MOFO - over rated? under rated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: overrated

GibsonGirl said:

My saying that there are people who continually criticise late 90s U2 to the point of boring everyone else in the forum does not mean I side with the people who continually criticise U2's post-2000 work. I don't like it when the same people repeatedly say negative things about ATYCLB/HTDAAB either.

Fair enough, don't want you to think I was attacking you or your post, just tried to say the same sentiment can be applied for both sides.

Hoodlem said:
If anything it is under-rated. Just watch the Euro MTV awards performance if you have doubts.

Sooth me mother...
Rule me father...
Woo me sister...
Move me brother...
Move me a mountain...
Move me a mountain...

you took the words right out of my mouth.. I was thinking exactly the same.

Mofo is an amazing song I think that some don't "rate" it enough! Overrating is fine by me!!!!:wink: especially for Mofo!

I used to not like it, really

But I've come aroudn to it, and I listen to it a lot these days.

I heard part of a live version from 1997, but only 1:27 seconds of it, so I couldn't really say. It was alright, though I'm sure it had backing tracks.

Ok, here's something controversial that's sure to stir some emotions,

The 'been around back, been around front' background thing is weak compared to Vertigo's 'hola's and donde esta's'. The latter generates much more momentum for it's host song.

For Honor said:
I used to not like it, really

But I've come aroudn to it, and I listen to it a lot these days.

I heard part of a live version from 1997, but only 1:27 seconds of it, so I couldn't really say. It was alright, though I'm sure it had backing tracks.

Here's a full live version for you:

http://s39.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=06FN9GA9BJ8BQ0XVQYTH8ORB90

One of the most brilliant things about Popmart.

"Mother...mother sucking rock and ROLL!"

RocknRollKitty said:
His dad got a beautiful song in SYCMIYO, his mother deserves something like that, not this train wreck of a song :(

Mofo > Sometimes(not that I dislike Sometimes, it's good in its own right too)

Being fairly new to U2, the first time I heard anything of Mofo was on the ElevationDVD where they showed a preview of Popmart from mexico when they kicked off with that song. It sounded great but it isn't quite as strong on the album. A little flat perhaps. Still, it's a good song, very bleak and haunting and I like the Edge's ringing guitar breaks towards the end.

That God-Shaped Hole that is MOFO!

Definitely better live accompanied by Edge's SOARING guitar effects and Bono's impassioned singing:drool:

I'd say overall it's neither overrated or underrated.

Great song both musically & lyrically.

The live version I've seen (the one on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD) is so cool and makes me wish I'd have seen them live during the POPMART era.

unoscatorce said:
Great song both musically & lyrically.

The live version I've seen (the one on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD) is so cool and makes me wish I'd have seen them live during the POPMART era.

but thats not really a live version of the song. thats a studio remix thats layed over live concert footage. the real live version is much better :drool:

Thank you for telling me that because the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD was puzzling me. The images rarely correpsonded with the words on Mofo "live"

Now listening...

MOFFFFFFFO!!!! Live from Mexico City

:rockon: x infinity

That hopefully explains my opinion about the song. :wink:

'mother sucking rock n' roll' is a shitty line, but it's a hell of a romp, nonetheless.
probably a tad over-rated. certainly not under-rated.
i guess it's rated.

The version on Hasta La Vista Baby is just :drool: x infinity

Sooooothe me sister
Mooooove me brother
Sooooothe me sister
Mooooove me brother
Mooove me a mountaaaain
Mooove me a mountaaaain
Mooove me a mountaaaain
Mooove me a mountaaaain
Mooove me a mountaaaain loooove

:rockon: