Michael Jackson, if you're out there, I don't think you're bad.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMIS

Refugee
Zoo Tv 93 Dublin. Recently I have been looking into a lot of the band's past. they were on fire during zoo tv, I think they were at their freakin best. I just wanted to ask some people who were there at that time (I wasn't) what they thought of bono sympathizing with michael jackson. Michael Jackson is my second fav artist.

I remember hearing this on the radio.

Supporting MJ in 1993 did not put me off. It sounded rational.

If Bono said the same thing in 2005, I'd think he was a shit head.

I agree Mr. Brau. While Jackson still technically is "innocent" as he was never found guilty in a trial, the mounting accusations against him are a bit much.

Perhaps that statement from Bono wins the "most dated" award (from all these "most dated" threads) - as it was from a time when MJ could actually be considered "innocent". :sexywink:

I am just sick to death about the whole Michael Jackson thing. Really just hearing it brought up gives me pains in my stomach and a headache. I used to like him. It all turned into a three ring circus and I lost interest altogether in him or any of his family. I feel sorry for the entire lot of them.

MrBrau1 said:

If Bono said the same thing in 2005, I'd think he was a shit head.
I wouldn't. There's a reason the jury found him to be 'not guilty' on all accusations: there's no proof the accusations are true. So it wouldn't have been wrong for Bono to support him.
doctorwho said:
While Jackson still technically is "innocent" as he was never found guilty in a trial, the mounting accusations against him are a bit much.
I actually see that as an indication that he isn't guilty. Suddenly all those parents claiming that their kids were abused... where do they come from? If it's true, why didn't they file charges earlier? It looks like everybody tries to get his bit of 'success' from the trials.

I'll be honest here MJ is my 2nd favorite artist behind U2.

the truth is he is a victim of many thing

a) his own success... everyone wants a bit of it

b) the fact that i dont think he is totally there mentally

c) he seems to be surrounded by bad advisors, in much the way that elvis was.

I don't think this is dated, and i do think he's innocent, its just a shame that we will never get much new MJ music and if we do i feel it will be more of that invincible style rnb rubbish

Yeah, about the MJ issue, its best not to judge I think. While I can never call myself his fan now, I did and do still love his songs, uptil history. Miracle_drug, you're right, I think he has lost it mentally. I can never look at him the way I did because he's been implicated in the one crime I deem unforgivable. As to his guilt or innocence, I am sure we'll never know.

Never understood all the Michael Jackson love. After Quincy Jones split it was clear who the true genius was. I guess in the early 80's that kind of freak show was fun to look at but I don't consider him much of a musical or vocal talent. And you can't hear dancing on your stereo.

I hate to drag race into it, but MJ always seemed like black music for white people to me. Very safe. It's ironic that he became "whiter" with every passing year, claiming mysterious illnesses as excuses for his bizarre cosmetic surgeries.

Prince was always able to throw down anything Michael could do plus a whole lot more. Same goes for Stevie Wonder. Ridiculous that these two are still overshadowed by a child star who represents culture's most shallow decade perfectly.

As for guilt or innocence with regard to molestation claims, the amount he settled for after the first incident seems way too high for an innocent person who had already had his name dragged through the mud and didn't have much else to lose. Maybe he didn't touch those kids, but he has an unhealthy fixation on them, and shouldn't around them or allowed to raise his own.

Michael Jackson had a song called "Bad" .. the lines go "I'm bad, I'm bad..." and Bono was probably just pulling his leg, Jackson was probably at the Dublin show, and just poked fun at him through saying that.

lazarus said:
Never understood all the Michael Jackson love. After Quincy Jones split it was clear who the true genius was. I guess in the early 80's that kind of freak show was fun to look at but I don't consider him much of a musical or vocal talent. And you can't hear dancing on your stereo.

I hate to drag race into it, but MJ always seemed like black music for white people to me. Very safe. It's ironic that he became "whiter" with every passing year, claiming mysterious illnesses as excuses for his bizarre cosmetic surgeries.

Prince was always able to throw down anything Michael could do plus a whole lot more. Same goes for Stevie Wonder. Ridiculous that these two are still overshadowed by a child star who represents culture's most shallow decade perfectly.

As for guilt or innocence with regard to molestation claims, the amount he settled for after the first incident seems way too high for an innocent person who had already had his name dragged through the mud and didn't have much else to lose. Maybe he didn't touch those kids, but he has an unhealthy fixation on them, and shouldn't around them or allowed to raise his own.

I agree with u on everything, but one. I never (at least not after thriller) liked MJ the person, just his songs, they were part of my life growing up.

Leave Michael alone, he didn't KICK the baby into the crowd or anything.

:D

All kidding aside yea, I also have that performance, it's funny to hear stuff like that. Or the Bill Clinton line from ZooTV Sydney.

I can remember when parents were happy their kids were idolizing Michael Jackson instead of those scary heavy metal dudes. It all seems so incredible now.

I'm inclinced to agree with lazarus. Jackson's early music was great, but a lot of that had to do with Quincy Jones. I think I was officially over Michael Jackson the first time I heard Prince's "Purple Rain" back in 1984. And if I had a kid I wouldn't let them within a mile of Jackson.

theu2fly said:
Michael Jackson had a song called "Bad" .. the lines go "I'm bad, I'm bad..." and Bono was probably just pulling his leg, Jackson was probably at the Dublin show, and just poked fun at him through saying that.

Thats pretty true , a way of joking with MJ by calling the song , the fact they had the same title for songs , and also remember that thing of 99 or 2000 don't remember , with bono and edge with lambs ? Remember Bono going my lamb is called "MJ , coz he's baaaaaaadddddd" :lmao:

Maybe he was joking. But the whole line was "I don't believe your bad. Guilty before given a chance..." and trails off.

And also in U2 At the End of the World I think B-man talks about how he was worried MJ would commit suicide from the pressure...

Dr. Lemonseed said:
And also in U2 At the End of the World I think B-man talks about how he was worried MJ would commit suicide from the pressure...

Yup. Macphisto's line in Sydney was supposed to be "Michael, I hope you get your new penis." But Bono couldn't bring himself to say that on stage for fear of Michael taking his own life.

Back
Top Bottom