Mike Hedges: What's his worth as U2's newest producer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zargo

The Fly
What does everyone think Mike Hedges? worth is as U2?s producer/Mixer?

I ask this because it occurred to me that U2 may consider Mike Hedges as the producer for their new album. Mike Hedges has been one of the producers they have worked with the most recently, along with William Orbit.

We all know Eno, Flood, Lillywhite, &Lanois have all put their trademark stamps on the U2 songs they have produced. Lillywhite has been there since the beginning, helping U2 evolve along the way. Eno & Lanois have been almost like unofficial members since 1984, often playing additional instruments and putting more than their 2 cents in on some of the greatest U2 songs. Flood?s techno & progressive stylings are all over Zooropa & Pop.

So, what does Mike Hedge add, if anything, to the U2 ?sound??

Below is a list of U2 songs Mike Hedges has produced/mixed:

Peace on Earth
2 promo mixes of: Walk On (Hallelujah mix)
Gone (new Mix)
Numb (New Mix)
Discotheque (New Mix)
Staring At the Sun (New Mix)

hedges did his best to destroy dicoteque, but its still tolerable. why theyd screw around with such a good song, ill never know, but the other songs he remixed are quite good.

I don't really care for Peace on Earth, but that's as much the writing as the producing. I love the Hallelujah mix of Walk On. The Best Of remixes are decent enough. So, in general, I guess this guy is alright.

I like what Mike Hedges has done. Too bad he wasn't the original producer of POP. It would have easily been my 3rd favorite U2 album.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Of all the U2 songs listed that Hedges has worked on, the only one I don't like is the new mix of Discoteque. Not a bad batting average so far...

Does anyone know what other artists Hedges has worked with?

bonoman said:
WE WANT HOWIE B back!!!!

It could be argued that he was quite inspirational in making U2 sound the least U2ish of all the producers. That makes some people very happy and others very sad.

Bono's shades said:
Does anyone know what other artists Hedges has worked with?

Albums where Mike Hedge's name appears in credits:
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?WRD=Mike+Hedges&qsrch=A&userid=53EB5HZ1JI

Some cool artists there. Interestingly, on Everything But the Girl's "Like Deserts Miss the Rain" Hedges worked with another U2 regular, Mark "Spike" Stent (and Nellee Hooper). Also was a producer on Travis's "The Man Who" with Nigel Godrich (who redid Walk On).

melon said:
U2 needs to bring back Flood.

:sexywink:

Melon

I agree 100% !!!

Hedge's production doesn't really have an identity. I wasn't too impressed with "Hallelujah Mix" of "Walk On" and the new mixes don't show case anything new or spectacular (I do like the mixes, though, of course I always loved the originals). Hedge's production is too pretty for me. Get The Edge at the helm, get Flood back behind the controls...

-[z]-

to me Nigel Godrich will always be the man who almost managed to make Beck sound dull
(though I don't exactly know how much of that is Beck his own fault)

right now I would vote T. Bone Burnett

Back
Top Bottom