MERGED-->What is the theme of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
What is the theme of HTDAAB?

I have not listened to the full album, and I am going to do everything I can to avoid it...however, I am really enjoying reading about it and the overwhelmingly positive reaction so far.

So, to those who have listened, can you think of an overarching theme (both lyrically and musically)? What disappointed me about ATYCLB was the lack of a central theme or focuse. Even Bono said it was just 11 great songs, or something to that effect...

AB, JT, UF, War, Pop, Boy all were incredibly distinct musically and on theme, whereas October, Rattle, and Zoo seemed to be more follow-up albums IMO. So is HTDAAB in anyway a follow-up to ATYCLB or something completely different?

Cant wait to hear...

Re: What is the theme of HTDAAB?

I 100% agree with you, that´s the reason why I hated and I still hate ATYCLB:censored: :rant: :silent: :down: :banghead:.

Well, sadly my friend, this is another "singles" album, you know, just put 11 songs togheter to make an "album" :( :sad:. The music itself is clearly better than ATYCLB, but you won´t find any "Sgt Pepper" nor "The Wall" here :ohmy:. I don´t know if about his dad and him, but it doesn´t seem to have a concept, I don´t know:eyebrow:

Last edited:
artdirector said:
About Bono's dad and life.

strongest lyrics since JT.

Agreed - this album paints a sonic landscape in the way that JT does. Very much an album - and not just a collection of singles (although most of the songs on HTDAAB could be singles)

I remember hearing somewhere that it's about moving from doubt into faith. Opening track (confusion), closing track (duh), sorta support this.

One Step Closer seems to fall there, too.

And as for ATYCLB not having a theme: mortality.

"And as for ATYCLB not having a theme: mortality."

I'm glad someone else sees this as well. I also don't think every song needs to fit exactly as part of a central theme either to be qualified a Sgt. Pepper or The Wall; even thouse albums go off on tangents. ATYCLB is not just a collection of singles or songs in my opinion.

UnforgettableLemon said:

And as for ATYCLB not having a theme: mortality.

and to sort of support that, the big idea behind ATYCLB is that there was no big idea. you know, the absence of a presence is the presence of an absence. death is the absent presence.

that kind of thing.

was anyone else scarred by literary theory in college?

UnforgettableLemon said:

:wave: English major here!

:wave:

me too! and i minored in philosophy.

it makes life more difficult, though, always looking for subtext, the fact that what isn't said is more important than what is said, trying to convince people that there's no there there ... it's always fun to surround yourself with likewise damaged (but interesting! always very, very intersting!) people.

I avoid philosophy. And deconstructionist criticism, which almost supports the logic you've presented. While I do agree with the conclusion, I got there differently. But I do still find myself looking for subtext, I think I'm often guilty of finding subtext that's not there. :huh:

UnforgettableLemon said:
I avoid philosophy. And deconstructionist criticism, which almost supports the logic you've presented. While I do agree with the conclusion, I got there differently. But I do still find myself looking for subtext, I think I'm often guilty of finding subtext that's not there. :huh:

well, if you found it, then it was there, wasn't it?

i was big into deconstruction. and post-coloniality. and all the race/gender/class/sexuality stuff.

this is also why AB is my favorite album -- it's a text, the whole thing. songs, sounds, artwork, tour concept ... they all work as a massively impressive work of popular art.

i'm still holding out on listening to "atomic bomb" but i'll be interested to see if U2 can pull of something so coherent again.

Yay for English majors! Me too!

I've already splashed my theory about the theme of HTDAAB all over the place...about it being a continuation of the same central character you find in AB only this time he heads in a different direction. I won't bore you guys with that again.

Re: What is the theme of HTDAAB?

kawai17 said:
What disappointed me about ATYCLB was the lack of a central theme or focuse. Even Bono said it was just 11 great songs, or something to that effect...

I think ATYCLB has a focus, only not as obvious as AB or JT.

I can imagine a character on BD/Stuck/Walk on/Kite/In a little while/Wild honey/New York, dealing with moving on (note the travelling theme on the cover and videos where planes appeared), loss, reminiscing friends, family, lover, midlife crisis.
Up to a point, IMO, that same character is pondering faith in POE/WILATW/Grace/Elevation(?).

HTDAAB theme in two words: Gratefulness and prayer

Gratefulness: Crumbs from your table, All because of you.

Prayer: Love and Peace or Else, Yahweh, One Step Closer

hmmmmmmm. i'm a HTDAAB virgin, and will stay that way until my wedding night (11/23). i haven't even read the lyrics. but i'm a little unhappy at everyone talking about how hopeful this album is. from fear to faith? no! in my opinion, Bono is at his best when he's suffering from extreme angst. i think this is true with most artists, as a happy view on life doesn't necessarily translate to the most compelling art. generality, i know, but even the maligned-for-daring-to-be-melodic ATYCLB is very dark upon more listens. lots of death in there, lots of seeing the darkness and fighting it through recognizing our common humanity. a film example: everyone knows that "empire strikes back" is the best Star Wars film. why? because the good guys lose! luke gets his whiney little hand chopped off! han solo is frozen and he disses Leia in one of the best, anti-sentimental moments in film ("i love you!" "i know.") you see, i think "achtung baby" is much like "empire." darkness wins out on that album. and that's why we return to it again and again, because it is more compelling to be unsettled than to be reassured.

at least that's my opinion.

youre just saying that because its all you know bono to be great at. he pulls this new perspective off just as well as his alter ego. dont worry, you have to hear it to appreciate it, words cannot describe how fuckin good this record is. their best record yet i guarantee it. this is complete as an album gets, no filler at all

ill describe it:

reassurance

the album feels like bono is giving you a long warm hug after you come home from being bruised battered and shoved down all day

Back
Top Bottom