MERGED ----> ZOO TV DVD Hits Amazon + ZOO TV DVD info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WalkOn21 said:
That's a ridiculous statement. Here in Europe about 55% of the tv-owners have a widescreen tv. Now I know it's less in the US, but 5% or less? No way.

and how many TV owners have a widescreen TV in Latinamerica ?:( :sad:

ponkine said:
and how many TV owners have a widescreen TV in Latinamerica ?:( :sad:
Does that matter? Widescreen is not a gadget anymore... Is a common thing these days...

Thereby, you cán watch 16:9 on a 4:3 TV you know :wink:

Doesn't matter if you have a 16:9 set or not. I prefered letterboxed movies for years while owning a 4:3 set, and I would prefer a 4:3 (OAR) ZOO TV dvd now that I own a 16:9 set. It's what it was originally videotaped in. End of story.

For those who didnt watch zoo sydney yet and want to spoil the dvd experience

Go to youtube , search : ZOO TV

Almost the entire concert is there , looks like a response to the dvd

Youtube is an excellent site for watching footage from Official DVD's, so you can preview and have an opinion about the DVD's you want to buy. For example, I've seen several songs from different Bjork DVD's, also you can watch U2 songs from all their DVD's there ;)

One of the most frustrating things about DVD's is the fact that most of the time you can't watch anything, just take a look at the cover and the credits, no more than that :ohmy: and of course every DVD's is promoted as something milestone, but when you can see and judge for yourself, it's the real thing :yes:

:wave:

BTW ...anyone have any idea why Tryin to Throw Your Arms was cut from the official release? I think its because the girl Bono brought up onstage was butt ugly. LOL

jag0918 said:
BTW ...anyone have any idea why Tryin to Throw Your Arms was cut from the official release? I think its because the girl Bono brought up onstage was butt ugly. LOL

several things have been written about this: :eyebrow:

The most popular one is that the girl was obviously under legal drinking age. Other ones say because the band and the record company decided to edit the concert strictly under 2 hours :(

ponkine said:
several things have been written about this: :eyebrow:

The most popular one is that the girl was obviously under legal drinking age. Other ones say because the band and the record company decided to edit the concert strictly under 2 hours :(
If they'de want to cut the DVD short to 2 hours I would have choosen another song... Tryin to Throw Your Arms was one of the highlights of the Zoo-TV tour...

I find With Or Without You the weakest song of the DVD... The anti-climax of the show... Luckely Love Is Blindness makes up for that...

I was at one of those shows in the Sydney Zoo TV video & it was honestly one of the best concerts of any band I've seen - far better than the Pop Mart show. I'd just be happy if it came out on DVD. I'd be ecstatic if Red Rocks came out (1st VHS I ever owned!)

Neilz said:

I find With Or Without You the weakest song of the DVD... The anti-climax of the show... Luckely Love Is Blindness makes up for that...

Thats what I keep sayin , I think it was probably messed up decisions in live shows , to perform that completey different wowy

* Edge > WOWY with a Les Paul Guitar , never again

* LArry > Why did you begun that borin beat on that , why not keep the classic one at least for the video .....

And in overall , why such a short version of it .........

In nutshell only Adam who sounded different as well , had a effect on his bass , but was the only one good on that version.

This morning I saw the Pulse DVD by Pink Floyd. On the back of the case it stated clearly that is was restored and presented in its original aspect ratio of 4:3. This was a concert filmed in 1994.
So I guess that when even a very visual band like Pink Floyd prefers showing their DVDs in the original aspect ratio, then there must be something to it. :hmm:

(BTW, from what I could read on the back the DVD may also have an interesting feature called Bootlegging The Bootleggers)

Popmartijn said:
This morning I saw the Pulse DVD by Pink Floyd. On the back of the case it stated clearly that is was restored and presented in its original aspect ratio of 4:3. This was a concert filmed in 1994.
So I guess that when even a very visual band like Pink Floyd prefers showing their DVDs in the original aspect ratio, then there must be something to it. :hmm:

Please see my post a few pages ago on Pulse (the official statement which can also be found online). Pink Floyd preferred to have it on widescreen, and even tried to convert it. But they were not satisfied with the results of the conversion. 4:3 was their second choice.

WalkOn21 said:
Because of the argumentum ad verecundiam (Pink Floyd says it so it must have great value!).

That's not an argument ad verecundiam. While it is true that my argument centers around my opinion that when another visually demanding band has tried and decided to stay with the original aspect ratio that there must be some value in it, I am nowhere implying that it automatically means your opinion is stupid. But it is another opinion to throw into the mix.

Popmartijn said:
That's not an argument ad verecundiam. While it is true that my argument centers around my opinion that when another visually demanding band has tried and decided to stay with the original aspect ratio that there must be some value in it, I am nowhere implying that it automatically means your opinion is stupid. But it is another opinion to throw into the mix.
Actually it IS an argumentum ad verecundiam. It doesn't need to 'say my opinion is stupid' to be a logical fallacy.

You're literally saying: "So I guess that when even a very visual band like Pink Floyd prefers showing their DVDs in the original aspect ratio, then there must be something to it."

A. Pink Floyd is a very visual band
B. they think OAR is good
so
C. there must be something to it

That's a classic example of an argumentum ad verecundiam.
Why? Because the only argument to back up the 'OAR is good' claim is 'because Pink Floyd says it'.

Last edited:
Talkin bout news , there is a street release date according to Brazilians site , is set for 18 september

i saw ZooTV on tv in a home electronics store yesterday!!

i was looking at some computer parts and i just glanced over to the tv's and i saw the ZooTV stage on a huge widescreen HD tv!!

so i walked over to have a better look and it was playing the end part of the intro where Bono is infront of the screen and a few seconds of Zoo Station.
it was on a loop playing this part over and over.

i asked the store clerk where he got the DVD from. and he said they were playing it ahead of the DVD releases, so i asked if it was a promo disc and he said no.
i completely forgot about the ZooTV trailer on disc 2 of the Boston DVD, that's what they was playing over and over.

not sure what aspect ratio the trailer is on the Boston DVD, but it looked great on the widescreen.

:drool: :drool:

waynetravis said:

i was looking at some computer parts and i just glanced over to the tv's and i saw the ZooTV stage on a huge widescreen HD tv!!

so i walked over to have a better look and it was playing the end part of the intro where Bono is infront of the screen and a few seconds of Zoo Station.
it was on a loop playing this part over and over.

i asked the store clerk where he got the DVD from. and he said they were playing it ahead of the DVD releases, so i asked if it was a promo disc and he said no.
i completely forgot about the ZooTV trailer on disc 2 of the Boston DVD, that's what they was playing over and over.

not sure what aspect ratio the trailer is on the Boston DVD, but it looked great on the widescreen.

The trailer from the Boston DVD is not a remastered version of the original... The final release will be even better!

waynetravis said:

:hyper: :drool: :drool:

(like your new avator Wayne!)

Back
Top Bottom