More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, was Bono annoying on that 360 tour or what.

I wonder if B and Co. were pissed that Magnificent did not launch them back into the orbit they are used to. They were like "they are going to go apeshit over this boys". It was the quintessential U2 song with the classic Edge chiming riff. I liked it more before I realized it got trashed on this forum for some reason (opposite is true for MOS). It needed 3 elements to be in the rarified air of a warhorse:

1) sharper lyrics in the verses
2) Edge's guitar disappears during the verses
3) the solo: as someone stated before he could have scorched the song like he did on WOWY live on Rattle & Hum .

Magnificent was a huge missed opportunity that they can't get back.

I still like it. Could have been so much more.

Music aside, the "message" of the song is boring. The most popular/successful U2 singles tend to paint in bright, bold colors and convey a succinct and potent message (Pride, BD, Streets etc etc). Magnificent fails on all counts. It's an elegant but drab song. I personally didn't believe for a nanosecond it would be a hit.

Magnificent is a nice song but yes I agree, it's not built to be big. Nothing on NLOTH was, Magnificent is probably just the closest thing. The formula was there with Crazy but it too fell short.

Fuck Boots.

Magnificent had a chance to soar, to me it just needed to be sped up a bit more, oh to think of a combined SoA and NLOTH with dropping a couple tracks off of the existing NLOTH. And I can't wait to hopefully hear that 9 minute MOS one day, agree that they should have kept that Fez vibe throughout, once they started tinkering with Crazy, love the concert remix though, and putting in SUC, it started to go downhill.

I think Breathe is a pretty big song, it could have been a cool summer anthem single.

I really love Magnificent. I know most people around here think Edge sleepwalked his way through NLOTH with the solos and the ringing delay, but I love that riff, it's infectious and just makes you smile. I like the build-up, the intro with its simultaneous four-on-the-floor disco beat and syncopated rhythms, and its one of the "future hymns" that was part of the main idea in the Fez sessions. Plus I applaud them for releasing a big positive anthem in an age when cynicism or crassness make up the bulk of the radio.

That isn't to say I'm not curious what the whole song sounded like when it was recorded in Fez, I don't doubt it probably sounded fresher at the very least than the cooked version we've head in full.

I do not think they ever came up with a strong live arrangement for it, it wasn't terrible live, but it never lived up to its potential on tour.

I think Breathe is a pretty big song, it could have been a cool summer anthem single.

I really love Magnificent. I know most people around here think Edge sleepwalked his way through NLOTH with the solos and the ringing delay, but I love that riff, it's infectious and just makes you smile. I like the build-up, the intro with its simultaneous four-on-the-floor disco beat and syncopated rhythms, and its one of the "future hymns" that was part of the main idea in the Fez sessions. Plus I applaud them for releasing a big positive anthem in an age when cynicism or crassness make up the bulk of the radio.

That isn't to say I'm not curious what the whole song sounded like when it was recorded in Fez, I don't doubt it probably sounded fresher at the very least than the cooked version we've head in full.

I do not think they ever came up with a strong live arrangement for it, it wasn't terrible live, but it never lived up to its potential on tour.

I revisited the Remix that was played on the tour last week, and I was actually a bit moved by it, with the exception of the Desmond Tutu bit playing over it.

Yeah, was Bono annoying on that 360 tour or what.

The 360 tour was annoying. In fact, everything about U2 is annoying. I'm sure the new album will be annoying too. One of the songs will be called "What time is it in the world?" That's an absolutely confirmed rumor. That Bono just doesn't know when to stop. Really.

What a second here for fuks sake..... someone's saying about cringeworthy lyrics x 10,000 and it not BOOTS? :huh:

I have the lyrics up on my second monitor and WOW!!! what a stinker.... As bad as the actual song is the lyrics are just.... unbelievable :yuck:

To me, the whole "these lyrics are good, these lyrics are bad" debate has always gotten under my skin. I think it's just so hard to judge considering that lyrics are probably the most personal item in the song, and that it can hit the audience so differently on an emotional level.

I've seen comments before that the lyrics to "Walk On" are awful but also heard stories about how those same lyrics literally brought someone to tears.

Same thing with "Unknown Caller". I've seen comments regarding the lyrics literally ruining the song for them, yet others believe the lyrics were executed brilliantly.

It seems so much more like it's an issue with the lyrics emotionally connecting than whether or not they're "good" or "bad".

With that said, I do undertand that sometimes Bono can be a little repetitive with certain words and themes, and how that could possibly rub someone the wrong way.

Well I think there's a subjective bad and an objective bad.

Boots' lyrics are objectively bad. MoS 'ATM machine' line is an objectively bad lyric.

Walk On's lyrics are not objectively bad.

Just to bring the topic back to a few pages ago when Chris Martin was being discussed, I happen to work in the vicinity of the two studios which Coldplay use in London, and though I always hold back from ever running the risk of bugging Chris with a questions - last week I thought what the hell, and when I saw him in the street I asked about the rumours of him recording with U2 in New York. He put his finger to his mouth and said :shh: "Come on now, that would be telling". Thought I'd throw this extremely tiny bit of info into the mix, for what it's worth.

So what did I miss while I was on vacation the last 2 weeks?? :hyper: :lol:

We discussed One, we discussed NLOTH (all facets), PoP once again reared it's head...... so just like every other thread here!

Seriously no news other than a record store in Spain put on there Board U2 - new album November...., you could prolly go back on vacation couple weeks.

To me, the whole "these lyrics are good, these lyrics are bad" debate has always gotten under my skin. I think it's just so hard to judge considering that lyrics are probably the most personal item in the song, and that it can hit the audience so differently on an emotional level.

I've seen comments before that the lyrics to "Walk On" are awful but also heard stories about how those same lyrics literally brought someone to tears.

Same thing with "Unknown Caller". I've seen comments regarding the lyrics literally ruining the song for them, yet others believe the lyrics were executed brilliantly.

It seems so much more like it's an issue with the lyrics emotionally connecting than whether or not they're "good" or "bad".

With that said, I do undertand that sometimes Bono can be a little repetitive with certain words and themes, and how that could possibly rub someone the wrong way.

I do agree with this being totally objective but reading the lyrics to that song is just so emberassing but IMHO. :wink:

What a second here for fuks sake..... someone's saying about cringeworthy lyrics x 10,000 and it not BOOTS? :huh:

I have the lyrics up on my second monitor and WOW!!! what a stinker.... As bad as the actual song is the lyrics are just.... unbelievable :yuck:

I think this forum needs more confirmation that you don't like this song. :hmm:

I like some of the Boots lyrics. It doesn't matter how many times anyone says they hate the songs or the lyrics, I will still like it. :hmm:

Anyway, any new album discussion? :hmm: (Edit: I see there was a little bit, thanks Aardvark.)

(Sorry YBOR, I don't mean anything by that, just sayin'. :wink:)

Just to bring the topic back to a few pages ago when Chris Martin was being discussed, I happen to work in the vicinity of the two studios which Coldplay use in London, and though I always hold back from ever running the risk of bugging Chris with a questions - last week I thought what the hell, and when I saw him in the street I asked about the rumours of him recording with U2 in New York. He put his finger to his mouth and said :shh: "Come on now, that would be telling". Thought I'd throw this extremely tiny bit of info into the mix, for what it's worth.

thanks for sharing, and actually asking something useful

We gone from "cry without weeping, talk without speaking" to "candy floss, ice cream". Perhaps a backwards step.

We gone from "cry without weeping, talk without speaking" to "candy floss, ice cream". Perhaps a backwards step.

I think it's an issue of writing songs in the studio as opposed to bringing in prepared work. I remember reading about sometimes they will write down whatever comes out of Bono's face during a jam session and try to work that into a lyric, which never made much sense to me.

But then again, 'the hell do I know?

I think Magnificent is one of the best 00's U2 songs. There is something classic in there, something that comes naturally and not forced.

There is a smell of something like New Year's Day in Magnificent. That's how i feel about it.
That's a very good point. 'Magnificent' does have an ebb & flow about it that comes off naturally, and 'New Year's Day' has this as well -- not to say the two songs sound similar, not at all. They just share that one very important attribute of everything just flowing together, without being forced. It's not songwriting by numbers. It's as though the song already existed, and U2 just kind of discovered it. The best songs are usually like this.

I think this forum needs more confirmation that you don't like this song. :hmm:

I like some of the Boots lyrics. It doesn't matter how many times anyone says they hate the songs or the lyrics, I will still like it. :hmm:

Anyway, any new album discussion? :hmm: (Edit: I see there was a little bit, thanks Aardvark.)

(Sorry YBOR, I don't mean anything by that, just sayin'. :wink:)

Hey bc :wave:, no offense taken I will stop my rants on it from now on.... but I REALLY would like to change your mind on it :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom