Miracle Drug: 2nd Single Off HTDAAB Where I Come From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
A few weeks ago, I saw the Miracle Drug CD UK performance in MTV. I thought brushed it aside as a one off thing.

Then last week and this week, I saw it more and more. It's like part of the regular rotation on MTV now.

Meanwhile, I have yet to see ABOY or Sometimes on MTV.

So I guess Miracle Drug is sort of the second single released here in Asia, getting so much play on MTV Asia.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Cheers,

J

It sounds like an obvious single to me too. And I think it would have been a great second single. The problem is, if you release the ballad third, that means you've released songs 1-2-3 in order, which is for some reason...a little tacky. I don't know why it should matter, but it makes the album seem too toploaded.

It's sad that the foreign MTV stations seem to be so much more daring with their programming then their American counterpart. When they do show videos (for 3 hours in the middle of the night), it's usually the same crap on TRL.

Even MTV2 is a shadow of what it used to be when it started. Remember when band members used to come on and play whatever the hell they wanted. It's sad that I'm now nostalgic for the old MTV2. I feel old.

I will add that the CD UK Miracle Drug is pretty amazing. I watch it fairly often myself, and can see why someone would take a chance on putting it into rotation. Don't be surprised if this winds up being the next single after the ABOY/Sometimes exchange is finished.

Then you bring out OOTS for Christmas and save the world.

laz

jick said:
A few weeks ago, I saw the Miracle Drug CD UK performance in MTV. I thought brushed it aside as a one off thing.

Then last week and this week, I saw it more and more. It's like part of the regular rotation on MTV now.

Meanwhile, I have yet to see ABOY or Sometimes on MTV.

So I guess Miracle Drug is sort of the second single released here in Asia, getting so much play on MTV Asia.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Cheers,

J

Yup the same thing has been happening here in India. Channel V and MTV have been airing the CD UK performance on a fairly regular basis.....

wonder when we Asians will get to see the 'Sometimes....' video

would love to see Miracle Drug be an official worldwide single.... i think they should have put it out right after Vertigo

lazarus said:
but it makes the album seem too toploaded.

That's because the album is toploaded.

It's sad that the foreign MTV stations seem to be so much more daring with their programming then their American counterpart. When they do show videos (for 3 hours in the middle of the night), it's usually the same crap on TRL.

Someone should make a channel devoted to rock music in the U.S. MTV is pathetic. They don't even play songs 1/3 of the time, and when they do they're all pop or rap. :mad: What the hell do they think the 'M' stands for???

lazarus said:
It sounds like an obvious single to me too. And I think it would have been a great second single. The problem is, if you release the ballad third, that means you've released songs 1-2-3 in order, which is for some reason...a little tacky. I don't know why it should matter, but it makes the album seem too toploaded.

laz

ATYCLB:

1 BD
2 Stuck
3 Elevation
4 Walk on

(in europe..)

I think Miracle Drug fits the Asian culture more.

Asians prefer love songs and romantic songs.

All Because Of You is too similar to Vertigo to be a hit.

Sometimes You Can't Make It isn't exactly a romantic love song. It's more of a sad or depressing or emotional song.

Miracle Drug seems to be the perfect second single for Asia. But Asians don't but cd singles so no need to make one here really.

Cheers,

J

I admit that Vertigo was indeed a perfect single.. Good song, and though the lyrics are a bit weird, then its a good single.
HTDAAB, does not have alot of singles. There are no song of the year on that album IMO. But it surely is the ALBUM of the year. Listening to the entire album gives a better sense of each song, if it makes sense..

But Miracle drug would be a far better choice as a single, than Sometimes and ABOY.. Even Yahweh has that uplifting feeling that a single should have.

Anyway, then no song from HTDAAB would become no.1 if it wasn´t for those people who buy copy after copy because they want the song to reach no.1..

I have heard All because of you on the radio here twice in the last month, and no Sometimes... :shrug:

I think both are good choices; Sometimes is the ultimate slow song/ballad of the album and Because is a fast, catchy song. (this song and Crumbs immediately seemed like singles when I first listened to the album)

My singles would be: Vertigo, Sometimes, Drug (I would say City instead, but I don't see how they'd shorten it without losing the song essence), Original. And Crumbs if there's any steam left in the album.

U2girl said:
I would say City instead, but I don't see how they'd shorten it without losing the song essence

That complaint has been posted a lot, but I really don't think it's true, as quite a number of stations have been playing COBL in full.

Also, I'd like to add that A Man And A Woman has apparently been in heavy rotation on the most major radio station here on the Gold Coast. Apparently it's proving very popular. (I don't listen to the radio myself, but people who do always mention AMAAW with praise.)

discothequeLP said:
jick where do you live in the philippines?

Cebu City.

But we get the MTV Asia feed just as everyone else. I even think its the same telecast as India as someone just said Miracle Drug has been on heavy rotation there too.

Cheers,

J

Axver said:

That complaint has been posted a lot, but I really don't think it's true, as quite a number of stations have been playing COBL in full.

Also, I'd like to add that A Man And A Woman has apparently been in heavy rotation on the most major radio station here on the Gold Coast. Apparently it's proving very popular. (I don't listen to the radio myself, but people who do always mention AMAAW with praise.)

Yes, but radios can do that - I meant shortening of the song for the video (Sometimes has been edited a bit, and it's a shorter song) - but if it can be done good, bring on City by all means :yes:

It's interesting how many different songs are playing on the radio - A man and woman, City and Because all seem to be getting lots of airplay.

jick said:

Cebu City.

But we get the MTV Asia feed just as everyone else. I even think its the same telecast as India as someone just said Miracle Drug has been on heavy rotation there too.

Cheers,

J

jick, i was just there on the week after new year's. my dad used to live there back in the 80s. you play golf, right? when we went we played Alta Vista again and the Country Club

discothequeLP said:

jick, i was just there on the week after new year's. my dad used to live there back in the 80s. you play golf, right? when we went we played Alta Vista again and the Country Club

What a small world. When are you coming back here again? Drop me an email, and let's set up a game. I do play Cebu Country Club often as it is just a block away from my place. I was the club champion there two years ago and have been trying ever since to win it again (got stuck in the semis the past two years!).

I'm not too fond of Alta Vista, it's too short and too narrow - it's not really a competetive course. What is your handicap index? How often do you play?

Cheers,

J

discothequeLP said:
jick, have you heard of anyone named thirdy?

I know a Thirdy. What a small world after all. How'd you know him? Shoot me a private email at atyclb4ever@yahoo.com and let's talk about golf and the Philippines, and see if we are talking about the same thirdy... this doesn't really belong here in a public U2 forum.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
Wow, someone who may indirectly know jick? This could really put to rest the "jick's a phony" comments from one other thread ...

Axver said:
Wow, someone who may indirectly know jick? This could really put to rest the "jick's a phony" comments from one other thread ...

Which thread? Hope you can point it out to me. I have never hid under the guise of someone else, and have never ever registered here using multiple aliases (the mods can confirm that).

And my real identity has never been a secret as I have always been trading bootlegs since the late 90's, so fellow U2 fans sort of know I'm no phony.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
Will they ever show Sometimes video on Channel [V] or MTV Asia/India???? I still havent seen the video.

Miracle Drug on CD:UK was a solid performance, however All Because of You would make a better single in this part of the world.

ishkash said:
Will they ever show Sometimes video on Channel [V] or MTV Asia/India???? I still havent seen the video.

Miracle Drug on CD:UK was a solid performance, however All Because of You would make a better single in this part of the world.

Im sure they will show the Sometimes..... video on Channel V and MTV, it will take a while though

i think Miracle Drug is the ideal follow up to Vertigo anywhere in the world, it would probably be a stronger single than ABOY

Well surely Miracle Drug is a better song than All Because of You in my books. However talking from a perspective of commercial single, I think the classic rock n roll formula of two rockers and a ballad would work better. I think ABOY is naturally a very catchy song yet quite distinct from whats being played on TV stations. Miracle Drug is too ATYCLB-ish (not that its a bad thing) hence, I favour All Because Of You.

jick said:

Which thread? Hope you can point it out to me. I have never hid under the guise of someone else, and have never ever registered here using multiple aliases (the mods can confirm that).

And my real identity has never been a secret as I have always been trading bootlegs since the late 90's, so fellow U2 fans sort of know I'm no phony.

Cheers,

J

It's one I remember a few days ago, one you posted on so there's no need to worry. Some people started questioning who you were and you responded with how you had been trading bootlegs and such.

Back
Top Bottom