More New Album talk from the Space Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting though, looking back at what the poster said, there was a bit of a radio backlash with NLOTH wasn't there??

Yeah, first time there's no excitement for the first new single after a long break, too. There was more excitement for TGBHF. I guess the lack of excitement reflects the esteem in which U2's recent work is held.

Hopefully they'll surprise everyone, but Ordinary Love doesn't sound promising.

I honestly can't remember if I knew Night+Day was coming out or I just stumbled upon it at the record shop.

How did we ever know about anything before the internet? I suppose I just went through the various artist comp bin and checked every track listing.

I think there's less excitement because U2 and their website really don't bother giving us much to talk about.

With NLOTH we had those clips released every few weeks which I thought was brilliant.

We get the announcement of a new song but that's it. It's tied to a movie. We don't know if it'll be on a soundtrack or when we'll get to here it (assumption is at end of the movie).

I honestly can't remember if I knew Night+Day was coming out or I just stumbled upon it at the record shop. How did we ever know about anything before the internet? I suppose I just went through the various artist comp bin and checked every track listing.

Magazines. MTV.

Yeah, first time there's no excitement for the first new single after a long break, too. There was more excitement for TGBHF. I guess the lack of excitement reflects the esteem in which U2's recent work is held.

Hopefully they'll surprise everyone, but Ordinary Love doesn't sound promising.

debbie+downer.jpg

There was some backlash when Bono wanted more royalties to go to artists from radio airplay and radio stations started playing less Magnificent, but when your first single dives they probably lost interest anyways.

^ I remember being pleasantly surprised when our alternative radio station started playing GOYB after the mainstream station kind of rejected it. I remember the DJ's saying that GOYB wasn't what they expected from U2 and that it wasn't really the "hit" they had hoped for. I would LOVE to hear the new U2 songs on alternative/indie radio again, because our mainstream radio is so awful, I never listen to it.

I remember differently.

Agreed.
It was pretty massive for me. The 18 month wait from Rattle and Hum or whatever it was seemed like an eternity! (how times change!)

If it seemed low key to some maybe that's because it was an album track cover version on a charity album. I do remember a certain amount of excitement on MTV, radio airplay and a whole show on Channel 4 (UK) which showed every song on the album, every video made by a famous director.

I think reason for the lack of hype is that U2 never planned for a soundtrack song to be the first glimpse of their new work. I think the album delays ended up screwing up their whole marketing timeline.

Ordinary Love was probably intended to be a companion piece to a marketing campaign that was supposed to be underway during the holiday season with the full proper album complete.

Once the album was delayed (again), they couldn't change and had no control over the movie release.

Ordinary Love is probably a quasi step-child and now they're scrambling to figure out how to market "the first new U2 material in 5 years" when they never really intended for this song to be the single focal point.

Basically, I think U2 messed up.

That makes sense, though my guess is that it's a problem of circumstance rather than error on their part. We know they wanted to release in October, so this couldn't have been what they intended we hear first.

I don't think the album is "delayed" since there was no release date in the first place. No one ever talked about a definite release date. They were only "hoping" and "thinking" about a release in fall 2013. So I don't think you can call it a "delay".

And I also don't think anyone messed up. Well, maybe except U2.com, as usual, by hyping a 30 second snipped of a new U2 song as part of a movie trailer that was available all over the internet five minutes after its "exclusive" premiere. Apart from that, I think the media is basically hyping the "first new u2 song in 5 years" stuff and it's good that way, considering they have an album release planned for (hopefully: early) 2014.

There was no release date, but Bono did require Gay Byrne to air his interview outside of its regular October schedule so that it didn't overlap with the release promotions. Sounds like it was pretty well intended and got pushed back before an announcement was made.

I think reason for the lack of hype is that U2 never planned for a soundtrack song to be the first glimpse of their new work. I think the album delays ended up screwing up their whole marketing timeline.

Ordinary Love was probably intended to be a companion piece to a marketing campaign that was supposed to be underway during the holiday season with the full proper album complete.

Once the album was delayed (again), they couldn't change and had no control over the movie release.

Ordinary Love is probably a quasi step-child and now they're scrambling to figure out how to market "the first new U2 material in 5 years" when they never really intended for this song to be the single focal point.

Basically, I think U2 messed up.

It does appear to be something of a marketing faux pas. Ofc Ordinary Love will be touted by media outlets as "the first new U2 song in four years", and by extension U2's "new direction" with Danger Mouse at the helm. Assuming that the new album is just around the corner, Ordinary Love will have diluted a significant amount of the "surprise factor" that always accompanies a new U2 campaign. To put it bluntly - it's a bit of a buzz killer.

I reckon there's no hype right now as there's nothing to hype. And everybody's finally getting tired of bullshit rumours and hyping that up, so we're just deflated and wait for some proper news to turn up.

hopefully the hype/excitement will kick in some time soon (otherwise, U2 should start to worry that no-one cares any more :D )

Oh it will, these things move in cycles. We're now in a down time, this'll change as soon as there'll be a new rumour or dare I say some news from u2.com. Then slowly the hype will start again until we're back at full force like a few weeks ago. Aaaand repeat.

I'd say we will hear the first single off the album in late-January or early-February. If Ordinary Love doesn't get a lot of airplay (and I think it's not meant to) then it will be mostly forgotten by that point, regardless of how good it is.

Why would U2 promote Ordinary Love, a song they doesn't even get a regular release?
As far as I know it will be get a Record Store Day only release and (possibly) be on a soundtrack.

No Line was announced December 18..

I suppose we could get a new announcement this month, to capitalize on the attention that Ordinary Love is already getting. (or, draw attention from?)

It does appear to be something of a marketing faux pas. Ofc Ordinary Love will be touted by media outlets as "the first new U2 song in four years", and by extension U2's "new direction" with Danger Mouse at the helm. Assuming that the new album is just around the corner, Ordinary Love will have diluted a significant amount of the "surprise factor" that always accompanies a new U2 campaign. To put it bluntly - it's a bit of a buzz killer.

Did Night and Day dilute the surprise factor for Achtung Baby?

Did Hold Me, Kiss Me... dilute the surprise factor for POP?

Did The Ground Beneath Her Feet dilute the surprise factor for ATCYLB?

Did The Hands that Built America dilute the surprise factor for HTDAAB?

Did Window in the Skies dilute the surprise factor for NLOTH?

Buzzkiller? Really? That's some funny shit. For all you know, the next album could sound nothing like Ordinary Love. Come on, you're a U2 fan. You gotta keep shit on an even keel. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom