MERGED--> Xanax and Wine could have been a classic + Xanax and Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dobro815

The Fly
Xanax and Wine could have been a classic

I love the lyrics of Xanax and Wine. I know they are mostly the same. But I like the part where Bono reaches that high note for "Xanax and Wine" Fast Cars is good too, but I prefer Xanax and Wine. With a little tweaking, it could have been great.

I have to agree with you...Fast Cars is so, so while Xanax is pretty awesome. I have added it to my version of HTDAAB...

:applaud: I love it! I just listened to it for the first time. I just can't believe it wasn't included, but I guess thats what the Complete U2 is for! I wish the lyrics were on the site for all these alt. versions.

I love the extra chorus on Xanax and Wine. I have a playlist called Hut Dab All, which includes every outtake and b-side.

Even though it is on the Complete U2, i still think it should have been on the cd. Its more upbeat than fast Cars. I can see how it could have been a rock cd.

I prefer Fast Cars myself. I just love the litte Middle Eastern flare in the guitar playing. I do really like the Xanax and WIne chorus though.

I agree with your first statement, and have to say I like Fast Cars better. I think this songs fits better with Native Son and the first version of ABOY, but would not fit the feel of the released album.

I still can't understand why U2 left the "Don't you worry you'll be fine!" part out of Fast Cars. That's probably one of my favourite bits of Xanax and Wine! The way Bono delivers the line is perfect.

That said, I still appreciate Fast Cars for that Spanish flair - it makes the song far more interesting.

GibsonGirl said:
"Don't you worry you'll be fine!"

I thought he was saying "Don't you worry 'bout your mind".

I like the guitars in Xanax and Wine (and the falsetto), but I prefer Fast cars.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the chorus in xanax and wine is too long... 50 seconds.. it's longer than the verses... i'm sure the band thought the same thing, tried to cut it, couldn't figure out how to do it where it made sense, tried the alternate "fast cars" chorus instead, found that it worked and went with it
:applaud:

I agree with you wholeheartedly Headache!!

U2girl said:

I thought he was saying "Don't you worry 'bout your mind".

It's different in Xanax and Wine. Listen from about 2:50, and you'll hear this:

Don't you worry 'bout your mind
Seems [?] I worry all the time
Don't you worry you'll be fine

In Fast Cars it's just "Don't you worry 'bout your mind" repeated a few times. That section in Xanax is far superior, in my opinion.

I prefer Xanax as well.

I love the long chorus.
I love the extended riffs.
I love the lyrics.
I love Edge singing backup.
I love the falsetto.

Sure it's not quite complete or clean, but I still feel it is superior to FC.

How can you not love a song that has Xanax in the title??

Back
Top Bottom