More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, U2girl, some people do have different opinions than you. But that's ok. People have different opinions than I do as well. That is what makes music great. We can all see something different.

I'll never get over the diversity of opinion among fans. It verges on the hilarious sometimes-- are we all listening to the same songs? But it's all good.

I wasn't really talking about the lyrics so much as the melody lines and the U2 "wall of sound" those songs exhibit that harken back to TUF and Joshua Tree. The vocals are great as well. As for the lyrics, what has to be understood is that this album deals a lot with metaphysical subject matter. It has a spirituality to it, not just in the typical "religious" sense found in their earlier work. It goes deeper than that, and to a very personal level -- to the point where if you're not ready for it, it may not make any impact. But if you see where Bono is coming from -- reaching for the stars from within his own personal universe, I think these lyrics are not just great; they're transcending:

"I was born, I was born to sing for you
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice from the womb
My first cry, it was a joyful noise."

And also:

"I was right there at the top of the bottom
On the edge of the known universe where I wanted to be
I had driven to the scene of the accident
And I sat there waiting for me"

Thematically, 'Moment of Surrender' runs along the exact same lines. The Fez sessions opened up a very metaphysical vein, and all those Fez songs share this in common. If you read these lyrics through that metaphysical lens, I think you'll also be transported in the way I was when I heard it. But who knows. Music, like all art, is very subjective, and requires us to meet ourselves in a certain place before we see it the way the artist might have: "And I sat there, waiting for me".....

See... The "I was born to sing for you" verse is probably my least favorite verse that Bono has ever written.

But Unknown Caller on the other hand... that song pisses me off more than any u2 song ever. The music is great... the lyrics in the verses are actually pretty damn good as well...

And

Then... The

Chorus starts

And ruins the song

Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh

I think that Magnificent has fantastic lyrics. According to Bono, the song is about "two lovers holding on to each other and trying to turn their life into worship", which to me implies that the "I was born to song for you" line is not about Bono.

I think that Magnificent has fantastic lyrics. According to Bono, the song is about "two lovers holding on to each other and trying to turn their life into worship", which to me implies that the "I was born to song for you" line is not about Bono.

I'm pretty sure Edge was the one that suggested that particular line too. If people don't like that verse, then they really can't blame Bono for that one!

1. I think most people don't give a shit about lyrics and even less what they originally meant. The #1s skip to number 3.

2. Even the ones that do care about lyrics want to identify something of their lives, opinions, beliefs and if they can't make the song about themselves they give up on lyrics.

3.Then they quickly decide if they like the melody and if it isn't immediate they give up on the whole song, and the whole album if they listened to the first single.

Normally if there's a Bono lyric I don't like, I do research on the meaning before making a final judgement. That usually helps me through some of the ones that are cringe worthy on the surface.

I'm pretty sure Edge was the one that suggested that particular line too. If people don't like that verse, then they really can't blame Bono for that one!
That is true, Trev. Edge did suggest that lyric. To me, it's a worship song about God, but coming from a very personal perspective, which makes sense if Bono is saying it's about two lovers trying to turn their life into worship. Bono stated most of this album was written from the point of view of different characters, and Bono put himself into those characters and channeled those characters through himself. So when we say it isn't Bono's perspective, in a way we are right, but in a way we are wrong. Bono has always revealed himself through characters - it's just that on NLOTH, Bono admits this to be the case.

Sorry, but Bono has overused the "singing" lyrics, even if this song is more about worship. Too self-referential on the surface and he's just played that card out.

Regardless, he uses it to better effect on Breathe anyway. Though some of those lyrics are Bono in 2000-era "uplifting/inspirational" mode that I'm not crazy about.

I like Magnificent but was a bit underwhelmed by the album version. The live version is good, also there is a remix version (can't remember which one) that is so good it will send you into orbit. I think the beach clips suggested this song had a really surging chorus, which it does live, but the album seems to be unexpectedly watered down.

I like Magnificent but was a bit underwhelmed by the album version. The live version is good, also there is a remix version (can't remember which one) that is so good it will send you into orbit. I think the beach clips suggested this song had a really surging chorus, which it does live, but the album seems to be unexpectedly watered down.

The Fred Falke remix?

U2 - Magnificent (Fred Falke Full Club Mix) - YouTube

I really need to track down these NLOTH beach clips too...

I wonder if B and Co. were pissed that Magnificent did not launch them back into the orbit they are used to. They were like "they are going to go apeshit over this boys". It was the quintessential U2 song with the classic Edge chiming riff. I liked it more before I realized it got trashed on this forum for some reason (opposite is true for MOS). It needed 3 elements to be in the rarified air of a warhorse:

1) sharper lyrics in the verses
2) Edge's guitar disappears during the verses
3) the solo: as someone stated before he could have scorched the song like he did on WOWY live on Rattle & Hum .

Magnificent was a huge missed opportunity that they can't get back.

I still like it. Could have been so much more.

I wonder if B and Co. were pissed that Magnificent did not launch them back into the orbit they are used to. They were like "they are going to go apeshit over this boys". It was the quintessential U2 song with the classic Edge chiming riff. I liked it more before I realized it got trashed on this forum for some reason (opposite is true for MOS). It needed 3 elements to be in the rarified air of a warhorse:

1) sharper lyrics in the verses
2) Edge's guitar disappears during the verses
3) the solo: as someone stated before he could have scorched the song like he did on WOWY live on Rattle & Hum .

Magnificent was a huge missed opportunity that they can't get back.

I still like it. Could have been so much more.
1) I disagree about the lyrics, as most people get hooked primarily by the melody of a song they hear on the radio -- unless it's a ballad, in which case it's first the melody and then the lyrics. When I was a teenager, I didn't know the lyrics to 'Where the Streets Have No Name' for some time, but I couldn't wait to hear it again on the radio. That song hooked me on U2, and it was not until I bought The Joshua Tree album, that I got into the lyrics. I don't think I am unique in this scenario.

2) I think it would have been nicer to have some chimes throughout the verses (I really like the remake of 'Numb' in that respect), but I do hear Edge's guitar all throughout the verses. The "silver" chiming sound doesn't come out as much, but the guitar is definitely there. The chiming just comes out a lot more during the chorus. But songs like 'Pride' and 'Streets' bring the chime to the foreground during the chorus as well, and it sure didn't hurt those songs.

3) Am I the only one who prefers the understated studio version of 'With or Without You' to the live version on Rattle & Hum? It was the studio version that went to #1 anyway...probably U2's biggest worldwide hit ever.

My opinion is that 'Magnificent' suffered the 'Get on Your Boots' disappointment. If 'Magnificent' had been the first single -- or even the 2nd single if U2 had released a 1st single like 'Moment of Surrender or 'No Line on the Horizon' (as they almost did) -- then it would have likely charted much higher. Coming off the 'Boots' hangover, it had a lot to overcome.

You can thank Eno for Magnificent not being what we expected from the beach clips. He said it was a very masculine sounding song at first and that it needed a "swish" to it. It also has that completely unnecessary intro that does nothing for the song.

You can thank Eno for Magnificent not being what we expected from the beach clips. He said it was a very masculine sounding song at first and that it needed a "swish" to it. It also has that completely unnecessary intro that does nothing for the song.
I remember reading that too, but the version in the beach clips is the same version that we got on the album. It's just that it was muffled by the sound of waves and a bad recording, which gave it more of that "wall of sound" quality we missed from the old analogue recordings like Achtung Baby & Joshua Tree. Sometimes I wish U2 would record an album with their old analogue equipment and forget the digital. It sounds way to clean and stripped now. But everyone wants clean and stripped.

It also has that completely unnecessary intro that does nothing for the song.

I have to disagree with that. It adeptly builds anticipation for the song proper, and that lead riff more than rewards it. I thought the song as a whole was brilliant when I first heard it, but since then a few select posters have convinced me that the guitar solo is at best lacking and at worst a total mood-killer.

I have to disagree with that. It adeptly builds anticipation for the song proper, and that lead riff more than rewards it. I thought the song as a whole was brilliant when I first heard it, but since then a few select posters have convinced me that the guitar solo is at best lacking and at worst a total mood-killer.
Don't let other posters dissuade your original taste. Trust your instincts. I actually love the slide guitar solo. It reminds me of the great slide guitar work in 'Wicked Game' from Chris Isaak. Say what you want about him, but that's a classic song. The guitar just creates a mood for lack of a better word. And that's what I love about 'Magnificent' -- the mood it creates. It's ecstatic, but it's a moody kind of ecstasy. It's almost like a memory, like a reflection being brought to life in the present moment....soon to be an afterthought, yet captured and preserved by something eternal....which makes it ethereal somehow. That's what that solo does for me.

This thread is just serving to remind me about how great of a song I think that Magnificent is. Definitely second place after Moment of Surrender, although Fez, Breathe and White as Snow are close behind.

Magnificent
MOS
Breathe...

...are some of the best songs they've ever done. I do wish the guitar solo had more flash in Magnificent but it wasn't a deal breaker. I love the backing electronics to the song.

Why in the world is the title track (NLOTH) not being discussed? :drool:
Or 'Unknown Caller'? The best songs of this album were all written in Fez, and they all had a certain feel to them. If 'Winter' had been included instead of 'Stand Up Comedy', and 'Boots' totally dropped, this album would have been just about as perfect a U2 album they have ever put out.

On an unrelated note, personally, I wish they would bring back 'My Time Hasn't Come', and rework that. Now that would be epic:
(Just wait till the song gets going....instant classic in the making...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZDSI-1-Qo

Or 'Unknown Caller'? The best songs of this album were all written in Fez, and they all had a certain feel to them. If 'Winter' had been included instead of 'Stand Up Comedy', and 'Boots' totally dropped, this album would have been just about as perfect a U2 album they have ever put out.

This is my preferred tracklist:

No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Soon
Breathe
White As Snow
Winter (Linear Version)
Fez-Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon

This is my preferred tracklist:

No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Soon
Breathe
White As Snow
Winter (Linear Version)
Fez-Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon
That's a beautiful and cohesive album. Brian Eno was right that U2 were nuts for leaving off 'Winter'. I wouldn't even have minded them keeping a pop song like 'I'll Go Crazy' in there, as it's a nice change of pace after 'Unknown Caller' and blends in quite well. That would make it 11 songs, and just commercial enough for U2 to still get played on the radio. Oh what might have been....

I think Magnificent is one of the best 00's U2 songs. There is something classic in there, something that comes naturally and not forced.

There is a smell of something like New Year's Day in Magnificent. That's how i feel about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom