Miracle Drug's bad ending

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
Personally, I think Miracle Drug is a very good song, and it represents classic U2. However, what keeps this song from standing out as a classic is the ending. Does anyone else notice this? It's like they couldn't think of an ending and just slapped a "the end" on the end of the song. The song is uplifting and emotional, but it doesn't leave me that uplifted because it has that sad, anti-climactic sound at the end. Maybe they did this because it flows into Sometimes better. This only takes away from Miracle Drug, though. I just wish MD had a better ending, and it could have been a classic. Anyone else agree?

I was a bit suprised by the abrupt ending on first listen too, i like bonos fading out voice thing he does at the end though.
Not sure why they did that, not sure why xanax, smile, and mercy were left off the bomb wither, LOL!!!!!

great song and album though!

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! The ending was screwed! They built up all this momentum and just knocked it all down before it reached a magnificent height. I love MD to death but rework the ending and extend it to make so much better!

Same with IALW. I like both songs, but thought both would have been better had they worked on the endings just a little more.

... There's a problem with the ending?

Hadn't noticed.

Oh wait, that's because there is no problem.

AussieU2fanman said:
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! The ending was screwed! They built up all this momentum and just knocked it all down before it reached a magnificent height. I love MD to death but rework the ending and extend it to make so much better!

I also couldn't agree with you more! I really like this song, but whywhywhy that ending? IMO this song could have been a studio classic if the ending were better. Picky? yes. reasonable criticism? absolutely.

I reckon it will sound fantastic live. I personally dont have any problem with the ending. When im singing-a-long to it in the car...im glad it finishes when it does, cos my voice cant take anymore!:wink:

i also didnt notice a problem with the ending?!
just listening again, hang on...
...ah, i see.
can't say i dislike it or think its a problem but do see where you're coming from

u2 are amazing in giving instrumental outros to their best songs (wyowy, one, streets, uteotw, bd). they work perfect as a ... i don't know... pressure release maybe after the emotional final chorus.
i think miracle drug requires something like that also instead of the abrupt end imediately after (almost during) the last chorus

I would have preferred maybe a different ending, but the song is still amazing!!! I've had it stuck in my head the last few days at work

I dont think it ends up abruptly at all. After Edge's killer solo and then Bono's outro lyrics and melody (which remind of the "in the stillness of the evening..." ending in New York) - there's no place else to go.

Fitting ending for a brilliant song.

great ending to great song...but i agree that a transition into another song could make it better...we'll see

bedouin fire said:
u2 are amazing in giving instrumental outros to their best songs (wyowy, one, streets, uteotw, bd). they work perfect as a ... i don't know... pressure release maybe after the emotional final chorus.

I would add COBL to this list...a great instrumental outro. Edge's rhythm guitar is amazing.

After listening to it again a couple of times today - I can sort of understand what you're saying about the ending - it could've been done differently. But it's stuck on me the way it is now, so I like it just fine

I think the ending sounds a lot like the end of Streets, because I was listening to Streets the other day and when it ended I reflexively started singing 'Sometimes'. :eyebrow:

innocent_eyes said:
I was a bit suprised by the abrupt ending on first listen too, i like bonos fading out voice thing he does at the end though.
Not sure why they did that, not sure why xanax, smile, and mercy were left off the bomb wither, LOL!!!!!

great song and album though!

Xanax, Smile and mercy were left out so you can pay $150 for the Complete U2.

Back
Top Bottom