miracle drug vs. original of the species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
ok, these are obviously the two best songs on htdaab. but which one is the better and why?

U2Man said:
ok, these are obviously the two best songs on htdaab. but which one is the better and why?

Are we forgetting City of Blinding Lights?

OOTS > Miracle Drug

Guitar during chorus.

I like the ambition of OOTS but it doesn't come off for me. So, I'd go with MD.

agreed. these are the two best songs.

OOTS wins. nothing beats the final :45 or so, ecstatic sonic clench that's just sad and bittersweet enough not to be gross.

Irvine511 said:
agreed. these are the two best songs.

OOTS wins. nothing beats the final :45 or so, ecstatic sonic clench that's just sad and bittersweet enough not to be gross.

MD's final 1:13 > OOTS' final :45

Miracle Drug falls apart musically as soon as the song goes into the "Freedom has..." line. Most of the song sounds really laboured to me, to be honest.

pepokiss said:
MD

the intro

the solo

EDGE

[/thread]

only one addition,

Edge singing

:drool:

srsly that bridge gives me shivers down my spine! It's my favourite song from Bomb!

:shifty: and I can play it on guitar... that might help too

I like both but if I had to chose it's Miracle Drug. Now the Remix of OOS is way better than it's original studio cut.

I wouldn't agree with the two best, but my vote goes for MD, mainly because of the sharing of lines between Edge and Bono.

Probably Original. I agree with Canadiens, Miracle Drug sounds laboured, and in my opinion it's about as stale and souless as I've ever heard U2. Everyone raves about the last minute, but IMO it sounds like it was something they put together in 3 minutes on autopilot. It's the exact minute that we normally hear from bands that try and mimic U2, and fail in landing it in quite the same way as U2. Except this time it's U2 doing it, and come off sounding like a bad generic attempt by Coldplay at pulling a U2 or something. Make sense?

As for Original, better song, better tune, better everything except for Bono's delivery. After the first time I pictured him behind the microphone in the studio gesturing like a boyband member, hand over heart and oh so serious look on his face, I can't not get that image everytime I hear it. It's like he's trying too hard to sound sincere, and comes off as anything but.

t8thgr8 said:
miracle drug shouldve been a bside

Agreed. OOTS is a really good song and should have been a proper single instead of ABOY.
Fast Cars and COBL would be my fave tracks.
Miracle drug was good live but on the album....urgh, I hated it!!

OOTS. If they ever wrote a perfect pop song this is it. Bittersweet lyrics from parent to a child, beautiful piano and the most joyous Edge's guitar has ever been. It really feels like they captured Lennon/McCartney spirit in this one.

MD to me is like the Walk on off ATYCLB; both songs try too hard to be epic. Instead, COBL (best song on the album) and Kite do the same thing much better.

LyricalDrug said:
Both songs are soooooo agonizingly close to being "great" U2 songs, but there's something missing in each of them for me. That's kind of how I feel about all of "Bomb."

thats because of bono's absence during the sessions. if he were there to bounce ideas off of instead of popping in and out, here and there, i believe it would be a different story. thats whats been missing for the past 7 years. thats why both albums feel so incomplete.

U2girl said:
Instead, COBL (best song on the album)

why oh WHY does this false statement keep appearing on this board??? :rant:

there are, at the very least, 4 songs on htdaab that are better than that streets-wannabe with lame joe cocker-lyrics.

Strange and somehow sad, to see so many people here bitching around two songs, that from my point of view belong to the best, U2 have written in the last years.
- "Miracle Drug" moved me from the first seconds, I heard (the old "beach clips", as somebody might remember) until today. Live it was simply overwhelming, especially with Bono & The Edge doin' the outros across the ellipse, throwing and ad-lipping the words to each other. Another special moment happened in Dublin, when Christopher Nolan was in the audience – and Bono performed very intense.
- "Original Of The Species" is another gem: studio-wise and live, the very stripped down piano performances (folks, just listen to NYC 05/21/05 or Dublin 06/27/05) or the electric performance in Amsterdam (that is by far better than the Milan versions, where Bono unfortunately had no voice...).
So, to chose on of those? Both!

U2Man said:

there are, at the very least, 4 songs on htdaab that are better than that streets-wannabe with lame joe cocker-lyrics.

You've never heard of his song With a Little Help From My Friends? They have great lyrics!

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom