More ATYCLB songs on last leg of Vertigo tour because of U218 Release?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think there's any connection between u218 and the last leg's supposed setlist. I mean, they've played several songs from Boy, several from Achtung, now they're adding a couple more from ATYCLB.

they're good songs that go over well live. that's why they are playing them.

Chizip said:

Yeah I just think it's almost criminal that there hasn't been a full band performance of any Zooropa song on US soil

:hmm: New2

"The Wanderer" was performed full band in the US once. That is the ONLY full band performance of a song from Zooropa in the United States of America. Granted it wasn't at a concert, but it's still the only song that technically fits the criteria.

Last edited:
because acoustic versions are stripped versions of the songs, I do love the acoustic songs they play but it would be better to hear full versions, thats the difference

Beyond Dirty Day or Crashed Car, which Zoorapa songs could a full band play electric and actually have it work in a arena/stadium?

Could Bono have reliably sung the falsetto in Lemon in '97/'01/'05?

The_acrobat said:

"The Wanderer" was performed full band in the US once. That is the ONLY full band performance of a song from Zooropa in the United States of America. Granted it wasn't at a concert, but it's still the only song that technically fits the criteria.

It was done way more than once on U.S. soil. :wink:

Regarding the whole Zooropa full band argument. Really, the only Zooropa songs that worked at a full band level to me were Stay (which is almost acoustic, just add drums and a little bass) and Dirty Day. Obviously Dirty Day wasnt done for most markets. Daddy's Gonna Pay and Lemon were pretty much karoeke anyway. I would rather they play it acoustic live over singing over a pre recorded version anyday.

Regarding the topic of the thread. I think its in part because Elevation was cancelled for Australia, part because of the greatest hits (IE Saints) and part because the band felt like playing a few of those songs.

U2FanPeter said:

Beyond Dirty Day or Crashed Car, which Zoorapa songs could a full band play electric and actually have it work in a arena/stadium?

Could Bono have reliably sung the falsetto in Lemon in '97/'01/'05?

Zooropa, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Stay, The Wanderer like the Johnny Cash tribute.... not that there's any chance of this songs being played, besides Stay and I never mentioned they would work in an arena/stadium, well actually in Europe they probably could have

and no even in 93 Bono struggled with Lemon, there's no way he could pull it off this days

forgot to mention, my discussion with you was your logic behind the Zooropa song list you made not that I was expecting them to play this songs live

Last edited:
Zooropa, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Stay, The Wanderer like the Johnny Cash tribute....

Did you ever hear their attempts, in Europe '93, of tracks like Zooropa and Babyface that were abandoned after a handful of shows? Has "Days" ever been rehearsed for a live performance?

my discussion with you was your logic behind the Zooropa song list you made

To show that U2 have acknowledged a good deal(10 examples) of Zoorapa era penned/recorded/released material when uptight fans say "never on US soil".

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Larry/Adam Mission Impossible theme was used as part of the Pop Musik intro of US dates in 1997. Plus "crashed car" got a lyrical callout in chicago 9/2005

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:

Did you ever hear their attempts, in Europe '93, of tracks like Zooropa and Babyface that were abandoned after a handful of shows? Has "Days" ever been rehearsed for a live performance?

To show that U2 have acknowledged a good deal(10 examples) of Zoorapa era penned/recorded/released material when uptight fans say "never on US soil".

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Larry/Adam Mission Impossible theme was used as part of the Pop Musik intro of US dates in 1997.

well you asked which could be played full band, and Zooropa didn't sound bad, Babyface was like Numb not exactly a live tune

Just because some songs got penned in the Zooropa sessions don't count, Sometimes started in the Pop sessions would you use the same logic in that case??

And the Mission Impossible theme and Lemon mix being played over the PA doesn't count either, Grace was played during the Elevation Tour does that count also?

at the end of the day only Stay and First Time have been played and only by Bono and Edge, Wanderer on a tribute show could also count but it wasn't played to a live audience/concert

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mofo Just because some songs got penned in the Zooropa sessions don't count, Sometimes started in the Pop sessions would you use the same logic in that case??

Neither of us know how finished the songs were - But U2 felt the several songs were notworthy enough to secretly put on the front of their album cover. What was the subject matter of Sometimes in 1996/7 with Hewson Snr. still alive and kicking? Had Edge learnt the diminished chord way back then?

And the Mission Impossible theme and Lemon mix being played over the PA doesn't count either, Grace was played during the Elevation Tour does that count also?

They cut the houselights and had visuals to go with the music with fans waiting patiently in their seats. Grace was played when fans were stumbling for the exits.

at the end of the day only Stay and First Time have been played and only by Bono and Edge, Wanderer on a tribute show could also count but it wasn't played to a live audience/concert

Edge at the 1993 MVA's, with full production exclusive to the show, playing the first single form a U2 album to a paying live audience and a TV audience of tens of millions?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Larry/Adam Mission Impossible theme was used as part of the Pop Musik intro of US dates in 1997. Plus "crashed car" got a lyrical callout in chicago 9/2005

I was at seveal Zooropa shows where they played Babyface and it was brilliant, the audience loved it. Zooropa worked fine, the only problem was that they only played the final third, if they had played the whole songit would have gone down a storm.

U2FanPeter said:

Neither of us know how finished the songs were - But U2 felt the several songs were notworthy enough to secretly put on the front of their album cover. What was the subject matter of Sometimes in 1996/7 with Hewson Snr. still alive and kicking? Had Edge learnt the diminished chord way back then?

u2fp

Bono-Sometimes... was a song that had been around for a few years, even before my dad had died. And it was written about him even then. I sang a version of it at the funeral, Still it wasn't complete

Edge-Bono and I had been playing around with the song since the Pop tour but there was something that wasn't quite right. When we played it together as a band it was a bit cloying, so it didn'end up going on ATYCLB. We revisited it for the new album.

my mistake that it was in the Pop sessions, it was worked on the tour, and then in the ATYCLB sessions, but is the same thing you are saying about songs being worked during Zooropa sessions and appearing later on

U2FanPeter said:

They cut the houselights and had visuals to go with the music with fans waiting patiently in their seats. Grace was played when fans were stumbling for the exits.

u2fp

i still don't agree with you pressing play for a complete song doesn't count as a performance

as for Numb and Wanderer they were each played once in the US, the main point some of the others were making is that Zooropa has been neglected for the past tours, especially during Popmart since they got Stay and The First time in Elevation/Vertigo tours

The band said there would be ATYCLB songs in this leg because Australia didn't get Elevation, plus Kite isn't on U218.

Back
Top Bottom