Miracle Drug - Edge vocal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JCOSTER said:
definately Edge they sound very similiar, and do harmonize quite a bit together. Edge has a beautiful voice.:wink:

Much like Bono, Edge has a good voice. But also, like Bono, there's both greatness and weakness.

While Bono might not be at his LoveTown Tour hey-day any more, his operatic notes on "Sometimes..." and "Miss Sarajevo" combined with his powerful outbursts on "Vertigo" and falsettos on songs like "Mysterious Ways" shows he still has it. Bono has a richness to his voice - and on his best days, he's better than any lead singer.

However, because Bono tries to hit those high notes night after night, this leads to scratchiness. On this tour, Bono has been amazingly strong. While there are off nights, I even heard off nights on the ZOO TV tour. And gone are the ridiculously scratchy performances like he had at the 2002 Super Bowl (where the performance was good, but poor "MLK" was butchered). Still, this scratchiness has haunted Bono since '95. Hence, Edge comes in handy. ;)

Edge, because he's not belting out song after song with his voice, can sometimes hit notes that Bono can't. He certainly has a very pleasant voice with a wonderful vibrato. However, he lacks the power and richness Bono has. His voice often sounds weak to my ears and I know he couldn't do the operatic bits in "Miss Sarajevo".

As a result, Edge is a fantastic back-up singer - complimenting Bono beautifully. Together, the two harmonize exquisitely, as exemplified in songs like "Wild Honey" or the acoustic version of "Staring at the Sun" (far better than the album version).

Should Edge sing more? Little solos like the ones in "Miracle Drug" are great and I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind a token song on an album here and there (ala "Van Diemen's Land"). However, I know many U2 fans who would NOT prefer Edge as the lead singer.

Besides, with Edge writing the music, playing numerous guitars and effects, and playing keyboards and sometimes even bass ("40"), I think he has more than enough to do in concert and on the album. ;)

Last edited:
the acoustic version of "Staring at the Sun" (far better than the album version).

:ohmy:
I'd love to hear it acoustic. I know the harmony you're talking about because it's present on the new mix on TBO1990-2000. I love it to bits and I alllllways do Edge's bits whenever I hear it.
I'd love it if Edge did more harmonies or bit parts in songs, but I do agree with Bono being the lead. (What else would he do in the band? Tambourine?! ::Larry facepalm::)
I kid, I kid.
Maybe.

LJ. Bonoffee.
Haha! Hi!!!

I dunno if I'd trust Bono with a tambourine all the time... There goes your rhythm section. ;)

HI! *waves*

I'd never suggest Edge being lead, but I love him singing wherever. There's more of a thrill, I guess, 'cause it doesn't happen all the time. I have a live version of Wild Honey and he does Bono's part in the middle, it's great.

chickadee said:
I have a live version of Wild Honey and he does Bono's part in the middle, it's great.

I've never heard this - could you please post a YSI link for this song?

Um, I'm not sure. I uploaded it ages ago but since then my computer's gone on a strike when it comes to up/downloading. I'll try, but I really can't promise anything. I might be able to go it via MSN sometime, if that's any use for you! Sorry, lol, my net connection is rubbish. *sighs*

chickadee said:
Um, I'm not sure. I uploaded it ages ago but since then my computer's gone on a strike when it comes to up/downloading. I'll try, but I really can't promise anything. I might be able to go it via MSN sometime, if that's any use for you! Sorry, lol, my net connection is rubbish. *sighs*

Would it be easier to send you my email addy? Or if uploading is just not going to work out, do you have any info on which show it's from? Maybe I can locate it on a torrent or request it. Sorry about your internet connection problems, they are a pain.

Lynn said:

Hey Steve! How've you been?

:wave:

:D

Great! I'll drop an email soon. But I don't want to hijack this thread much longer....so..

um...

...it's definitely Edge. Yup, definitely Edge.

:wink:

Utoo said:

Great! I'll drop an email soon. But I don't want to hijack this thread much longer....so..

um...

...it's definitely Edge. Yup, definitely Edge.

:wink:

If it's Edge singing Wild Honey -- I want a copy!!! :drool:

:D

Lynn said:

Would it be easier to send you my email addy? Or if uploading is just not going to work out, do you have any info on which show it's from? Maybe I can locate it on a torrent or request it. Sorry about your internet connection problems, they are a pain.

It's Las Vegas on the Elevation tour, can't remember the date. Feel free to email me your address and I can have a go! bonoffee@gmail.com :)

It really makes me wonder...

Does Edge really sound so much like Bono? Sure the elitists here can tell the two voices apart straightaway ("oh Bono's voice is slightly rougher" :blahblah: )

Or is Edge so talented he can change the natural characteristic of his voice to suit Bono's? Nothing is too big for this man. If there's a god on earth now, he is it.

i_love_adam said:
It really makes me wonder...

Does Edge really sound so much like Bono? Sure the elitists here can tell the two voices apart straightaway ("oh Bono's voice is slightly rougher" :blahblah: )

Or is Edge so talented he can change the natural characteristic of his voice to suit Bono's? Nothing is too big for this man. If there's a god on earth now, he is it.

Edge & Bono have very similar singing voices that blend really well. Edge has the more crystal tenor I think, and Bono has more soul and passion in his voice. Edge is an extremely talented guy but I honestly don't think he's changed his voice intentionally to suit Bono's. The easiest way to hear the early-on similarities & variances is to listen to Seconds. PM me if you don't have the song, I'll be glad to email it to you. " . . . god on earth . . ." hmmmm...somehow I doubt Edge would appreciate the sentiment, but I know what you mean. :)

I was listening to an Elevation boot last night and Edge's vocals on some song were the most gorgeous fucking thing I had ever heard. I can't even remember which song, probably Stuck, but... OH LORD I nearly drove off the road. And then Bono hit these unbelievable notes in In a Little While... :drool:

Portland, April 15, 2001. LISTEN.

Back
Top Bottom