More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My bet is for November As well...

They said earlier this year (or it was the year before?) that U2, Arcade Fire and Metallica confirmed 2013 releases. Well, seems that AF will release the new album in early September, so I guess U2 won't. I don't know about Metallica, but with a Pearl Jam release in October, I guess that U2 will release in November

Every Breaking Wave has very nice melody in the verses, but completely loses it at the chorus. Now take a full band and your U2 studio magic and I think I could like it more. But "I don't know if I'm that strong" isn't really a good hook for such a stripped down performance

The songs don't need to be "lots of hits" but more just a lil adventurous and away from the formula of the last few albums (ie vertigo )

Yet One is written about a gay son and his father. How the hell is that a love song? :crack:

I've seen One used to refer to all sorts of difficult relationships between people who love each other, but I've never heard Bono give a that as a straightforward explanation of what the song was about. Do you have a source I could check out?

The songs don't need to be "lots of hits" but more just a lil adventurous and away from the formula of the last few albums (ie vertigo )

Did Vertigo really represent that much of the formula for the past two albums though? Except for maybe GOYB and some of the guitar tones on HTDAAB, I don't really see it all that much...

Every Breaking Wave has very nice melody in the verses, but completely loses it at the chorus. Now take a full band and your U2 studio magic and I think I could like it more. But "I don't know if I'm that strong" isn't really a good hook for such a stripped down performance

I agree, but EBW is the only song from the 360 songs that actually has a studio version and had already been considered to be on an album. So it will/would be interesting to see if they did indeed rework the song. I like it a lot, but it seems like the song really needs a (new) chorus. I love the guitar and the verses.

I agree, but EBW is the only song from the 360 songs that actually has a studio version and had already been considered to be on an album. So it will/would be interesting to see if they did indeed rework the song. I like it a lot, but it seems like the song really needs a (new) chorus. I love the guitar and the verses.

I'm sure North Star has seen a lot of consideration.

I hope both North Star and Every Breaking Wave have been thrown in the garbage can and never see any daylight again.

North Star is a sickly shot of treacle and needs to fuck off into a black hole. If it ends up being on the official tracklist, my anticipation for the album will nosedive. They need to jettison everything from their previous era imo (that includes EBW, which has attained this quasi-sacred status amongst fan circles for some reason).

North Star is a sickly shot of treacle and needs to fuck off into a black hole. If it ends up being on the official tracklist, my anticipation for the album will nosedive. They need to jettison everything from their previous era imo (that includes EBW, which has attained this quasi-sacred status amongst fan circles for some reason).

Not sacred, I just think its a legitimately good song that belongs on MANhattan or whatever the albums decided to be called today.

I've seen One used to refer to all sorts of difficult relationships between people who love each other, but I've never heard Bono give a that as a straightforward explanation of what the song was about. Do you have a source I could check out?

I think it may have been in one of the documentaries on the Best Of dvd, about the Drag video Anton made and why the royalties of the song go to AIDs research. I don't really recall where exactly it's been said, but it's been said quite a couple of times. That Bono himself doesn't understand why people find it a love song. There should be quotes out there somewhere, don't know where to find them though, sorry.

Yes, Bono has said several times that he finds it weird and has to cringe at the thought of people playing ONE at their weddings. He says the song is about diversion, not about togetherness.

I'm not sure about that. On the last couple of tours, the message of unity definitely transpires through live performances of that song.

For myself personally, Anton Corbijn's interpretation of the song is my favourite (son dying from AIDS talks to his estranged father who has never approved his lifestyle).

Every Breaking Wave wasn't bad. North Star on the other hand was such a generic pop song. But it was still better than the real clunker out of the new songs they tried on the 360 tour; Glastonbury. I'm glad there's been no mention in the rumor mill of including that on the new album.

They should've recorded Boy Falls From The Sky. Nothing groundbreaking, but solid U2 song. The lone performance in Coimbra was really good. The version included on the Spiderman soundtrack (sung by that kid) was pretty unimpressive.

For myself personally, Anton Corbijn's interpretation of the song is my favourite (son dying from AIDS talks to his estranged father who has never approved his lifestyle).

I could see that. Elton John has a song called 'Last Song' about that very topic. Pretty sad song and video :(

ONE might be the best song ever written

Its the song that, when Im watching the band live, I have to really try and hold it together when they begin to play it.

Its the song that, when Im watching the band live, I have to really try and hold it together when they begin to play it.

Agree. It means a lot to many people including me.

And it's the song that saved U2 who were at the verge of break up when they made this song.

Agree. It means a lot to many people including me.

And it's the song that saved U2 who were at the verge of break up when they made this song.

True. It could mean just about anything. Its fucking universal. And its the one song that even people who hate u2 will admit its just fucking great.

Anyone who doesn't like ONE deserves to have their head chopped off.

I just think that One is a love song no matter who it was written for, or in what situation. You couldn't possibly feel that level of pain and alienation about someone you didn't love. And that's what I meant about the best love songs not being the happy ones. It never is all sweetness and light for ever and ever, either between parent and child, or lovers or bandmates or whatever.

I just think that One is a love song no matter who it was written for, or in what situation. You couldn't possibly feel that level of pain and alienation about someone you didn't love. And that's what I meant about the best love songs not being the happy ones. It never is all sweetness and light for ever and ever, either between parent and child, or lovers or bandmates or whatever.

Absolutely agree. Love is, by no means, always easy. It can include a lot of pain, which One demonstrates perfectly. I think One is much more of a love song than any "traditional" happy happy lovey dovey love song. Agree that it's probably not an appropriate choice for a wedding, though.

:up: I agree. I do like the song and I am interested what a studio version will bring.

Incidentally, am I detecting "recycled lyrics" in that one? Or a least a similar theme? North Star: "I can't wait any longer for your love."

Miss Sarajevo: "E quell'amore non so pi aspettare" roughly translated "And for that love I can't wait any longer (more)" or "And that love can't wait any longer." I think that's the translation, anyway. Anyone know?

Yes, "and for that love I can't wait anymore" is correct.

I think there's also "I can't wait any longer/I can't wait till I'm stronger" in When I look at the world.

I think it may have been in one of the documentaries on the Best Of dvd, about the Drag video Anton made and why the royalties of the song go to AIDs research. I don't really recall where exactly it's been said, but it's been said quite a couple of times. That Bono himself doesn't understand why people find it a love song. There should be quotes out there somewhere, don't know where to find them though, sorry.

I still don't believe it was specifically written about a gay son/father situation. It was obviously written about the breakdown of some kind of relationship (most likely Edge's marriage), and it's this universality that has made it so powerful.

The fact that the proceeds of the single went to AIDS research is more coincidental, considering it was such a hot button issue at the time (and the band had already appeared on AIDS benefit album Red, Hot + Blue with their cover of "Night And Day"). Also, the video that Corbijn shot was replaced with another one because they were in drag and didn't want that element to be magnified w/r/t the issue.

The talk about the lyrics having a gay perspective is something that came significantly later, from what I can recall.

So because of one song, that will negate any positive feeling towards an album?

I REALLY liked NLOTH but hated that steaming pile of dog shit that was Boots, talk about a terrible song. IMHO it was by far the most emberassing song put out by this band - I still can't wrap my head around the same band that wrote all those epic songs came out with this.

This :up:

Like a lot of U2 songs, the meaning could be so personal, even at differing stages of one's life. The song Walk On meant one thing in the early 2000's and now has a very different meaning to me. That's why I connect so strongly to this band.

Gaga just announced a November album.

Any day now.

While intentionally universal, U2 clearly embraced the pro-gay interpretation of one by highlighting the work of gay artists who had died of AIDS in both Zoo TV (David W something) and PopMart (Keith Harring), both of which are incredibly moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom