Doll's House earlier that year. Isn't it pretty much always referred to as The White album, and not The Beatles, though ?

I'd prefer "U2" over them using Man for (eventually) last album. And a double album someday, if they have enough material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom