MERGED --> What is the highest note Bono hits w/o falsetto? + To all key/note experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peterrrrr said:
How high is the falsetto scream in 1992-06-15 Mysterious Ways?(he sings: no, no aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah) listen to that one.(Time 5:42)

How high is the "faaaaaaaaaaaaaade faaaaaaaaaaade" part in Bad(Dublin 1993-08-28) in the time 4:18 of the track? The sound he gets in his voice there is incredible. He never got the sound in the 80s of the "fade away" part.

Does anyone know how high the last wide awake part is in
Bad(2005-09-14).(time 8:43)

You can download these three songs here:
http://download.you send it.com/42A81DE23CF754AF

Also The high falsetto note in Night And Day at the end of the song is the highest I've heard him sing on a studio recording.

U2FanPeter said:
Have they ever changed tape speed on a Bono studio recording?

Not that I know of.

BTW, I was listening to Unchained Melody (the studio version) the other day... the "I need your love" part sounds pretty high.

<<why>>

<<not that I know of>>

If you watch the footage of them recording PRIDE you can see them discussing about the length of the song. They thought about it's success of the song as a single/video/radio.

They sped the BPM on the single versions of SIAMYCGOO and other songs released to radio. In the digital age this can be done without changing the pitch of Bono's voice - I don't think it could be done in the 80's.

I've also heard an unsubstantiated rumour from another knowledgable U2 that the entire ATYCLB was slightly sped up during the final mastering phase done by the record company. Considering the labels attitude towards U2 in 2000, the whack mastering on BOMB, and some outtake/MDH material I can find this easy to believe.

u2fp

How about i WOWY after the second chorus he goes "AHHHHH AHHHH AHHHH"... you know... I think that was pretty high.

How about some stuff in OOTS?

kristbg said:

I was listening to Unchained Melody (the studio version) the other day... the "I need your love" part sounds pretty high.

That's one of his best vocal songs, IMO

and the 'need your love' is a 'B'

U2FanPeter said:
<<why>>

<<not that I know of>>

If you watch the footage of them recording PRIDE you can see them discussing about the length of the song. They thought about it's success of the song as a single/video/radio.

They sped the BPM on the single versions of SIAMYCGOO and other songs released to radio. In the digital age this can be done without changing the pitch of Bono's voice - I don't think it could be done in the 80's.

I've also heard an unsubstantiated rumour from another knowledgable U2 that the entire ATYCLB was slightly sped up during the final mastering phase done by the record company. Considering the labels attitude towards U2 in 2000, the whack mastering on BOMB, and some outtake/MDH material I can find this easy to believe.

u2fp

You have no clue what you are talking about...

Discussing the length of the track has nothing to do with speeding up vocal tracks.

If you sped up vocal tracks it would sound like the chimpmunks...

You don't speed up the track to meet pictch:huh:

U2girl said:

I thought Daniel Lanois said in the making of JT DVD that Still haven't found... is "pushing a B in the chorus"?
It is a C, then?

I'd be interested in hearing about the notes on Rattle and Hum, end of Hawkmoon and When love comes to town in particuar.

That was purely from memory what I said, so it probably is a B.

God damn, I am listening to Hawkmoon for the first time in forever, this song rules......

anyhow, most of that 'preacher needs pain' or whatever is an A#.

"hey, hey yeah yeah" from Love Comes to Town he hits another A#

A recent one I don't think has been mentioned yet, what about the "Hey"'s in Electrical Storm?
I also like the "dignity passes BY" in Crumbs and "you've been keeping your love under CONTROL" in Original of the species (aside from the chorus), and the last three or so "I AM"'s in All because of you.

The studio notes are sung lower live as the band tunes the songs half a step down right?

Last edited:
U2girl said:
A recent one I don't think has been mentioned yet, what about the "Hey"'s in Electrical Storm?
I also like the "dignity passes BY" in Crumbs and "you've been keeping your love under CONTROL" in Original of the species (aside from the chorus), and the last three or so "I AM"'s in All because of you.

The studio notes are sung lower live as the band tunes the songs half a step down right?

A lot of them are tuned down, just depends on which song.
I don't know off hand which are which, but there are some guitarists around here who keep track of that stuff.

Controllll=A5 (same as the chorus "everywhere" , he just hits it longer and louder)

ABOY=the "aa-alll" is an A#5-A5
there is a yell in there that is pretty high, I couldn't figure it out (right before the solo)

If he's not singing the melody sometimes it can be hard to transcribe by ear. Especially when he's just flat out yelling.

To all key/note experts

Could someone here say wich key Bono hit in(keys were there is no falsetto at all, just clean keys):

Wide Awake(Bad)
don't you look back(WGRYWH)
Highest key in SHFWILF
Highest key in WOWY
Higest key in Wire
Hightest in Pride
Highest in RHMT
Sing(SYCMIOYO)
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee(Native Son)
Feel(Vertigo)
Highest key in Mercy
Take me higher(EBTTRT)
Highest key in GP2
l'amoure(Miss Sarajevo)
Highest key in Spanish Eyes
Highest key in Unchained Melody
Highest in key Stay
Highest key in Unforgettable fire
Highest key in Ultraviolet
Highest key in Electrical Storm
Love in UTEOTW

Whats the highest key he had hit?

Thanks!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You have no clue what you are talking about...

Discussing the length of the track has nothing to do with speeding up vocal tracks.

If you sped up vocal tracks it would sound like the chimpmunks...

You don't speed up the track to meet pictch:huh:

You can at least slow down tracks to meet pitch. The one example I can think of is Strawberry Fields Forever. Two takes of the song in different keys and tempos were slowed down at different levels to get them to match tempo and key. I think that in order to reach "chipmunk" levels a track would have to be sped up significantly.

From Wikipedia:
Fortunately for Martin and Emerick, the faster version was also in the higher key, and so the two were reasonably easy to combine. The edit is subtle but detectable, at one minute into the song, (though some CDs may show the edit at 59 seconds) between the phrases "'cause I'm" and "going to." (The widely-repeated story is that the first version had to be sped up and the second had to be slowed down. Comparison of the original versions with the final one shows that both of the original versions were slowed down, the second by more than the first.) The pitch-shifting used in joining the versions also gave Lennon's lead vocal a subtle "off-kilter" quality.

Zootlesque said:
It's definitely 'Wide awake' from Bad! But speaking of Red Hill Mining Town, I realized the other day that I can hit all of the high notes in that song myself! It's really not that hard to sing like some people think it is.

Yeah, it's not all that hard.

Bad is though. The C# wouldn't surprise me. I sound terrible trying to sing it because I can't reach it without a falsetto. Bleh.

A couple thoughts hit me while reading this thread:

- the falsetto at the end of 'A Man and a Woman' ("You'll see....") is this the highest ever?

- What's the note Bono hits in 'Sweet Fire of Love'? That's amazing singing. Similar to 'A Room at the Heart Break Hotel', right?

- The afformentioned "with or without you, aahhhaa" at the 1:33 mark (studio version)....I often wonder how Bono pulled that off. I still believe 'With or Without You' is Bono's finest hour in the recording studio.

biff said:

You beat me to it, LOL!

Slow Loris, where's that picture of yourself?
This picture?

slow-loris.jpg

I may be a Loris, but I sure am slow.

:sexywink:

i agree that "wide awake" was the highest note, but i don't think that's a falsetto. isn' the falsetto a weaker sound...something along the lines of the "ooooooh's" at the end of the ablum version of "one"?

The Slow Loris said:
A couple thoughts hit me while reading this thread:

- the falsetto at the end of 'A Man and a Woman' ("You'll see....") is this the highest ever?

I still think that was Edge. I don't believe Bono of today pulled that falsetto off.

I also love the notes in Don't give up live. In particular "keep my EYES down below" and "WHATEVER may go".

U2girl said:

I still think that was Edge. I don't believe Bono of today pulled that falsetto off.

I also love the notes in Don't give up live. In particular "keep my EYES down below" and "WHATEVER may go".
No, I remember reading an interview with the band when HTDAAB was released in which Bono said it shouldn't be possible for any male, let alone himself, to hit that note...or words to that effect. If I remember, he was kind of making fun of himself for hitting that note.

PS. Am I not cute, or what?!! :sexywink:

Could someone here say wich key Bono hit in(keys were there is no falsetto at all, just clean keys):

Wide Awake(Bad)
don't you look back(WGRYWH)
Highest key in SHFWILF
Highest key in WOWY
Higest key in Wire
Hightest in Pride
Highest in RHMT
Sing(SYCMIOYO)
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee(Native Son)
Feel(Vertigo)
Highest key in Mercy
Take me higher(EBTTRT)
Highest key in GP2
l'amoure(Miss Sarajevo)
Highest key in Spanish Eyes
Highest key in Unchained Melody
Highest in key Stay
Highest key in Unforgettable fire
Highest key in Ultraviolet
Highest key in Electrical Storm
Love in UTEOTW

Whats the highest key he had hit?

Thanks!

pepokiss said:

that's a pitch.. or whatever it's called... he went TOO close to the speaker, causing a .. AHHHHHH, I forgot the name...

anyway, it CAN'T be Bono...

can anyone explain this?
Yeah I don't think it was the speaker, his voice just cracked. It happens when you put that much stress on your voice. Another example of this would be one of the male singers at RFK Stadium during Live Aid (forgot which one, not Ultravox but close to them in the setlist).

U2FanPeter said:
Have they ever changed tape speed on a Bono studio recording?
Definetly, but the only documented instance I can think of off-hand is Eno and Lanois slowing the tape of Pride down a bit. Watch the Unforgettable Fire doc included with Live from Slane Castle.

Back
Top Bottom