miniature classic rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
I was accused of trashing what I perceived to be 'weaker" bands to make u2 better in a previous thread. well that gave me a idea about what u2;s place is in the classic rock world. And now, while u2 is #1 with me, I can say their actually not even close to being #1 in the classic rock world. And that's a fact. Should they be? Yes, of course but its not gonna happen. I'll try to make this short. Basically as far as sales, critically, commercially, and airplay on big classic rock stations u2 is a "miniature" classic rock band. All their hits "pride" "with or without you" "discoteche" "Vertigo" "where the streets have no name" "Sunday bloody Sunday" "bad" "beautiful day" "desire" "new years day" and others can;t crack the holy grail of classic rock of beatles, stones, zeppelin, Billy joel,springsteen and of course a great but WAY WAY WAY overplayed pink Floyd. Pink Floyd has the same 5 songs played over and over again. And in the case of Dylan and the doors and a few others, u2 has em beat in sales but not respect and airplay. Does any one feel u2 isn't quite on the level of these classic artists? dose anyone feel that u2 is not really lumped in with these bands whenever a classic rock "list" or something comes out. i hear u2 on classic rock radio sure, but not as much as pink Floyd. no way. This is part of the reason i still consider them alternative cause their something about them thetas not quite the same mold as the other bands i listed. What was that about them being too commercial at some points? Ha. apparently not commercial enough to get played 6,000 times a day like Floyd. I hold u2 to be a pedestal but even i know theirs still bands on much higher ones weather i like it or not.

Grammatical errors much?

U2 came after the classic rock era was over, thus they couldn't possibly be lumped in with Zeppelin or Floyd.

^ Yeah, U2 came first than all the bands and artists you mentioned. Maybe in 10/20 years time U2 will be seen another way. Probably only when they'll retire :sad:

U2 is at this time one of the greatest bands, but u can't put them up against bands that are no longer performing and/or making albums. You also have to look the fact that in countries like Australia, for example, don't give U2 the same air time as most other bands. I have asked many U2 fans that i know, and not one of them had realised that there have been 4 singles, released in Australia, from the last album.

But the question that i asked myself is to what catagory do U2 fit. Classic rock, pop, christian!!!!! They cover so many catagories with the music they make.

I used to hear New Year's Day sometimes on the local classic rock station back when I still used to listen to it, but it always seemed out of place there to me somehow. I also felt kind of upset when the local record store moved all the U2 stuff (as well as the Talking Heads and the Police) from the pop/rock section of the store to the classic rock section. I guess I don't like the music I grew up on becoming "classic" because it's a reminder I'm creeping up towards 40. :|

Bono's shades said:
I used to hear New Year's Day sometimes on the local classic rock station back when I still used to listen to it, but it always seemed out of place there to me somehow. I also felt kind of upset when the local record store moved all the U2 stuff (as well as the Talking Heads and the Police) from the pop/rock section of the store to the classic rock section. I guess I don't like the music I grew up on becoming "classic" because it's a reminder I'm creeping up towards 40. :|

:lol: :yes:

Ahh the 80's good classic rock era!!!!

Life begins at 40!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I live in Washington DC...and I got to tell ya, it's awesome!!!!

They play u2 on so many stations here, the boys get a lot of airplay.

94.7 the arrow is the classic rock station, what a great place. they were playing "COBL" a lot when they released that as a single.

RademR said:
I live in Washington DC...and I got to tell ya, it's awesome!!!!

They play u2 on so many stations here, the boys get a lot of airplay.

94.7 the arrow is the classic rock station, what a great place. they were playing "COBL" a lot when they released that as a single.

I wish the radio stations would play U2 more often here in Victoria, Australia.

Then i wouldn't have to carry the entire collection in the car for the cd player.

should invest in a mp3!!!!!

The only song that has had regular air time is Vertigo. I can't listen to it any more. They have played that song to death.

i understand what someone said about those bands i listed being around longer then u2, . however, when those bands were at thier respective 26 year mark back in early 90's, thier were already at this level . its realy just been more of the same since. u2 just seems not quite as accepted . like thier classic rock jr,lol but they have all these hits and such. and are alot better at thier 26 year make then they were.

babyman said:
I find it so cool that you can't associate U2 to nothing of what you call "classic rock world", because U2 is a world of its own

True. They're just too different and too special to catagorize. :drool: I've seem them be called "Brit Rock" before....:huh:

Are u2 not that great or is it Billy Joel is that much better? lol.. I mean has like 6,000 hits and u2 has like , 400 compared to him. :) he was at his 26 year mark in 98 99 and he was pretty secure in his legacy. That is one artist who, kinda makes u2;'s accomplishments look small and "cute" ,lol. That might be part of the reason u2 still isn't quite regarded as untouchable legends.

Last edited:
Classic rock only means 'the old shit'
U2 are there with certain albums.
I've heard Achtung sinlges on my classic rock station, but it's also about a certain style.

An old school rock and roll, you wouldn't hear Numb and Discotheque and many of the same stations playing CCR and The Eagles ever other hour.

U2 will never be in this gang, 1- because they never really bought into this style 2-because they simply aren't old enough

who cares, really? The classic stations of 1970 weren't blaring the Beatles, it's all relative to the audience they are trying to reach, to make a buck.

if they had brought into this style they would be in the cirlce of these bands. but then they wouldn't be uniqe then :)

Back
Top Bottom