MOFO - over rated? under rated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
This is a song that gets a lot of praise here.

Though I like the track I am not convinced it is as original as sometimes supposed. I think there is a strong Stone Roses vibe here - if any of you have The Second Coming, I've always thought Mofo and the track 'Begging You' sound quite similar. Not in a ripping off sense but more in a 'U2 paying homage to Madchester' sense. I would rate Mofo pretty highly but from Pop I prefer Gone, LNOE, Velvet Dress and possibly IGWSHA. Just a personal opinion mind.

The screaming guitar bits from Edge are some of his coolest work ever. I wish they'd play this live, and let Edge rework it and make it even meaner, like they did with Zoo Station on this tour.

If anything it is under-rated. Just watch the Euro MTV awards performance if you have doubts.

Sooth me mother...
Rule me father...
Woo me sister...
Move me brother...
Move me a mountain...
Move me a mountain...

I think it's a great song but I think it's a bit overrated, like the whole "Pop" album is, by some people on this site. I also think it's probably underrated as a song(and the Pop album is underrated as a collection of songs) by alot of other people who aren't big enough fans to visit this site)- As in alot of things the truth is in the middle somewhere.

Last edited:
If anything, it sounds like the Chemical Brothers, but it's still underrated. Keep in mind, that's really Larry playing the drums (even though there is some drummachine stuff). It's funny that they actually made a great techno track and still played their instruments.

I always wonder what it would sound like if they made it so it could only be the four of them playing instruments, no backing tracks or loops or anything... but still. SO GOOD. I wouldn't say it's a greatest U2 song, but it has huuuge experimentation value and that creative edge that makes you wonder where they could go. And so haunting!

imo it's a smidge overrated but it's okay because it's a good song

who could deny edge's unique guitar sounds in the song?
I cannot.

After seeing and hearing this song live (In Los Angeles) on the PopMart tour...it became one of my all time favorites......

...the video of the Tour proves it, experiencing it live was priceless.

Mofo is a mind-blowing song :drool: :drool:

Yes, I know some of you could think that it´s quite overrated, but one thing I´m sure of: it´s underrated by the band, as the whole Pop album :sad:

I think it's overrated on this forum, and probably largely unknown by most casual fans. My opinion is, I personally can't stand it because it reminds me of a jackhammer when I have a headache. However, I know that Bono put a lot of himself into the song and I respect that, I only regret it didn't give his mother a more beautiful sounding tribute. When I hear the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" I think of Bono's mum. His dad got a beautiful song in SYCMIYO, his mother deserves something like that, not this train wreck of a song :(

Mofo reminds me of U2's early '80's work. It's a powerhouse performance, but leaves the listener feeling slammed when it's all said and done. Sinead famously called this aspect of U2 bombastic. For better, for worse, Mofo fits into that category of U2 songs.

Some of U2's songs are better as live performances than others. Mofo is one of them. People come to the shows to party with the band & this one gets them PUMPED UP!!! For this reason, Mofo is
underrated. Need more songs like this!

Mofo, like Pop on the whole, is horribly under-rated by the general public (and by certain people at this forum who feel the need to voice their negative opinions on the Pop era U2 in virtually every thread that mentions its name.)

Incredible song! One of U2's best in my opinion. Also some of Bono's best lyrics. Any writing that can effectively mix the loss of one's mother, doubt about one's faith, and dropping LSD is worth paying attention to.

Under-rated.

It's one of their most under-rated songs. The studio version is good but live, it's mind-blowing. Please play it already!

coemgen said:
It's funny that they actually made a great techno track and still played their instruments.

That's why I love this song :heart:

coemgen said:
If anything, it sounds like the Chemical Brothers, but it's still underrated. Keep in mind, that's really Larry playing the drums (even though there is some drummachine stuff). It's funny that they actually made a great techno track and still played their instruments.

Good post

overrated

GibsonGirl said:
(and by certain people at this forum who feel the need to voice their negative opinions on the Pop era U2 in virtually every thread that mentions its name.)

Well, there are also certain people who feel the need to voice their negative opinion on anything U2 post 2000 in virtually every thread that mentions Pop, 90s U2 or ATYCLB/HTDAAB.

Re: overrated

U2girl said:

Well, there are also certain people who feel the need to voice their negative opinion on anything U2 post 2000 in virtually every thread that mentions Pop, 90s U2 or ATYCLB/HTDAAB.

My saying that there are people who continually criticise late 90s U2 to the point of boring everyone else in the forum does not mean I side with the people who continually criticise U2's post-2000 work. I don't like it when the same people repeatedly say negative things about ATYCLB/HTDAAB either.

I think the album track is fairly overrated... but live? I think it's one of U2's best. And it's easily one of my favorite songs. So, like someone already said, it's just rated. lol.

Back
Top Bottom